Rainy day boarding day

island284

I’m sure seasoned cruisers will find this post a “duh” post but perhaps it will help others. 

this past Saturday the rains came and went at Port Everglades during boarding the Adventure. Many, many of us ended up with drenched suitcases that were on the racks waiting to be loaded on the ship. As it turned out even though our suitcase was extremely wet our clothing stayed dry because we always line our suitcases with plastic garbage bags cut to fit unlike most people I’ve talked to. It has taken 2 days for the suitcase to dry. Yes, Royal has helped those with wet clothing but if you can avoid that, why not. 

My suggestion is take the time to line your suitcase. You never know when a shower will appear and disrupt your cruise. 

• Like 4

That is why we invested in some good, hard side cases.  We use to have soft sides, but the stacking really took a tool on them.  

Fortunately, the only time ours got wet, was after a cruise.  That was when we got rid of them. 

2 hours ago, island284 said:

I’m sure seasoned cruisers will find this post a “duh” post but perhaps it will help others. 

this past Saturday the rains came and went at Port Everglades during boarding the Adventure. Many, many of us ended up with drenched suitcases that were on the racks waiting to be loaded on the ship. As it turned out even though our suitcase was extremely wet our clothing stayed dry because we always line our suitcases with plastic garbage bags cut to fit unlike most people I’ve talked to. It has taken 2 days for the suitcase to dry. Yes, Royal has helped those with wet clothing but if you can avoid that, why not. 

My suggestion is take the time to line your suitcase. You never know when a shower will appear and disrupt your cruise. 

My husband laughs at me every time we pack for a cruise because I do the same thing with plastic bags on my clothes. Can't be too careful!

On my way to a cruise all my clothes are inside a few massive Ziplock "Stand and Fill Big Bags" inside the suitcase... during the cruise I use one of those bags to store dirty laundry and at the end of the cruise my still damp and salty scuba gear goes in those bags. 

I learned the hard way when on a rainy boarding day I ended up with a case full of damp clothes. 😞

Hmmm. We are getting new luggage for Christmas and I think this made me realize I need to join the rest of my family with the dual sides that hard case suitcases have. I like the stacking one side better, but my luck will probably run out eventually. 

No issues with the hard sided luggage leaking at the seams??

I bought a shower curtain liner at Dollar Tree and always lay it in my suitcase like you would use tissue paper in a gift bag.  Very easy to deal with and keeps my stuff dry.  It only takes one experience with watching your drenched luggage on the cart outside the plane or like OP posted...

7 hours ago, cindivan said:

Hmmm. We are getting new luggage for Christmas and I think this made me realize I need to join the rest of my family with the dual sides that hard case suitcases have. I like the stacking one side better, but my luck will probably run out eventually. 

No issues with the hard sided luggage leaking at the seams??

It depends.  Some don't have "seams".  I had a couple of Samsonite ones that have a rubber gasket.

Others with zippers may leak a bit, but unless they are dunked in the water, not that much gets in.

10 hours ago, Pat.D said:

On my way to a cruise all my clothes are inside a few massive Ziplock "Stand and Fill Big Bags" inside the suitcase... during the cruise I use one of those bags to store dirty laundry and at the end of the cruise my still damp and salty scuba gear goes in those bags. 

I learned the hard way when on a rainy boarding day I ended up with a case full of damp clothes. 😞

Same here.  All my clothes are in the compression bags.  Keeps them dry and keeps TSA from pawing my clothes😉  Never thought to waterproof the luggage.  Not a bad idea.

It’s a good idea, not only for rain,  but for other liquids. I always remember getting my luggage at baggage claim at the Tampa Airport and when I grabbed my suitcase, it was wet. But it wasn’t water, it was some sort of marinade that smelled heavily of garlic and other spices. Apparently someone was carrying a bottle of that in their suitcase, it had broken and the marinade had seeped into other people’s luggage. 

I washed my clothes and hosed the bag and left out to dry, but the garlic smell wouldn’t go away. I ended getting rid of it.