Medallion Net - is this a good price?

kokopelli-az

43 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

I did look at that table before but I have to assume it is the pricing for only one device since it doesn't say otherwise.  In which case $14.99/day for four devices is a better deal than that, it is basically half the price.  Unless I am missing something here which is completely possible and happens all the time!

Yes it is the basic 1 device plan chart.  I do not have a full chart for the 4-device plans.  But you do get a member discount on board, so I would still wait until you are on board and would not book at $15/day.  Since you claim this plan is a better deal, I am assuming you are on one of the 4-night short "inaugural" trips.  That would mean $60.  The 1-device is about $41 probably (but could be different on board as their chart doesn't break it down below 7 nights). 

For other cruise lengths, the 4-device plan has been discounted on board for Platinum/Elites and the net works out to exactly (or very close to) the cost of TWO 1-device plans.  IDK how many in your party, but it takes three people/devices sharing to make the 4-device plan more economic.  It is possible on many cruises that it could be a wash for 2 people/devices as I mentioned.  In your case, with a very short cruise, the daily fee for 4-devices may be better than two individual plans.

But I would wait until on board.  Or, at least visit the Internet Cafe on Day 1 and check the pricing as you might be able to get a credit posted back onto your on board account for the difference.

53 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Yes it is the basic 1 device plan chart.  I do not have a full chart for the 4-device plans.  But you do get a member discount on board, so I would still wait until you are on board and would not book at $15/day.  Since you claim this plan is a better deal, I am assuming you are on one of the 4-night short "inaugural" trips.  That would mean $60.  The 1-device is about $41 probably (but could be different on board as their chart doesn't break it down below 7 nights). 

For other cruise lengths, the 4-device plan has been discounted on board for Platinum/Elites and the net works out to exactly (or very close to) the cost of TWO 1-device plans.  IDK how many in your party, but it takes three people/devices sharing to make the 4-device plan more economic.  It is possible on many cruises that it could be a wash for 2 people/devices as I mentioned.  In your case, with a very short cruise, the daily fee for 4-devices may be better than two individual plans.

But I would wait until on board.  Or, at least visit the Internet Cafe on Day 1 and check the pricing as you might be able to get a credit posted back onto your on board account for the difference.

We are going on a 7 night cruise.  We will each have two devices that we would want internet on. We also get 150 minutes each for being Platinum.  So if you're saying there will be discounts on board, I guess I'll just wait till we get on board and figure out which plan to get.  Thanks for the info!

1 minute ago, grouchomarx said:

We are going on a 7 night cruise.  We will each have two devices that we would want internet on. We also get 150 minutes each for being Platinum.  So if you're saying there will be discounts on board, I guess I'll just wait till we get on board and figure out which plan to get.  Thanks for the info!

We are platinums and get the free minutes also.  As of now, and in our experience, when you book a medallionnet unlimited plan it replaces your free minutes, it is not in addition to.  For instance, last cruise my husband and I both have 250 minutes.  However, he needed the unlimited plan due to business and family responsibilities.  Once activated (purchased pre-cruise because it was much cheaper) it replaced his 250 minutes.  I still had my 250 minutes.  We tested to see if I could use his 250 minutes once mine were gone and nope … they weren't there, only the unlimited plan.

In the past you could stack your free minutes and then buy more minutes as you needed them.  Ships that have been converted to medallionnet internet no longer allow this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mamkmm2 said:

We are platinums and get the free minutes also.  As of now, and in our experience, when you book a medallionnet unlimited plan it replaces your free minutes, it is not in addition to.  For instance, last cruise my husband and I both have 250 minutes.  However, he needed the unlimited plan due to business and family responsibilities.  Once activated (purchased pre-cruise because it was much cheaper) it replaced his 250 minutes.  I still had my 250 minutes.  We tested to see if I could use his 250 minutes once mine were gone and nope … they weren't there, only the unlimited plan.

In the past you could stack your free minutes and then buy more minutes as you needed them.  Ships that have been converted to medallionnet internet no longer allow this.

Thank you for this info. 

1 hour ago, grouchomarx said:

Yes, you "trade-in" your free minutes and in exchange you get a discount off the on board price (DAY 1).  If you decide to burn your 150 and then order unlimited later, you will pay a much higher price.

1 hour ago, mamkmm2 said:

We are Platinums and get the free minutes also.  As of now, and in our experience, when you book a Medallion Net unlimited plan it replaces your free minutes, it is not in addition to.  For instance, last cruise my husband and I both have 250 minutes.  However, he needed the unlimited plan due to business and family responsibilities.  Once activated (purchased pre-cruise because it was much cheaper) it replaced his 250 minutes.  I still had my 250 minutes.  We tested to see if I could use his 250 minutes once mine were gone and nope … they weren't there, only the unlimited plan.

