Tap water really not drinkable on Lirirca?

Bimmer babe

That seems impossible.  Cruise Critic's 'resident chief engineer' @chengkp75 explained to me once that cruise ships make fresh water from sea water by either distilling it or reverse-osmosis filtration – either of which produces 100% pure water – and then adding the proper amount of minerals to provide good taste and chlorine for safety.  The problem I had complained about was a nasty smell, which he said was problably chlorine – they have to add sufficient chlorine to make sure that tests at the furthest end of the system after the longest possible delay still meet government standards.  At the time, I thought I knew what chlorine smelled like, but recently at home I got a wiff of the very same smell – so as usual chengkp has been proved right!

We haven't sailed on Lirica, but on 20+ ships DW drinks ship water every day and never had a problem.

• Like 2

The tap water you drink on cruise ships is the safest water you will ever drink, as it starts off as distilled water, chlorine is added and then piped around the ship.

It is constantly monitored and you are only a few yards from the reservoir (the sea). 

9 hours ago, Bollinge said:

The tap water you drink on cruise ships is the safest water you will ever drink, as it starts off as distilled water, chlorine is added and then piped around the ship.

It is constantly monitored and you are only a few yards from the reservoir (the sea). 

The tap water on a ship actually starts as sea water and is either distilled by using waste heat from the engines, or. is pumped at pressure through a special membrane which only lets water through, an osmosis membrane, in the opposite direction to the flow that occurs naturally.

dictionary definition

"a process by which a solvent passes through a porous membrane in the direction opposite to that for natural osmosis when subjected to a hydrostatic pressure greater than the osmotic pressure"