Horizon Review - 10/19 - 10/27

ishap

On 10/31/2019 at 9:57 AM, ishap said:

That about wraps up my review.  I am going to end it with some elevator tips to try and help people before they board, and a few random pics from the ship.

Using the smart elevators:

• You choose your floor outside the elevator
  • Choose the floor you want x the number of people in your party.  If there are 4 of you going to Lido, choose the 10th floor FOUR TIMES.  This lets the elevator know how many people are getting on in order to calculate space.
  • Please don't:
    • Choose the floor once and then have 5 people hop on
    • Not choose a floor and just hop on any elevator that arrives 
    • Call an elevator then walk away
  • All of those don'ts are going to cause massive elevator delays and frustrate you for the entire cruise.  

Thankfully we only had to use an elevator rarely as we just used the stairs to go to the restaurant and most things we did were within 2 floors of our cabin.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions about the ship or ports.  

Thank you all for following along!  This was my first long review and hopefully it was helpful!

2019-10-19 Cruise 020.JPG

2019-10-21 Cruise 011.JPG

2019-10-22 Cruise 018.JPG

2019-10-24 Cruise 065.JPG

2019-10-25 Cruise 005.JPG

2019-10-25 Cruise 006.JPG

Great review. 

I just got off the Horizon today and I agree with everything you said about the elevators.  I hate using the word stupid for people who use them wrong,  I think Carnival should make a software change that requires people to confirm the number of people in their party before giving them a car letter, but yes,  that was incredibly frustrating for me.  During sea days lunchtime I 100% avoided the mid and aft elevators at the Lido...way too often when riding up,  the car you called is completely packed.  When riding down,  you see people with a big group obviously only press their floor button once.

Can't lie,  the first day or 2 I absolutely gave up a couple times, or just didn't bother getting in the elevator I called because it was completely packed...and I started using the elevators quite a bit.

I think at this point,  Carnival sees the complaints.   I think the system is actually a really good idea and if people are using it right,  it's much faster.   To me,  this should be an easy fix...enter your floor,  and then confirm the number in your party,  then you get the car letter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyinMD said:

Great review. 

I just got off the Horizon today and I agree with everything you said about the elevators.  I hate using the word stupid for people who use them wrong,  I think Carnival should make a software change that requires people to confirm the number of people in their party before giving them a car letter, but yes,  that was incredibly frustrating for me.  During sea days lunchtime I 100% avoided the mid and aft elevators at the Lido...way too often when riding up,  the car you called is completely packed.  When riding down,  you see people with a big group obviously only press their floor button once.

Can't lie,  the first day or 2 I absolutely gave up a couple times, or just didn't bother getting in the elevator I called because it was completely packed...and I started using the elevators quite a bit.

I think at this point,  Carnival sees the complaints.   I think the system is actually a really good idea and if people are using it right,  it's much faster.   To me,  this should be an easy fix...enter your floor,  and then confirm the number in your party,  then you get the car letter.

I can see this would be a problem, because it may cause some confusion with me. Why on earth would Carnival put elevators like this on? Just a normal elevator would be fine with me. All this new tech stuff is not always better. Granted, my hubby and I are senior citizens, and not huge fans of “smart” things (houses, etc), but I’m sure this may cause confusion in lots of people, regardless of age. 

On 11/2/2019 at 4:24 PM, TonyinMD said:

Great review. 

I think you are correct.  A better way for the elevator to work would be for someone to press the floor they want, then enter the number of people in the party before it calls the elevator.  This would be much better than having to hit the floor number multiple times and will actually force people to enter the correct number of people before the elevator is called.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 4:24 PM, TonyinMD said:

Great review. 

In the meantime, at least for the first day or 2, I wish Carnival had the manpower to have someone by the elevators at peak times to make sure things go smoothly.  People aren't stupid for not knowing how to use the elevators, but maybe they're not thinking you need to press the button for each person- you don't do that on regular elevators.  Or maybe any unfamiliar technology makes some people nervous and they don't really think about what they're doing. 

I understand it's not really Carnival's "job" to teach people how to use elevators, but it would make for less frustrating experience for a lot of people.  Not everyone reads here and knows what to do. 

4 hours ago, purplephenom said:

In the meantime, at least for the first day or 2, I wish Carnival had the manpower to have someone by the elevators at peak times to make sure things go smoothly.  People aren't stupid for not knowing how to use the elevators, but maybe they're not thinking you need to press the button for each person- you don't do that on regular elevators.  Or maybe any unfamiliar technology makes some people nervous and they don't really think about what they're doing. 

I understand it's not really Carnival's "job" to teach people how to use elevators, but it would make for less frustrating experience for a lot of people.  Not everyone reads here and knows what to do. 

Are there instructions on the elevator? I will admit that I wouldn't know to indicate the number of people going to my floor. But even if there was a sign, I probably wouldn't read it. Who doesn't know how to operate an elevator?? :classic_blink: But at that point, it would be my fault for not reading the sign.

6 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Are there instructions on the elevator? I will admit that I wouldn't know to indicate the number of people going to my floor. But even if there was a sign, I probably wouldn't read it. Who doesn't know how to operate an elevator?? :classic_blink: But at that point, it would be my fault for not reading the sign.

4 hours ago, purplephenom said:

Maybe they could post someone there, however there are two LCD televisions mounted at the elevators with the instructions on how to use the elevator.  I did my research ahead of time on how to use the elevators, but I know everyone won't do that.  I stand by my statement that I think the better way would be selecting the floor, then the number of people.

