Horizon Court on Embarking

tjcletzgo

We always go straight to the buffet upon boarding because DW gets two votes to my one. Yes it is crowded but no more so than at prime meal times, especially breakfast. Sometimes you do have to search for a table; when we find one we go to buffet one at a time. We always let others sit at the empty seats. Sometimes you have to dodge the perpetually confused or indecisive and those who think they are in a high school cafeteria and do not slip around someone who is thoroughly inspecting each morsel of food before they place it on their plate. 

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2019 at 8:41 AM, 1025cruise said:

You might wish to rethink this. When you board in Vancouver, you go through US Immigration (assuming an Alaska cruise) since the rest of the cruise is all US ports. This makes boarding a bit hectic. Just something to think about. I would drop your luggage and explore before boarding.

We recently transited in Vancouver. Easiest transit ever, they had a photo system to match you to your passport

4 hours ago, Doug R. said:

We always go straight to the buffet upon boarding because DW gets two votes to my one. Yes it is crowded but no more so than at prime meal times, especially breakfast. Sometimes you do have to search for a table; when we find one we go to buffet one at a time. We always let others sit at the empty seats. Sometimes you have to dodge the perpetually confused or indecisive and those who think they are in a high school cafeteria and do not slip around someone who is thoroughly inspecting each morsel of food before they place it on their plate. 

This is why I suggest eat anywhere else, especially on embarkation day!  I mean, so much nicer is the MDR, IC, or Alfredo's.  Do yourself a favor and unless you are in a hurry to put some food in tummy and then explore the ship right then, etc. , please eat anywhere but the buffet!! (Again, just my humble opinion.)

Pooh

8 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Since most passengers head to the buffet we believe the smart choice is the MDR. Never had a bad meal here on embarkation.

Let me offer this tip to keep your streak intact:  do not order the vegie burger.

A few years ago, Mrs. XBGuy decided to vary our embarkation day routine.  Instead of heading to the Trident Grill, we thought we would try the dining room lunch.  Now, we were changing our routine, but we were not going to go crazy.  I ordered a burger and fries, and Mrs. XBGuy ordered a vegie burger.  I have to say that my burger was very good.  Mrs. XBGuy took one bite of hers and decided it was the worst thing she'd ever tasted.  She pushed away her plate.  When the server came back and saw a single bite out of the vegie burger, she asked if there was anything wrong and could she bring us something else.  Mrs. XBGuy declined, and we left pretty quickly.

We did go for an early dinner, that evening.

Also, while I find my story to be a bit humorous, I should repeat that this occurred years ago.  There has been plenty time for Princess to change purveyors.  So, in spite of my opening sentence, I understand that it is possible, if not likely, that the quality of the vegie burger on the various Princess ships has improved significantly.

9 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Sometimes you have to dodge the perpetually confused or indecisive and those who think they are in a high school cafeteria and do not slip around someone who is thoroughly inspecting each morsel of food before they place it on their plate. 

There were literally hundreds of those types on the Crown last 2 cruises. Even after being the cruise for 10 or 20 days they still lined up behind each other like it was required waiting for items they didn't even want. 

It was easier to go in the opposite entrance & work your way backward through the line.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1