In the past you could stack your free minutes and then buy more minutes as you needed them.  Ships that have been converted to Medallion Net internet no longer allow this.

I have several points:

Yes, the Platinum benefit minutes are exchanged on-board for a 25% discount off the on board price (Day 1 is your best deal).

Your purchase pre-cruise could not have been cheaper (unless there was some sort of system fluke).  No doubt you have seen my price list for 1-device plans.  Although the list price on-board Day 1 is higher than what is offered pre-cruise in the Personalizer, after the 25% Platinum/Elite discount, the net cost is lower.  No, we do not save 25% off the pre-cruise price, which is unfortunate so our benefit is not all that great. 

The 4-device plans are also discounted for Platinum/Elite members on board.  I was disappointed to find out earlier this year after hearing we get 25% in lieu of our old benefit to find out the real value is at most 10% and sometimes less than that.

You can still "stack" the free minutes as before.  If by that you mean one of you logs in and begins to burn minutes and you share that login until completed, and then start the other login (second 250 minutes if cruise is that long).  Total of 500 minutes.  In theory, that doesn't last any longer than if each of you start your own 250 minutes on Day 1 and continue to use your own login until exhausted.  You can then buy more internet as needed.  You won't get any discounts however.

38 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

You can still "stack" the free minutes as before.  If by that you mean one of you logs in and begins to burn minutes and you share that login until completed, and then start the other login (second 250 minutes if cruise is that long).  Total of 500 minutes.  In theory, that doesn't last any longer than if each of you start your own 250 minutes on Day 1 and continue to use your own login until exhausted.  You can then buy more internet as needed.  You won't get any discounts however.

I meant that you walk in the door with your free credits and then buy a packaged of minutes.  Not too many ships left selling internet access by the minute.  And once you activate a "unlimited" package it voids the free minutes.

Each cruise that we have been on has had a different price for the full cruise unlimited package probably based on the number of days of the cruise and geographical location.  I have a couple of cruising friends that have seen paying the same price for unlimited access for 7 days as for a 12 day cruise.  YMMV or it could be a function of when they first started rolling this out and price point involved for them.

We have found, thus far, purchasing the unlimited streaming medallionnet is much cheaper than waiting for the 25% on the first day.  Again, YMMV.  I'm thinking there is still a lot of variation between ships, itineraries, and duration of cruise.  It is starting to look a lot more streamlined however. For instance, I know they changed the price of the internet package from the time we purchased a cruise about 9 months ago to now for a Feb 2020 cruise in South America.  

What's coming for the ships, even the older ships, is changing so fast trying to compare what was, with what is, to what may be by the time of embarkation is likely a waste of time since one, we know once a change is made it is unlikely to change back and two, if you book far enough in advance some of the onboard stuff can change multiple times and all you can do is check your cruise personalizer hoping to keep up.  LOL

Got off the Royal Princess on Oct. 26. We are platinum and decided that 150 free minutes would be enough as we are retired. Medallion net had very bad connectivity. Medallion worked to open the door and show me my statement(some days). Couldn't log on until the fifth day of the cruise. Tried to order drinks and food and got a message saying the area I was in was not covered by the app. We were on Lido deck by the pool fifty feet from Seaview bar. I had issues with other things on this cruise but the internet minutes not being available are more pertinent to this discussion.

24 minutes ago, mamkmm2 said:

I meant that you walk in the door with your free credits and then buy a packaged of minutes.  Not too many ships left selling internet access by the minute.  And once you activate a "unlimited" package it voids the free minutes.

Each cruise that we have been on has had a different price for the full cruise unlimited package probably based on the number of days of the cruise and geographical location.  I have a couple of cruising friends that have seen paying the same price for unlimited access for 7 days as for a 12 day cruise.  YMMV or it could be a function of when they first started rolling this out and price point involved for them.

We have found, thus far, purchasing the unlimited streaming medallionnet is much cheaper than waiting for the 25% on the first day.  Again, YMMV.  I'm thinking there is still a lot of variation between ships, itineraries, and duration of cruise.  It is starting to look a lot more streamlined however. For instance, I know they changed the price of the internet package from the time we purchased a cruise about 9 months ago to now for a Feb 2020 cruise in South America.  

