Medallion Net - is this a good price?

kokopelli-az

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess in February 2021.   Medallion Net Internet is offered at $9.99 a day for one device.  This sounds like a good deal compared to Internet I have purchased on other cruise lines but is it a good price for Princess?    Is this their regular price?    Do they ever have sales for the Internet?  

I have lots of time to purchase the Internet package but I don't want the price increasing and missing out on the $9.99  a day price (assuming this is a good price).  

1 hour ago, kokopelli-az said:

$9.99 a day comes to $69.93 so your Internet price was a better deal !    Rangeley, how far ahead of your cruise did you buy your Internet package?

Bought it in August for our November cruise. 

On 10/28/2019 at 2:47 PM, kokopelli-az said:

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess in February 2021.   Medallion Net Internet is offered at $9.99 a day for one device.  This sounds like a good deal compared to Internet I have purchased on other cruise lines but is it a good price for Princess?    Is this their regular price?    Do they ever have sales for the Internet?  

I have lots of time to purchase the Internet package but I don't want the price increasing and missing out on the $9.99  a day price (assuming this is a good price).  

In your second post, you indicated you are on a 7-night cruise.  If that is all you booked, then your Cruise Personalizer should be offering you a full-cruise package price of $60.  If all you are seeing is $10/day (the only option for pre-purchase), then check back again as there is either a glitch or Princess has not loaded up the information.  You can call them, but I am thinking you won't get a good answer. 

Here is a full table of Medallion Net package prices, both pre-cruise and on-board.  I am guessing you do not have Captain's Circle status.  If you do, then just wait to buy on board.

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7 $45 n/a $55 $41.25
7 $60 n/a $70 $52.50
8 $70 n/a $75 $56.25
9 $70 n/a $80 $60.00
10 $70 n/a $85 $63.75
11 $75 n/a $90 $67.50
12 $75 n/a $100 $75.00
14 $100 n/a $120 $90.00
15 - 30 $130 n/a $150 $112.50
31+ $180 n/a $200 $150.00
Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, steelers36 said:

In your second post, you indicated you are on a 7-night cruise.  If that is all you booked, then your Cruise Personalizer should be offering you a full-cruise package price of $60.  If all you are seeing is $10/day (the only option for pre-purchase), then check back again as there is either a glitch or Princess has not loaded up the information.  You can call them, but I am thinking you won't get a good answer. 

Here is a full table of Medallion Net package prices, both pre-cruise and on-board.  I am guessing you do not have Captain's Circle status.  If you do, then just wait to buy on board.

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7 $45 n/a $55 $41.25
7 $60 n/a $70 $52.50
8 $70 n/a $75 $56.25
9 $70 n/a $80 $60.00
10 $70 n/a $85 $63.75
11 $75 n/a $90 $67.50
12 $75 n/a $100 $75.00
14 $100 n/a $120 $90.00
15 - 30 $130 n/a $150 $112.50
31+ $180 n/a $200 $150.00

I guess I don't understand this.  

I do have Captain's Circle status, but all I am being offered right now is the $9.99 a day for Internet (for a 7 day cruise).     Your table looks like I should be getting the price of $60 if booked on the pre-cruise personalizer, correct? 

image.thumb.png.58e48b8f28bce93d4007821fe22fdca9.png

Edited by kokopelli-az

We just got off of the Caribbean Princess.  $9.99/day is pre-cruise cost.  Once the cruise starts it is $14.99/day.  How fast/slow/consistent is the same for the rest of the fleet.  It depends what region you are sailing in and how many people are using it at any given time, as well as where you are located on the ship.

MedallionNet system still has some glitches.  It doesn't perform completely as advertised for some of their add ons like chat and locate your shipmates.  Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you'll get a notification, most times you don't.  And sometimes the locate your shipmate isn't accurate.  Especially if they have their MedallionNet turned off or are signed out.

YMMV

40 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

I do have Captain's Circle status, but all I am being offered right now is the $9.99 a day for Internet (for a 7 day cruise).     Your table looks like I should be getting the price of $60 if booked on the pre-cruise personalizer, correct? 

image.thumb.png.58e48b8f28bce93d4007821fe22fdca9.png

This is what it was for us on our last MedallionNet cruise.  It was $9.99 per day or if you booked it ahead of time, it was a little cheaper ... one day for free...for $59.99 for a week.  If you have elite status (maybe platinum, too ... but don't know that for sure) when you are onboard and buy it the first day.  You get a further discount when you trade in your free minutes so a week long unlimited plan comes to approx $54 for one device.  

And BTW, it might depend on where you are sailing but the connection was incredible when I was on the Royal earlier this year.  I could stream tv shows without any problems.  

