Be alert when using mysilversea re passports

eastwoodboy

Just a note to be alert when inputting passport information on mysilversea.

Not for the first time I have found that information I have inputted for my wife has been copied onto my passport details when I get there. Fortunately our dates are about 5 years out of sync so it is quite easy to spot but if in a hurry or not fully paying attention it could happen that the wrong dates are input. 

I do not think it would be a problem unless and until things are checked by the authorities at any port but just as well to be aware.

I can’t remember which fields or inputs but I do recall when I was double checking our information I have run into some of it being carry forward from my information to my wife’s or vice versa.   One I remember, because it kind if struck me hard at the time, was my emergency contact information.   Last cruise, and actually for years, I’d been using my younger sister.  Sadly she passed away late last year after our last cruise and I had not gone into MySilversea to change my information.  Took me back a bit but I filled in a different contact and when I checked my wife’s it had been auto-populated with my information.  We’ve always used two different contacts just in case they had trouble contacting one or the other.   Point is it happens on not just passports but passport information is critical for sure.   

20 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Not the same but the last 3 cruises our key cards had the wrong p/p #s on them. we found this out in Singapore

when had trouble getting back on the ship.

Wow!  Three cruises!?!?!  Something is really wrong with the system not to mention the front office staff should have noticed.   

• 6 months later...

We have just noticed that both mine and DW's Venetian Society numbers are the same. Is this usual for Silversea or is it an IT gremlin? Every other line's loyalty scheme give me and DW different numbers. We are getting this 'crossover' of information as well.

1 hour ago, SteveH2508 said:

We have just noticed that both mine and DW's Venetian Society numbers are the same. Is this usual for Silversea or is it an IT gremlin? Every other line's loyalty scheme give me and DW different numbers. We are getting this 'crossover' of information as well.

I just double checked our Society numbers and they are different.   Mine is Xxxx226 and Mrs K’s is Xxxx227 so consecutive but different.   Could be crossover but since that data is top loaded by the system and not by the passenger it sounds more like a glitch in the system.   It may not make any difference but you might want to contact Silversea to get it corrected.

5 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I just double checked our Society numbers and they are different.   Mine is Xxxx226 and Mrs K’s is Xxxx227 so consecutive but different.   Could be crossover but since that data is top loaded by the system and not by the passenger it sounds more like a glitch in the system.   It may not make any difference but you might want to contact Silversea to get it corrected.

DW tried a few weeks ago but the communication seems to have flown off into the ether somewhere. We shall try again when  things return to some semblance of normality. Thanks.

When entering personal information on a website, your web browser may remember certain entries and auto-enter it for you in similar fields, so you really need to watch and pay attention. It's not necessarily that Silversea stores the data incorrectly, it's that you have inadvertently entered information that's incorrect due to your browser trying to help you.

10 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

When entering personal information on a website, your web browser may remember certain entries and auto-enter it for you in similar fields, so you really need to watch and pay attention. It's not necessarily that Silversea stores the data incorrectly, it's that you have inadvertently entered information that's incorrect due to your browser trying to help you.

Browsers have the "auto form history" enabled by default - and since the "field names" would be the same for both passengers, the browser would have no way to "know" that a different value was needed.

Sure, those form fillers and auto-correct and the rest may occasionally be useful.  But when they load incorrect info, look out.  I highly recommend disabling that feature on all devices.

Plus, the browser stores that form data in unencrypted form, so anyone with access to your machine can get all that form data with little trouble.  (And FWIW, that includes credit card numbers entered into data fields).