What's coming for the ships, even the older ships, is changing so fast trying to compare what was, with what is, to what may be by the time of embarkation is likely a waste of time since one, we know once a change is made it is unlikely to change back and two, if you book far enough in advance some of the onboard stuff can change multiple times and all you can do is check your cruise personalizer hoping to keep up.  LOL

Okay, what you have pointed out about internet pricing changing by the time you cruise is quite valid.  As we all know, Princess pricing does change over time - drinks packages, gratuity rates, etc.  If customers have booked and paid for something, they are generally protected.  So, yes, if one thinks the internet pricing may well go up between time of booking and sailing, then the on-board pricing may well be more than booking pre-cruise with no member discount.  (Another good reason they ought to give us a discount of something pre-cruise - anyway, I digress).

Obviously, I cannot speak to your personal situation of how far you have booked cruises ahead of sail date, and what plans were offered in your Personalizer (for example, may folks have reported when booking a cruise of X days that is also sold as B2B's of 50% X in length, the Personalizer only shows the 4-device plan as it is priced by the day, rather than the length of the cruise).

But the price list I have posted has been in effect for quite some time now and there is no question that an apples-to-apples comparison of the pre-cruise price versus the On Board Day 1 price with 25% off always means the On Board is something better.  The 4-device daily plan is also sold at a discount if trading in your free minutes.  I am not talking about when Medallion Net first started on one ship and then two, as all sorts of bargains occurred AFAIK.  

As long as pricing stays steady, then you cannot lose by waiting until Day 1.  If you think pricing may move against you, then book it early. 

I will say, that the savings for Platinum/Elite are so small now that one may as well book pre-cruise and not worry about price changes.  You can even check the pricing on board and probably get a credit to on board account if cheaper. 

I am guessing Princess will pretty much leave the current internet pricing as-is until all ships have Medallion Net and then maybe they will do something.  That said, I will probably pre-order myself for 2021 cruises booked as the Platinum price doesn't save that much and they just might have a price increase.  Maybe they will also improve the benefit.  LOL.

Wish I knew some of your trip lengths and timings to understand how you saved a lot pre-cruise.  This is not what other cruisers report on here.  My price list coincides with many other trip reports.  Just saying, FWIW. 

Edited by steelers36

Pricing does seem to be different for the 4-device plan.  According to this post, on-board pricing for Platinum/Elite is $104.99 for 4 devices for 7 days.  This is roughly twice the price for one device.

The personalizer for my upcoming cruise shows the 4-device plan at $14.99/day or $104.93 for 7 days, (vs. $59.99 for 1 device.)  So I could save six cents by buying in advance!  (I probably won't, since I'd rather use my OBC.)

19 hours ago, smf81 said:

Pricing does seem to be different for the 4-device plan.  According to this post, on-board pricing for Platinum/Elite is $104.99 for 4 devices for 7 days.  This is roughly twice the price for one device.

The personalizer for my upcoming cruise shows the 4-device plan at $14.99/day or $104.93 for 7 days, (vs. $59.99 for 1 device.)  So I could save six cents by buying in advance!  (I probably won't, since I'd rather use my OBC.)

The Platinum/Elite discount is pretty small for the 1-device plan, and depending on the length of cruise, may be non-existent for a 4-device plan.  It gets cheaper per day with longer cruises.

It's a lot easier to work with round dollars.  Note that the 4-device cost at $105 is exactly twice the cost of two 1-device plans ($52.50 x 2) as you mentioned.  With two in the cabin, for that length you could book either one.  Otherwise you would want three to make a savings.  Using Cruise Personalizer, two 1-device plans would be $120, while the 4-device is $105, so the 4-device is better - an unusual situation (e.g. for 10 nights, two single plans are $140, while the 4-device would be $150).  

It's a complex situation as each cruise length can result in a different cost scenarios.  Meanwhile the P/E benefit is pretty minuscule unless sailing for more than two weeks.

14 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

The Platinum/Elite discount is pretty small for the 1-device plan, and depending on the length of cruise, may be non-existent for a 4-device plan.  It gets cheaper per day with longer cruises.

It's a lot easier to work with round dollars.  Note that the 4-device cost at $105 is exactly twice the cost of two 1-device plans ($52.50 x 2) as you mentioned.  With two in the cabin, for that length you could book either one.  Otherwise you would want three to make a savings.  Using Cruise Personalizer, two 1-device plans would be $120, while the 4-device is $105, so the 4-device is better - an unusual situation (e.g. for 10 nights, two single plans are $140, while the 4-device would be $150).  

