Havana area change

jimbo5544

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

You are all over the place on this topic and want to defend your exclusive use of this area. I get it, but not the majority opinion! The majority of people on the ship are families with children under twelve. Contrary to what you have also been posting, the Havana area is not the most expensive area on the ship. Your small premium payment of a few hundred dollars doesn't make you any more special or exclusive than other passengers. Once again, I gladly would pay extra for the Havana area if given the opportunity to do so! And no, a few bad apples should not spoil the bunch. 

The rules are not changing, they made a mistake ans corrected it.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The rules are not changing, they made a mistake ans corrected it.    

Time will tell my friend. The mistake was not opening this area up to all travelers from the beginning. You would still have a limited number of guests utilizing the area MORE efficiently and have an exclusive sleeping experience. Thanks for starting this important thread so we all can offer different view points. Enjoy your next cruise...

1 minute ago, Oldskl said:

Time will tell my friend. The mistake was not opening this area up to all travelers from the beginning. You would still have a limited number of guests utilizing the area MORE efficiently and have an exclusive sleeping experience. Thanks for starting this important thread so we all can offer different view points. Enjoy your next cruise...

All views count here, no exclusion on my part.  I was just stating what happened from Carnivals perspective.  I asked two mgt friends and that is what I was told.  They think they made a mistake and corrected it.  All this said, the Havana area will probably be limited to 5 ships.  Certainly not the end of the world.  While we disagree on the application, I think the idea was a flat out home run.   

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 11:48 AM, Oldskl said:

As I stated earlier, the trip will be fun and looking forward to it as usual. I will address any concerns I have when I feel the need to do so. Agreed, there are issues with many things but this one can be easily addressed by Carnival. Not sure why I am expected to not voice my concerns, but you are allowed to do so at your leisure. It appears many are defending the exclusivity of this area for their own benefit. As many have stated, not all families are misbehaved, unruly, or inattentive to passenger needs. Why should my family be punished for a few bad apples, a security concern, or other bad parents? All the issues you stated above are being addressed with John Heald and Carnival. I always follow thru with my concerns!

Lol, what the heck is the last line supposed to mean?   Do you think you following thru trumps everything?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

I want to thank Carnival for a wonderful cruise last week. Particularly Mike the Cruise Director, Both Natasha's in Guest Services and Camp Ocean, and the entire Horizon crew. Our cruise experience was once again extraordinary! I am amazed to see all of the discussions comparing the Disco, Camp Ocean, above deck pools to the Havana Area. You can't sleep with your family in either of these, so using them as a comparison is interesting. The Horizon has an adult only area, Serenity! This is where adults are able to socialize without any children. It is quite nice, and I enjoyed the communication I shared in the whirlpool with other guests. I believe the Havana area should be opened to all on the ship, because the Lido Deck and aft area whirlpools are over-crowded and not well designed. In the same vane, the Havana area is under-utilized. I am sure Carnival may be addressing this with the Mardi Gras and other Vista class ships in the future. Plenty of space on port side, forward, deck 5 to include additional pools. I understand many want an adult only zone where they can lounge without children. You already have it all day in the Havana and also in Serenity. Why not open it up after 6 pm for all to enjoy. Also, I am aware that many families and adults are not as fortunate as you or I, and can't afford a room in the Havana area. Wouldn't it be nice for a family or adult, who saved up and barely had funds to get on board to be able to enjoy that beautiful aft view, watching their children's eyes light up as they see the wake of the ship from the whirlpool just for a few hours? I think many of us take for granted what we have, and always want to exclude others. Disappointing! Enjoy your next cruise. PS, a cruise tip is to bring your own fully covered umbrella on board to avoid paying for one, have the ability to set up anywhere on the beach away from the crowds, and also keep your family sheltered from the sun and rain! My family is in the blue umbrella. Thank You Carnival. See you again soon!

Horizon Grand Turks 2020.jpg

Btw those umbrellas are banned on our beach here in NJ. Only single pole umbrellas that don’t tilt more than 90 degrees. They block the view of the ocean for all the people behind you and that’s just rude. If you have to use that at least set it up in the very back of the beach where no one is behind you. Sorry for the rant but those things on the beach just bug me. Anyway glad you enjoyed your cruise! And we’ll have to agree to disagree on the Havana area. I’m one who thinks it should be 18 and over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Btw those umbrellas are banned on our beach here in NJ. Only single pole umbrellas that don’t tilt more than 90 degrees. They block the view of the ocean for all the people behind you and that’s just rude. If you have to use that at least set it up in the very back of the beach where no one is behind you. Sorry for the rant but those things on the beach just bug me. Anyway glad you enjoyed your cruise! And we’ll have to agree to disagree on the Havana area. I’m one who thinks it should be 18 and over.

Whats next ,,, opening up the Serenity area to all ? You want a water view for kids , you can't miss it when you look past the railings on all sides of the boat, I paid the EXTRA money for the no kids zone in the Havana area...

