Alaska: Coral Princess vs Royal Princess

JjC81

We did a Caribbean cruise on Royal shortly after her debut and didn't care for the smaller balcony sizes and the ship in general. Did Alaska on the Coral and absolutely adored the ship and had a wonderful cruise - wouldn't hesitate to sail her again! I was worried we would get bored with the dining options since there's only the MDR + one specialty restaurant but we LOVED the Bayou Cafe and ended up eating there twice during our 7 night cruise. We enjoyed the indoor pool as well and used it more than we thought we would (loved the tiki hut style hot tubs too!)

Aloha deck on Coral is smaller than Coral-Carib, but I suspect Royal is equal to smaller size so no harm/foul with the switch.  Coral Mini's have larger balcony than Aloha deck if that is an important feature for you, though it's uncovered unless you get one of the mid-ship mini's under the bump-out or a mini aft.

Congrats on the Coral - have a terrific cruise!

Edited by LoriPhil

19 hours ago, Coral said:

The Coral and Island are no longer identical. Coral Princess is the better of the two.

I would never go on the Royal to Alaska. Coral Princess would be my choice - more outside decks for viewing. Covered pool also.

Puppies in piazzas happens on all Princess ships.

I went on the Island when she was identical to the Coral, lonnnng before she was changed. 

10 hours ago, JjC81 said:

Sorry. My kids will be 4 (nov so close to 5) and 7. 2 boys. We are getting a balcony so I think we all end up with twin beds but hubby said he can deal lol

They will be happy just with a pool and kids club. We have never cruised so there arent expectations with on board stuff. They do have allergies as do I, but seems any ship can accommodate. 

With your kids’ young ages and having no experience with which to compare it, you’d be perfectly happy on the Coral. Both ships will bend over backwards to accommodate food allergies. Though I still completely maintain my preference for the Royal, the indoor pool on the Coral would be quite a draw for you guys. I had forgotten it has that advantage.

The extra day you’ll get will add to the value for sure. Have a great cruisetour! 

Edited by cruisequeen4ever