It's a complex situation as each cruise length can result in a different cost scenarios.  Meanwhile the P/E benefit is pretty minuscule unless sailing for more than two weeks.

why even bother answering anymore ... you've put out various examples of what "can" happen ... and we both know Princess and ... what one person gets , the other may not ...

• Like 2

My personalizer is offering $9.99/day for 4 devices for our upcoming cruise.  It sounds very attractive compared to the unlimited package $180 for 34 days for one device.  My question is do I have to buy the entire 34 days to get the per day offer for the MedallionNet?  I am a platinum member so I am looking at $150 for one-device package on day 1.  Do I have numbers correct?

My other question is the availability of Internet in certain regions due to satellite locations.  On our last trans-Atlantic cruise with Regal Princess, there is a day or two when internet is pretty much inaccessible.  On another occasion, we have a full 5 days without any internet in south pacific.  Although in the later instance we were not using the MedallionNet, but I think it is still Satellite coverage issue. So I am concerned about the Internet access at high latitude in South Atlantic that is where we are heading to.  Can any body help to provide some insight.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, scili said:

My Personalizer is offering $9.99/day for 4 devices for our upcoming cruise.  It sounds very attractive compared to the unlimited package $180 for 34 days for one device.  My question is do I have to buy the entire 34 days to get the per day offer for the MedallionNet?  I am a platinum member so I am looking at $150 for one-device package on day 1.  Do I have numbers correct?

My other question is the availability of Internet in certain regions due to satellite locations.  On our last trans-Atlantic cruise with Regal Princess, there is a day or two when internet is pretty much inaccessible.  On another occasion, we have a full 5 days without any internet in south pacific.  Although in the later instance we were not using the MedallionNet, but I think it is still Satellite coverage issue. So I am concerned about the Internet access at high latitude in South Atlantic that is where we are heading to.  Can any body help to provide some insight.  Thanks.

Yes, your 1-device numbers are correct.  The pricing for 4-devices by the day implies booking it for the full cruise (~$340) which compares to a net of $300 for two 1-device plans on board.  From everything I have read and know and seen evidence of, cruises of shorter length also have a Platinum/Elite discount for the 4-device plan, so I imagine there will be something for your 34 days (which is the top of the published price range - 31+ days).  Perhaps someone has been on one these and knows the pricing.

If your cruise is not too far off (and not concerned about a potential price increase), I would wait for on-board.  

If you pick and choose random days to book internet, you pay a per-day price that Princess has implied ("save 50%") is upwards of $20.  Perhaps it would be closer to $15 for Platinum/Elite?  I plan to make some inquiries on Crown in the coming week and although she isn't sailing your length, I imagine the Internet Cafe Mgr will have all the prices. 

BTW - Our 38-night voyage on Regal for next fall is offering the same options as your voyage.  $180 pre-cruise (which means $150 if I wait until boarding which is 25% off the on-board $200).  $10/day for the 4-device plan which means $380 for us.  Not sure the on-board for that one.  We are sailing with friends so I expect we will order a 4-device plan and share it.

Edited by steelers36

4 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Yes, your 1-device numbers are correct.  The pricing for 4-devices by the day implies booking it for the full cruise (~$340) which compares to a net of $300 for two 1-device plans on board.  From everything I have read and know and seen evidence of, cruises of shorter length also have a Platinum/Elite discount for the 4-device plan, so I imagine there will be something for your 34 days (which is the top of the published price range - 31+ days).  Perhaps someone has been on one these and knows the pricing.

If your cruise is not too far off (and not concerned about a potential price increase), I would wait for on-board.  

If you pick and choose random days to book internet, you pay a per-day price that Princess has implied ("save 50%") is upwards of $20.  Perhaps it would be closer to $15 for Platinum/Elite?  I plan to make some inquiries on Crown in the coming week and although she isn't sailing your length, I imagine the Internet Cafe Mgr will have all the prices. 

BTW - Our 38-night voyage on Regal for next fall is offering the same options as your voyage.  $180 pre-cruise (which means $150 if I wait until boarding which is 25% off the on-board $200).  $10/day for the 4-device plan which means $380 for us.  Not sure the on-board for that one.  We are sailing with friends so I expect we will order a 4-device plan and share it.

Thanks for your answer and clarification.  I will wait until we are on board next month.

One more question, my sister is cruising with me on a different nearby cabin, can she use one device if I purchase two 1-device plans?  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, scili said:

Thanks for your answer and clarification.  I will wait until we are on board next month.

One more question, my sister is cruising with me on a different nearby cabin, can she use one device if I purchase two 1-device plans?  Thanks.

