last minute cancel versus no show for port tax refund

travelbug615

A couple we are traveling with on an upcoming cruise may have to cancel the cruise after final payments have been paid.  They understand that they will  lose the cost of the cruise as it is after final payment and they have no travel insurance.  My question  is there any difference in calling Princess and letting them know that they have to cancel the cruise  versus just not showing up? (they would be calling only a few days before the sailing)

Will they get their port tax fees refunded if they call Princess?  Will they get their port tax fees refunded if they don't show up?  

It will just be a few days before the actual sailing date, when they will know for sure whether they can go on the cruise or not.

They also have a small refundable OBC with their booking.  Will a check reimbursing the refundable OBC be sent to them if they call Princess to cancel and/or if they are no shows?

We have cruised alot, but have not come across this problem ourselves.  I would like to hear if anyone has experienced this scenario.

From what I have read on here, the "no show" option seems to be recommended for a missing cabin mate.  In the case of cancelling a full booking, if it were me, I would call Princess.  I would say I have had this situation come up (especially if it might illicit some empathy) and I know I don't have TI, but is there any partial refund of the cruise such as for taxes.  I don't think any OBC will come their way as that is something earned as a result of cruising (it is for ON BOARD).  The only thing I might try is if they would give us SOME of the cruise far back as a FCC as long as we book something else within a short time limit.  I would at least try and appeal to them nicely - nothing ventured, nothing gained.  If Princess can resell the cabin they might be more inclined to do something.  No shows cannot be resold on the spot.

9 minutes ago, travelbug615 said:

A couple we are traveling with on an upcoming cruise may have to cancel the cruise after final payments have been paid.  They understand that they will  lose the cost of the cruise as it is after final payment and they have no travel insurance.  My question  is there any difference in calling Princess and letting them know that they have to cancel the cruise  versus just not showing up? (they would be calling only a few days before the sailing)

Will they get their port tax fees refunded if they call Princess?  Will they get their port tax fees refunded if they don't show up?  

It will just be a few days before the actual sailing date, when they will know for sure whether they can go on the cruise or not.

They also have a small refundable OBC with their booking.  Will a check reimbursing the refundable OBC be sent to them if they call Princess to cancel and/or if they are no shows?

We have cruised alot, but have not come across this problem ourselves.  I would like to hear if anyone has experienced this scenario.

Best to call Princess rather than not show up.

Any OBC that was not purchased will be forfeited because the cruise was not taken.

• Like 1

Can they still purchase Princess travel insurance after final payment?  If so, that might be a good route.  It may not be a covered reason for refund purposes.  But they give a future credit if it is not a covered reason.  One level gives 75% and the other gives 100% I believe.

39 minutes ago, CountryCruiser said:

Can they still purchase Princess travel insurance after final payment?  If so, that might be a good route.  It may not be a covered reason for refund purposes.  But they give a future credit if it is not a covered reason.  One level gives 75% and the other gives 100% I believe.

How could they do that?  People start buying insurance and then call up two days later to cancel?  I don't think so.

I would call Princess when they know, that way Princess will begin the refund of taxes and port charges. Technically, they don't have to do anything other then that but I agree that your friends may just want to call and see if there is anything that they can do as far as a future credit of some sort, even if just for the OBC. I'm so sorry they are going through this and I hope they are able to make it. Good luck!

4 hours ago, cruisingberger said:

I agree that your friends may just want to call and see if there is anything that they can do as far as a future credit of some sort, even if just for the OBC.

It is unlikely that Princess will do that, That is the purpose of insurance.

Why would anyone buy the insurance if Princess would allow you to an cancel with a refund, even if the refund is a future cruise credit?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CountryCruiser said:

No.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

It is unlikely that Princess will do that, That is the purpose of insurance.

Why would anyone buy the insurance if Princess would allow you to an cancel with a refund, even if the refund is a future cruise credit?

There have been occasional reports here that FCC was granted IF the reason pulls Princess' heartstrings. Gotta be a real tearjerker, but it could happen.

We had to cancel our last scheduled cruise (Panama Canal partial) in Feb 2018 because my DH "froze" on our threshhold as we were headed to the airport.  Got quick refund of port taxes and fees, but did not get our fares refunded by our Princess insurance (we usually go to an outside vendor).  Two days later he developed a hernia and needed immediate surgery so things worked out for the better so to speak--we've never had medical problems on any of our 50 cruises.  Since then he's developed Parkinson's and has a swallowing problem so no more cruising, but we have many, many pleasant memories from our varied itineraries over the years.