• Like 1

My frustration with the policy change is the very limited number of rooms. I prefer interior, but the cruise I want doesn't have any available and I don't want to pay an extra $2000+ for a balcony that I don't really care to have.  I'm currently looking at booking a Cloud 9 Spa room instead, but you can pay extra for the same access from any room.  Should do the same for the Havana area IMO, and would also allow families access that have kids under 12 (including myself). I'd potentially pay for access to all 3 premium areas (Family Lounge, Havana, & Thermaspa) if they were all offered a la carte.

Some thoughts, none of which are likely new to this thread. Have not done Havana yet. Going for first time this April.

1) The policy has nothing to do with fairness. It has to do with what Carnival wants. And that is, people to pay more for these rooms and give good feedback. Seems like they must have had some feedback that led to the change after 7:00. If you want to go to Havana, get a room there. And if they are sold out, go on a different cruise or alter your expectations.
2) The opinion that kids under 12 should be allowed is fine, but clearly not what Havana customers want. If you have kids under 12, sorry. Thems the breaks. I think it’s stupid that a 20 year can’t drink alcohol on cruises. But those are the rules.

It’s fine if people have opinions that kids or non-Havana guests should have access to the Havana area. But that’s not what Carnival intends. And there are tons of people willing to pay a premium who agree with Carnival’s policy. I doubt that cabins are going to go empty because customers avoid Carnival due to this policy change.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oldskl said:

Guest do not book the Havana for an exclusive sleeping experience!  As stated before, all those aft balconies are Havana balconies, even if the Havana pools are empty and no one is utilizing the area, it is still being enjoyed by guest on their balconies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 6:46 AM, shof515 said:

it seems to be the trend now, class cruising which it seems to be is now back. Norwegian has it, Celebrity has it, Princess has it on some ships, MSC has it

If your willing to shell out that kind of money I don't see anything wrong with it.im fine shoveling coal in the engine room myself it's good exercise..i sail msc and celebrity more lately their suite perks are much better.i don't need a butler I'm fine with an inside ,this year we have a(steerage class) balcony because there are 3 of us in the cabin on msc.we sit on the deck or attend shows whatever until we are ready to retire for the evening.

11 hours ago, Oldskl said:

My six year old has traveled on international flights since she was born and we never had any issues or complaints. Most individuals in First and Business Class wanted to hold or play with her. I also paid a premium for her seat, just like you, which is my right! You can't let one flight experience exclude everyone from flying in any area they choose. Question, how many flights have you taken where adults have acted rude and rowdy? Far more than the one experience you had with the screaming toddler I am sure!

Actually in all my flying I have never encountered a rowdy adult. This was also not my first time experiencing screaming kids in First/Business Class. While we may be fortunate to have well behaving children, unfortunately not everyone does. It’s true they may have paid the same fare as us, but when it negatively affects the experience WE paid for, I have a problem. So the best way to keep it from happening is to eliminate that variable. Babies and toddlers are oftentimes fussy and it very well could be no fault of their own such as problems equalizing their ears, tiredness, etc. I just don’t feel it should be “Russian Roulette” hoping that I can enjoy peace and quiet while paying a premium. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, firemanbobswife said:

Actually in all my flying I have never encountered a rowdy adult. This was also not my first time experiencing screaming kids in First/Business Class. While we may be fortunate to have well behaving children, unfortunately not everyone does. It’s true they may have paid the same fare as us, but when it negatively affects the experience WE paid for, I have a problem. So the best way to keep it from happening is to eliminate that variable. Babies and toddlers are oftentimes fussy and it very well could be no fault of their own such as problems equalizing their ears, tiredness, etc. I just don’t feel it should be “Russian Roulette” hoping that I can enjoy peace and quiet while paying a premium. 

Sounds like a reasonable request.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to enjoying the Havana area on Panorama later this year, and on the Horizon and Mardi Gras next year.  It will be our first time staying in this area, but we did get a chance to go out and look at it when we were on the Vista a while back.

14 hours ago, carib1 said:

Guest do not book the Havana for an exclusive sleeping experience!  As stated before, all those aft balconies are Havana balconies, even if the Havana pools are empty and no one is utilizing the area, it is still being enjoyed by guest on their balconies.

Yes it is.

737.thumb.jpg.57c7ec088d338593d101f43743c4342d.jpg

191.thumb.jpg.03cbea391204acd18b5282323330b0d6.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Oldskl said:

Your small premium payment of a few hundred dollars doesn't make you any more special or exclusive than other passengers. 

Agreed.  It does not make us more special, but that premium we paid does give us exclusive access to the Havana area over those who did not pay the premium, either by choice or according to the rules. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, luvsboozecruises said:

Whats next ,,, opening up the Serenity area to all ? You want a water view for kids , you can't miss it when you look past the railings on all sides of the boat, I paid the EXTRA money for the no kids zone in the Havana area...

Sorry to hear these umbrellas are banned in NJ. You must have smaller, crowded beaches. Not the case here in Florida, the Caribbean, Brazil, or the Philippines where I travel. We were set up on the end of the beach with noone behind us, but really never issue because we always walk away from the crowds. Just one of the advantages of using this umbrella, plus you are fully protected from those brief rain showers, the sun, and it is anchored better than those upright umbrellas so it won't blow away. Try one on your next cruise.