For anyone interested, here is a great video on how to use the elevators:  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Thank you,

Next 3 cruises are on the Horizon, Havana.

Have the Trikes reserved as well for the May Trip.

Can't wait.

Dang.  3 cruises in a row on the Horizon?  That's awesome!  I would like to do a B2B on the Horizon...the 8 day followed by the 6 day.

You are gonna love the trikes!

Thank You So Much for posting the Video on how to use the Smart Elevators. That was very helpful. Myself and my DH are cruising on the Horizon next year along with our best friends who are Cruise Newbies!! Now I think we should be well versed on the Elevators.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ishap said:

Maybe they could post someone there, however there are two LCD televisions mounted at the elevators with the instructions on how to use the elevator.  I did my research ahead of time on how to use the elevators, but I know everyone won't do that.  I stand by my statement that I think the better way would be selecting the floor, then the number of people.

I agree with you that entering the number of people makes sense- I just think until Carnival gets the approval/updated software to do that, there has to be a better solution for the interim than letting people get massively frustrated about the weird elevators that don't even have floor buttons :-) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reeinaz said:

They went over the instructions at the Muster Drill.  And just do your research and homework!!  THey aren't hard, just different!

• Like 2

Pretty excited about the elevators - NOT

My MIL is not mobile; she has back issues, and is trying so hard not to be wheelchair bound.  She can come DOWN the stairs just fine, but she cannot go up.  We will just have to fight the stupid people.  Bummer....

On 10/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, ishap said:

You may be wondering why someone would want to get to the port early just to sit and wait there, well let me tell you...

First and foremost, I am an anxious traveler.  Not anxious in the manner of being nervous about traveling, but anxious as I want to be there, get there, be on board.  That being said, I can't relax at the hotel while waiting to go to the port.  I would rather get to the port early before it gets busy, get my luggage turned over to the porters, get through security, and sit at the front of the lounge with the ship in sight.  Yep, that's me.  And I will never understand why people drag their luggage with them instead of using the porters.  Too much hassle.

I also like to be on board as early as possible.  Day 1 of an 8 day cruise is embarkation day.  So why waste day 1 on land?  GET ME ON THE SHIP!  I know I am not first on board, but close to it.  I want to board, drop off my bags, grab some grub, and since this is a new to me ship, explore!!!

I am the exact same way!  I am on vacation, I would rather sit at the port and wait than sit at home or at the hotel.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your review, you’ve  gotten me even more excited about our New Year’s/ Anniversary cruise than I already was! We asked our PVP for a table for two for the early dining but, I think I’ll email the maitre’d too. We always fly in the day before a cruise. We drive two hours to the nearest city, stay overnight, then fly out the next morning. Having a job in education the only time we can cruise is Christmas or March Break, it’s expensive but, so worth getting away from our -30 weather. We have a balcony although not in the Havana area. The Ocean Plaza for breakfast sounds awesome!    
Again, thanks for all your pros and cons regarding the Horizon! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ishap said:

Dang.  3 cruises in a row on the Horizon?  That's awesome!  I would like to do a B2B on the Horizon...the 8 day followed by the 6 day.

You are gonna love the trikes!

Yes I wish we were doing B2B-B2B-B2B though 🙂

Spaced out at 6-8 months apart.

We did the Vista Havana and loved it last year for our 25th anniversary.

Can't wait to do the Trikes.

Thanks for the review of the Horizon.

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, marci4tony said:

Pretty excited about the elevators - NOT

My MIL is not mobile; she has back issues, and is trying so hard not to be wheelchair bound.  She can come DOWN the stairs just fine, but she cannot go up.  We will just have to fight the stupid people.  Bummer....

Yep, I'm in the same "boat".😛  I have a lung disease and I can go down stairs just fine, but can only do one flight going up.  Will be interesting to see how this works.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:10 PM, MzOhioLady said:

Thank You So Much for posting the Video on how to use the Smart Elevators. That was very helpful. Myself and my DH are cruising on the Horizon next year along with our best friends who are Cruise Newbies!! Now I think we should be well versed on the Elevators.

Just hope the rest of the passengers are as well!  

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your review, it was spot on.  We just got off the Horizon yesterday and had such a great time.  I would definitely recommend The Havana area to anyone, booking that spot made the cruise that much better.  The area was never crowded, and enjoyable to use.  We stayed in one of the cabanas on the 5th deck, and i was worried about foot traffic coming through that area, but since they made the Havana area exclusive only to people that had the wrist bands, it was great.  We were able to come and go from our room and not worry that the balcony door wasn't locked.  

I also want to thank you for the trykes excursion in Aruba.  We had such a great time, it was a unique experience.

8 minutes ago, jgdiablo said:

We stayed in one of the cabanas on the 5th deck, and i was worried about foot traffic coming through that area, but since they made the Havana area exclusive only to people that had the wrist bands, it was great.  We were able to come and go from our room and not worry that the balcony door wasn't locked.  

How was the noise level in your 5th floor cabana?  The one bad thing I’d heard about the 5th floor rooms near the Havana Bar was late night music.  So we opted for one of the 6th floor Havana interior rooms.  Staircase is right there but I was picturing walking a few feet every morning for Ocean Plaza breakfast, then Havana pool, then Guys Pig for lunch then.....maybe never leaving the 5th floor!