Amsterdam Hotel Suggestions Needed

Radbooks

You're going to arrive in Amsterdam, overnight, and then fly out? 

I would say you don't have to. If you're going to have a full day in the city, you may not want to. But you'll be a very early riser on the morning of your flight. But probably only a half hour taxi to the airport

I think you can leave luggage for the day at Centraal, which would give you the day in the city. Then head out to one of the airport hotels for a short night and early morning. That "may" be a better deal than staying in the city and leaving at 5:00 in the morning...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

unfortunately i posted similarly on Trip Advisor and got my head bitten off wanting exact dates and budget!

Hotel prices in Amsterdam can swing wildly due to limited supply and at times huge demand. The same hotel that might cost €100 per night in January, could set you back €300 per night in the height of the tulip season. That’s why for Amsterdam exact dates and a budget are critical. There are some great hotel experts on the Amsterdam TripAdvisor forum, but you have to give them some details to be able to help you.

29 minutes ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

Hotel prices in Amsterdam can swing wildly due to limited supply and at times huge demand. The same hotel that might cost €100 per night in January, could set you back €300 per night in the height of the tulip season. That’s why for Amsterdam exact dates and a budget are critical. There are some great hotel experts on the Amsterdam TripAdvisor forum, but you have to give them some details to be able to help you.

Thanks for the input, appreciated, but it was more a location and transport questions as the exact one here . I find the booking engine maps great once you know the transport etc and you can see the prices for various properties for different dates.(great if your dates a little flexible as mine are)

Anyway, Frieda has answered it beautifully for me and the other kind people here, just wanted to thank them.

I see that Frieda has recommended the XO hotel out by Sloterdijk. This may be a good choice for her budget and dates, that doesn’t mean it’s a good choice for everyone. The area around the hotel is a sterile office area, there aren’t a lot of restaurants in the vicinity. I know this because my office is located there. Also the owners of the XO hotels are suspects in an ongoing fraud investigation, which is why the city of Amsterdam has revoked their license to sell alcohol. This means no alcohol is sold in the bars and restaurants of the hotel and no liquor in the mini-bar.

The point I’m trying to make is that there is not 1 easy solution for everyone. It could very well be that for your dates and budget you can find a great hotel right in the historical city center of Amsterdam. And the experts on the TripAdvisor forum are great at helping people find these hotels.

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

• 2 weeks later...

Not to butt in, but I'm still looking for advice on a pre-cruise stay the end of June.  All of the suggested hotels are either not available or way out of our price range.  Any advice on where to look for hotels in Amsterdam?  We are arriving early and will have 2 nights to be tourists before the cruise.  Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, iowegean said:

Not to butt in, but I'm still looking for advice on a pre-cruise stay the end of June.  All of the suggested hotels are either not available or way out of our price range.  Any advice on where to look for hotels in Amsterdam?  We are arriving early and will have 2 nights to be tourists before the cruise.  Thanks in advance.

I would recommend that you utilize a site like booking.com where you can filter hotel selections for price & distance.

Last April, my fiancé and I stayed at the Kimpton DeWitt and generally loved it. They were renovating parts of the hotel so some of the public spaces were blocked off. The attached coffee stand with beignets was also closed while we were there. Rooms were well appointed, though there wasn't a lot of available storage. If you're someone that wants to unpack the suitcase, there aren't a lot of drawers available. There is limited space to hang things up. We didn't mind it for a couple of nights. Bathroom was great. They offer a free happy hour with complimentary wine every night - it wasn't the best wine, but it was a nice touch. The on-site restaurant was very good, too. Best of all, for us, was the location. Not much more than a 5 minutes walk from the main train station. Plenty of trams nearby to take you where you need to go. We didn't have any issues with noise from the street or other guests. 

On 11/12/2019 at 8:53 AM, retired1 said:

We’ve stayed at Banks Mansion every time we’re in Amsterdam.  Great hotel in a wonderful location.

Thank you for this suggestion! Looks awesome and we are going to book it for our stay in July.  What is the easiest way to get from the cruise port to the hotel.  There are 4 of us with luggage.  Thanks again!!

On 12/21/2019 at 4:51 AM, Sallyandtex said:

Thankyou for the great advice on this thread!

Exactly was my question, (unfortunately i posted similarly on Trip Advisor and got my head bitten off wanting exact dates and budget!)

Cruise critic people are awesome, thankyou!

Haha, I shake in my boots whenever I contemplate asking a question on Trip Advisor, always get some snarky replies that make you feel like an idiot! It can happen on here too but generally much friendlier and helpful I feel, even tho I believe they're owned by the same company. I've also found when I search on TA the information is years old despite changing the search preference to "date". I give up!

Anyway, some great advise on this thread, our cruise ends in Amsterdam on 16th May 2020 and for us the hotel prices are way out of our budget in the downtown area so ended up booking on Priceline with their "Express Deal" in the airport area and got the Crowne Plaza, (Club Room) which was still AUD$230/night, (about double what we would pay in most cities of the world!). Planning to store our luggage at Central Station and sight-see for the day and head for the hotel later as checkin won't be until 3pm.  Staying two nights and hope to do a tour to Volendam/windmills on the second day.

By the way, Banks Mansion looks great but at AUD$954/2 nights - whoa!!

Cheers!

Sue and Peter

Edited by sussanahrose

1 hour ago, sussanahrose said:

Haha, I shake in my boots whenever I contemplate asking a question on Trip Advisor, always get some snarky replies that make you feel like an idiot! It can happen on here too but generally much friendlier and helpful I feel, even tho I believe they're owned by the same company. I've also found when I search on TA the information is years old despite changing the search preference to "date". I give up!

Anyway, some great advise on this thread, our cruise ends in Amsterdam on 16th May 2020 and for us the hotel prices are way out of our budget in the downtown area so ended up booking on Priceline with their "Express Deal" in the airport area and got the Crowne Plaza, (Club Room) which was still AUD$230/night, (about double what we would pay in most cities of the world!). Planning to store our luggage at Central Station and sight-see for the day and head for the hotel later as checkin won't be until 3pm.  Staying two nights and hope to do a tour to Volendam/windmills on the second day.

By the way, Banks Mansion looks great but at AUD$954/2 nights - whoa!!

Cheers!

Sue and Peter

I am hearing you! I thought Vancouver was expensive.

We ended up booking Hampton by Hilton €228 about $360 AUD last time I checked, as the Movenpick was $580! We arrive by train so it's easy to get a tram a few stops to our hotel.

Enjoy the cruise I am so excited!

• Like 1

Any fresh updates/opinions on NH Grand Krasnapolsky.... W... Sofitel Legend? 

Have booking at Doubletree, but not convinced this is where we want to be.......

Any suggestions for transfer from Schiphol to downtown hotel? Train is too much effort with luggage after an overnight flight.

16 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Any fresh updates/opinions on NH Grand Krasnapolsky.... W... Sofitel Legend? 

Have booking at Doubletree, but not convinced this is where we want to be.......

Any suggestions for transfer from Schiphol to downtown hotel? Train is too much effort with luggage after an overnight flight.

Are you just overnighting or doing a few days pre-cruise?

I haven’t stayed at the Doubletree, but it’s a great pre-cruise location. There’s a lot to do around Centraal, and it’s the transit hub which makes it easy to get anywhere. If you’re there several days, could be a different story. 

I’ve only cabbed it before. Not inexpensive but convenient. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cab from the airport to city centre Amsterdam will cost around E. 60. or more depending traffic. You might try Uber which often is cheaper. Pickup is not at the terminal but near the Sheraton Airport Hotel Otherwise indeed train will be the cheapest and easiest.