Havava area conversation has been extensively discussed. Serenity is fine for adults, and other areas for children are great. Carnival needs to update pool areas on Lido deck and aft pool making them larger to accommodate more guests or add additional pools or whirlpools. This will help in alleviating the desire for others to want to use an under-utilized pool area in the Havana. Enjoy your next cruise!

10 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

Sorry to hear these umbrellas are banned in NJ. You must have smaller, crowded beaches. Not the case here in Florida, the Caribbean, Brazil, or the Philippines where I travel. We were set up on the end of the beach with noone behind us, but really never issue because we always walk away from the crowds. Just one of the advantages of using this umbrella, plus you are fully protected from those brief rain showers, the sun, and it is anchored better than those upright umbrellas so it won't blow away. Try one on your next cruise.

Do you see how much of a braggart you come off as to the rest of us here?

You're starting to sound like that character Penelope from SNL.

This is why several (including me) are accusing you of being entitled. We get it. You travel, extensively, all over the world. The only place you cannot travel to right now is the Havana area. And whether that's fair or not, Havana guests are fortunate to not have to hear you brag about all your world travels while they sit in their underutilized premium space that they paid for. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So wait you bring that thing to Brazil and the Philippines? I mean I was assuming you were driving to your cruises and thus that kind of made sense but how do you fly with that? I have one like that I bought for the kid's soccer/t-ball games to keep the kids dry and it still is large folded. What kind of oversized baggage fees do you pay on that? You can't bring it into the flight cabin I am assuming since it is way beyond a regular umbrella. Or were you just looking to name drop all the places you travel, lol.  I was onboard for supporting your disappointment but you've lost me on this umbrella segway.

Edited by M2LR
clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

Serenity is fine for adults, and other areas for children are great. Carnival needs to update pool areas on Lido deck and aft pool making them larger to accommodate more guests or add additional pools or whirlpools.

Countless posts have been made where Carnival has not monitored or enforced the Serenity guidelines.  There are no adult armbands for those areas.  You can easily take a blind eye to that but expect us to fathom your situation where you can’t be bothered not having access to a small part of a ship you didn’t pay a premium to access with your young daughter.  I hope at 4 years old she is potty trained so that not only her swimmy is protecting others from raw sewage.  

And in case anyone is interested in your stance when Havana WAS open season after 7pm; you were not even happy then.  Your review

from 2 years ago was still critical of any exclusivity before 7pm.

To summarize , your schtick is played out.

Edited by soonernstlouis
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

I hope at 4 years old she is potty trained so that not only her swimmy is protecting others from raw sewage.

His child is 6, not 4. I remember that because my youngest is almost 6. He's been potty trained for what feels like a lifetime and would be insulted at the implication he would not be 🤣. That being said I don't think neither he nor my almost 9 year old are appropriate for Havana. I mean possibly because they are not nearly so cultured and refined but also because they are kids and I never expect them to be mini-adults.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldskl said:

Carnival needs to update pool areas on Lido deck and aft pool making them larger to accommodate more guests or add additional pools or whirlpools. 

Finally the one thing I think everyone can agree to!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, M2LR said:

So wait you bring that thing to Brazil and the Philippines? I mean I was assuming you were driving to your cruises and thus that kind of made sense but how do you fly with that? I have one like that I bought for the kid's soccer/t-ball games to keep the kids dry and it still is large folded. What kind of oversized baggage fees do you pay on that? You can't bring it into the flight cabin I am assuming since it is way beyond a regular umbrella. Or were you just looking to name drop all the places you travel, lol.  I was onboard for supporting your disappointment but you've lost me on this umbrella segway.

Look for a product called Super-Brella via the internet. Usually around $40 at Walmart. Folds into a small umbrella, light-weight, and expands to this wonderful tent. Weighs less than 10 pounds. I carry it on board with me, and yes on every flight since I hit the beaches every where I go. I have to travel for business and get away with family whenever I can...😎

32 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

Look for a product called Super-Brella via the internet. Usually around $40 at Walmart. Folds into a small umbrella, light-weight, and expands to this wonderful tent. Weighs less than 10 pounds. I carry it on board with me, and yes on every flight since I hit the beaches every where I go. I have to travel for business and get away with family whenever I can...😎

That is exactly what I own. The thing is still almost as tall as me when it is folded (granted I am super short). I find it a pain to haul out to the soccer field much less across the country but to each their own. The one end is like a spike to go into the ground. I cannot believe they allow that in the main cabin when I had to throw away a pair of nail scissors years ago ( I am still bitter about that). EDIT: I checked it is 54"

Edited by M2LR
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

A tent is inappropriate at the beach but I get the feeling by reading all your posts here that you think only you and yours count so......

Edited by Jerseygirl1416
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

A tent is inappropriate at the beach but I get the feeling by reading all your posts here that you think only you and yours count so......

Not a tent, umbrella designed for the beach. My posts represent many families. I'll use my umbrella wherever I want and offer my opinion as I please.