I Want My Infinite Balcony!

Sascol

We are on the Edge now. Love most of it so far. Generally we have no issues with the infinite balcony. we thought it might be a weird setup but it's kinda cool and we love the extra space it adds to the cabin. 

One thing that we do NOT like though is that at certain times, the ship hijacks control of it and we are not able to use it for hours at a time. Kinda rainy?  Won't open. A little breezy?  Won't open. 

I get it.  They need to prevent the weather from impacting the rest of the cabin but they need a way to allow use of it if the weather is bad as long as the folding doors are shut behind you. We did not realize this was a thing until after we boarded and tried to use it. 

We had the same problem back on our NYE cruise on Edge. I had read that it was because the ship was so new that they were excessively locking them for every little thing. Supposedly that had stopped because they had more experience of the ship now. Evidently not. I know there were complaints about it after our cruise.

Mary Ann

Edited by UFMOM

Has there been bad weather?  This is a TA I believe...so maybe conditions differ ??   In Jim's live  review, he said the crew was tying things down and he posted videos of windy conditions on deck.,,

On our January cruise on the EDGE ,  as far as we know, it was closed for window washing  and  rain but not much more., but we did not open the window very much . We would not sit out in bad weather and never closed the bi folds.

We'll be trying a Sunset Veranda with an outdoor balcony on Nov 15th...Hoping for sunshine and smooth seas!  Hope you have that for the rest of your cruise

Edited by hcat

This was well-described early on (and is in the dailies "The wait won't be infinite" describes why they sometimes lock the windows) - many early reviews mentioned it. After the first couple of months, most reviewers said that it was infrequent and just for washing on their cruises. That may be why you haven't seen anything recently.

As was reported on two other threads for your cruise, the weather has been extremely rough so that may be why it has been more of an issue. Hopefully you will have smooth sailing and a window that opens for the remainder of the cruise (except for cleaning).

During our cruise on the Edge, just a few weeks ago, they were automatically closed and locked out just once during the night when the weather got bad, they were available again in the morning. In my view they were not locked enough for window washing as the last 5 days of the cruise the windows were filthy with salt and dried rain drops.

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Has there been bad weather?  This is a TA I believe...so maybe conditions differ ??   In Jim's live  review, he said the crew was tying things down and he posted videos of windy conditions on deck.,,

On our January cruise on the EDGE ,  as far as we know, it was closed for window washing  and  rain but not much more., but we did not open the window very much . We would not sit out in bad weather and never closed the bi folds.

We'll be trying a Sunset Veranda with an outdoor balcony on Nov 15th...Hoping for sunshine and smooth seas!  Hope you have that for the rest of your cruise

Please fill us in on your SV experience when you return...I have seen some pictures but no reviews.  We board 12/1....just 27 short days away!!!  I am also reading Jim's review...he has great info and pictures.

Hi. OP here.  To address the weather, yes, there has been SOME bad weather. Last night high winds so I get that. There have been other instances though where maybe a light sprinkle and very little winds to speak of where the windows were locked in the up position. Nothing that would impact the interior of the cabin. 

Just seems excessively cautious to us so far. Maybe this will change. Stay tuned!

Hi. OP here.  To address the weather, yes, there has been SOME bad weather. Last night high winds so I get that. There have been other instances though where maybe a light sprinkle and very little winds to speak of where the windows were locked in the up position. Nothing that would impact the interior of the cabin. 

Just seems excessively cautious to us so far. Maybe this will change. Stay tuned!

8 minutes ago, Sascol said:

They will likely have a Navigation talk in the theater with the Captain answering questions during the cruise. It was very interesting. That sounds like a good question to ask during the Q+A.

Read about some damage to the ship last night - part of the Edge was ripped off by the wind (ceiling in smoking area and some of the overhang of the Magic Carpet)!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, vtcruising said:

They will likely have a Navigation talk in the theater with the Captain answering questions during the cruise. It was very interesting. That sounds like a good question to ask during the Q+A.

Read about some damage to the ship last night - part of the Edge was ripped off by the wind (ceiling in smoking area and some of the overhang of the Magic Carpet)!

Also Iconic suite and outdoor Retreat, as per recent  post..Jim.  said the  smoking area was re opened..