We were on the CB with the new internet access.  After a few days I went down to the internet cafe and asked them what they offer after I used up my minutes.  I was told that as a P/E they would charge me $9.99 per day.  I did not ask on day 1 what the charge was if I surrendered my free minutes.  Nice to know now about the discount available onboard on day 1.  Our next cruise on a MedallionNet ship I will be down there or maybe online (?) to trade in my free minutes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Yes, that is what I posted above.  I cannot explain why your Personalizer is not offering the full cruise package rate and only the per-day rate.  I think I suggested asking Princess, but you might not get any results.

This is not applicable to your case, but I have seen where a customer has booked a 14-night trip that is really two 7-night B2B trips, that the Personalizer doesn't indicate a full cruise package price and only the $10 daily rate.  I think this is because the booking system doesn't have that priced out and only has the 7-night packages.   Once you are on-board there should be a better deal than buying two 7-night packages (from what I have read here on CC from people on such cruises).

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

If you have elite status (maybe platinum, too ... but don't know that for sure) when you are onboard and buy it the first day.  You get a further discount when you trade in your free minutes so a week long unlimited plan comes to approx $54 for one device.

Both Platinum& Elite get the discount (25% off the On Board pricing).  $52.50 net for 7-nights (see my table above).

I cannot explain why some people who book a single voyage are not offered a full-cruise package in their Personalizer.

7 hours ago, mamkmm2 said:

We just got off of the Caribbean Princess.  $9.99/day is pre-cruise cost.  Once the cruise starts it is $14.99/day. 

They used to claim "Save 50% by ordering pre-cruise".  Guess not and I don't see that on the website tonight.  IDK whether the daily "list price" used to be $20 or was always $15 as I never looked into paying for unlimited internet by individual days. 

10 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Both Platinum& Elite get the discount (25% off the On Board pricing).  $52.50 net for 7-nights (see my table above).

I cannot explain why some people who book a single voyage are not offered a full-cruise package in their Personalizer.

It would stand to reason they could offer you the package price with the elite discount in your personalizer.  In a perfect world .... 🙂

Hey, I would also like to see them offer the wine bottle package in the personalizer so you can purchase it in advance.  

• Like 2

In my cruise personalizer they are offering MedallionNet for $14.99/day for 4 devices.  I think that's a good deal and I'm going to purchase it for our December Sky cruise.  That way we can bring all our things and have them connected all the time and not worry about switching logins.

9 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

In my cruise personalizer they are offering MedallionNet for $14.99/day for 4 devices.  I think that's a good deal and I'm going to purchase it for our December Sky cruise.  That way we can bring all our things and have them connected all the time and not worry about switching logins.

I hope you are not Platinum/Elite.  Otherwise you should wait and order on board.

1 hour ago, beachmets said:

We are on the Dec 7 to 21 Sky.  I am platinum but have purchased unlimited medallion net for myself for $129Canadian.  I would rather not have to deal with getting when on ship.  My husband will use his free 250 minutes.

You would save $10 USD (~$30 CAD) by waiting until on board.

(I know it isn't what Princess "advertised", but it is what it is).

Edited by steelers36

4 hours ago, beachmets said:

We are on the Dec 7 to 21 Sky.  I am platinum but have purchased unlimited medallion net for myself for $129Canadian.  I would rather not have to deal with getting when on ship.  My husband will use his free 250 minutes.

This is what my husband and I did on our recent cruise.  We have a business, my parents with health issues, and kids still living at home.  With those responsibilities we have to be on call as much as possible.  We got the unlimited package for him to have 24/7 access and availability.  I used my 250 free minutes to check my email, check on kids, check on parents, and post picks to family.  

YMMV.  It all depends on what your needs/ desires are.

12 hours ago, beachmets said:

$10 US is $13 Canadian...worth it for me not to have to worry about it once on board

Worth it to me, too.  

I've already purchased the Internet package, so If the price goes down, I'll cancel and buy at the lower price.   If the price goes up, then I'll really think I got a good deal.  

15 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I hope you are not Platinum/Elite.  Otherwise you should wait and order on board.

You would save $10 USD (~$30 CAD) by waiting until on board.

(I know it isn't what Princess "advertised", but it is what it is).

We are both platinum.  Why what is the price once on board?  This is being advertised as discounted vs buying onboard.  

6 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Please read post #7 in this thread.

I did look at that table before but I have to assume it is the pricing for only one device since it doesn't say otherwise.  In which case $14.99/day for four devices is a better deal than that, it is basically half the price.  Unless I am missing something here which is completely possible and happens all the time!

• Like 1