There are various ways you can pay for your sister's internet.  If you are two in your cabin, then the second purchase will associate with your cabin mate.  All you would need do is share those credentials with your sister.  But then your sister and cabin mate will potentially be sharing that plan and they would knock each other off if one of them connected while the other was already online.

I just don't get all the quibbling over a couple bucks.  The new always on internet plans are amazingly cheap compared to the old per minute pricing.  We'll be on the Royal in Jan and I'll be purchasing the 4 device $14.99/day plan  for $104.93 for the week through the Cruise Personalizer (we are Elite).  I don't really worry about saving a few dollars by waiting to purchase on board.  So if it costs $105 vs. $100 I think I can handle that.

Last year on the CB the internet service was stellar, as good or better than Cox at home.  Well worth the $.

8 hours ago, steelers36 said:

There are various ways you can pay for your sister's internet.  ...

Thanks for the tip.  This is what ship's IT told me that MedallionNet will automatically bump the other device when another device tries to sign on when we had only one one-device package.  I just wasn't sure if it works for different cabins, then again, how would they track you, we practically surf all over the ship even with one device.

16 minutes ago, scili said:

Thanks for the tip.  This is what ship's IT told me that MedallionNet will automatically bump the other device when another device tries to sign on when we had only one one-device package.  I just wasn't sure if it works for different cabins, then again, how would they track you, we practically surf all over the ship even with one device.

Login is cabin number and birthdate, so a valid combination works as long as someone matching those credentials has purchased internet.

6 hours ago, SDWalt said:

I just don't get all the quibbling over a couple bucks.  The new always on internet plans are amazingly cheap compared to the old per minute pricing.  We'll be on the Royal in Jan and I'll be purchasing the 4 device $14.99/day plan  for $104.93 for the week through the Cruise Personalizer (we are Elite).  I don't really worry about saving a few dollars by waiting to purchase on board.  So if it costs $105 vs. $100 I think I can handle that.

Last year on the CB the internet service was stellar, as good or better than Cox at home.  Well worth the $.

A lot of posters have inquired about the pricing plans and what the difference is between pre-ordering and ordering on board.  So, try to find that out and provide the info.  In the process, I came to realize that there isn't much of a Platinum/Elite benefit as was first led to believe - compared to the old "free minutes" benefit.  I agree that in many instances, there isn't much to be saved by waiting until on board.  But it doesn't change the fact that Princess has devalued this great benefit we had as part of our Captain's Circle level.  Yes, the internet is fantastically better as they were in the dark ages for so long.  And the pricing seems pretty good overall.  I need and want the new unlimited package, but +/- $6 savings doesn't seem to equate to 250 minutes in monetary value is all. 

There was a similar change some years back when Elites used to have 100% free internet as I recall.  It was reduced to a cap on the free minutes.  Now I think we have another reduction.  There have been past changes to CC benefits that brought about grumbling and then resigned acceptance.  Perhaps this is another one, but Princess is quiet about it.

3 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I need and want the new unlimited package, but +/- $6 savings doesn't seem to equate to 250 minutes in monetary value is all. 

There was a similar change some years back when Elites used to have 100% free internet as I recall.  It was reduced to a cap on the free minutes.  Now I think we have another reduction.  There have been past changes to CC benefits that brought about grumbling and then resigned acceptance.  Perhaps this is another one, but Princess is quiet about it.

I agree that the value of the platinum/elite benefit has been reduced to the point it should no longer be listed as a benefit.

The past change from platinum/elite having unlimited to the current free minutes benefit did have a couple of reasonable reasons for Princess having made that change, even if many (including myself) did not like that change.

When the unlimited benefit was initially introduced the only Internet devices for passengers on the ship were less than 20 computers in the Internet Cafe plus computers in the full suites. Basically, usually fewer than 50 passengers could be online at the same time.

Then people started bringing laptops on cruises and the potential number of users at the same time was significantly higher. Some platinum/elite passengers also abused the system by giving their sign-in credentials to friends and family traveling with them. Princess eliminated the unlimited free minutes at that time.

That situation evolved more with the introduction of smart phones, so now there often are more than one digital device per passengers. From less than 50 computers to a potential of 6000 or more digital devices in passengers' hands. Of course, performance greatly deteriorated until Princess introduced MedallionNet hardware which will soon, hopefully, be available across the fleet.

The same evolution of number of digital devices also applies the crew. From a dozen or so computers in the crew's Internet cafe, we now have the crew with a potential of at least one digital device per person.

• Like 1