To book onboard or not to book onboard................

pthjudy

We will be on the December 1 sailing of Anthem and are contemplating another Anthem cruise for later this winter. I usually use a booking site online which provides numerous quotes for me to choose from. I also know I will get some value from booking onboard although the price may not be as attractive. What are my options concerning booking onboard and then transferring to a TA via the booking site I usually start with?  I’ve used FCD on Princess many times but never on RC. Any advice and information would be much appreciated. 

You have 60 days after initial booking to transfer your booking to the travel agent of your choice.

You will keep the OBC from booking on board when you transfer.

Note that to get the best OBC and reduced deposit, you must opt for a non-refundable deposit.

1 hour ago, pthjudy said:

What are my options concerning booking onboard and then transferring to a TA via the booking site I usually start with? 

You may not have that choice for this winter, transfer to a TA has to be outside of final payment.

I have a question as well.

I'm looking to book onboard during my Navigator sailing later this month for a TA next fall - I don't remember exactly, but is there a reduced deposit for longer cruises as well? I know it's usually $480/pp. Also, how the OBC work again? Is it for the current sailing or the booked sailing?

10 minutes ago, Virtopia said:

I have a question as well.

I'm looking to book onboard during my Navigator sailing later this month for a TA next fall - I don't remember exactly, but is there a reduced deposit for longer cruises as well? I know it's usually $480/pp. Also, how the OBC work again? Is it for the current sailing or the booked sailing?

Yes, there is a reduced deposit for all non-suite (not including JS) staterooms booked onboard, as long as you opt for a non-refundable deposit.

Princess FCD are $100 and get that as booking price for a cruise plus some onboard credit depending on cruise length.  Don't have to actually book anything onboard to buy the certificate and generally no advantage actually doing the booking then.

Royal was giving out up to $600 onboard credit and low deposits on Allure a few weeks ago.  But if you just bought a credit on a future unknown cruise there really wasn't any benefit.  If you know which cruise you want, book onboard and transfer to your regular TA either then or as soon as you get home.  But, as Biker says, must be before final payment date.

If you want to use the same TA as booked the cruise you are on, RCI will automatically transfer it to them

In our case, after booking, I emailed our TA, and she had already received the booking from RCI.

I tried to book onboard Empress in August for a Rhapsody cruise this April. Price was high the week I picked. I asked what was the lowest rate in April. I was told they can just plug in one date at a time. Not very helpful at all. I walked away and booked online when I got home and will transfer the reservation to an online TA to get perks.  I rather see different prices and make a decision. 

Edited by coaster

On 11/5/2019 at 12:02 PM, coaster said:

I tried to book onboard Empress in August for a Rhapsody cruise this April. Price was high the week I picked. I asked what was the lowest rate in April. I was told they can just plug in one date at a time. Not very helpful at all. I walked away and booked online when I got home and will transfer the reservation to an online TA to get perks.  I rather see different prices and make a decision. 

Interesting.  When I was on Anthem in August and was looking for July 2020 cruises, I asked for the least expensive Oasis July cruise and she let me know which one it was and I booked it.