Can I Opt out of Medallion Use on Royal Princess?

jimdee3636

Cruiser, certainly not required, but, in addition to the security picture used by the Princess personnel, you can also load an "alternate" picture (I don't remember the official name of it) that is used for public displays.  My wife uploaded a picture of our cat.  I uploaded what I thought was a pretty comical picture of myself from a previous cruise which, coincidentally, I doubt anybody could ever recognize as me.

14 hours ago, Cruiser933 said:

My understanding is that my name and photo will pop up on screens throughout the ship when I am in close proximity. 

Your name doesn't pop up on any of the screens. You can also change the picture that displays on the screens to anything you like.

I don't need pushy salespeople greeting me by name.  I have also seen mention of names and pictures being shown to your fellow passengers when you are waiting for an elevator. 

???

Can I opt out of these features?  Maybe this is more of a concern to women than men.  I am not concerned that Princess knows where I ate dinner or what I bought since they would have already known that.

See above.

14 hours ago, Haboob said:

Then toggle the "safety only" option in your Medallion profile -- or ask the Purser's Desk to do it for you.

I'm not having any luck finding this setting. Is it only available on the  Medallionnet once on board the ship (we board the Regal tomorrow) or is it settable before hand? We're fully "Ocean Ready" per the app but I can't find the "safety only" setting. Thanks.

1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

I'm not having any luck finding this setting. Is it only available on the  Medallionnet once on board the ship (we board the Regal tomorrow) or is it settable before hand? We're fully "Ocean Ready" per the app but I can't find the "safety only" setting. Thanks.

It could be because the Ocean Ready app have been discontinued recently.

Fun isn't it?

3 minutes ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

It could be because the Ocean Ready app have been discontinued recently.

Fun isn't it?

I'm actually using the latest "Medallion Class" app, not the old one. Per the newest app, we're "Ocean Ready" but I cannot find the "safety only" setting referenced above.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I'm actually using the latest "Medallion Class" app, not the old one. Per the newest app, we're "Ocean Ready" but I cannot find the "safety only" setting referenced above.

I just spoke to the OM staff here on the Sky and specifically asked about this so called “safety only”.

There is no such thing.

There is a process to stop anyone from inputting your info and finding or adding you as a contact.

In the Ocean Compass section  (which you have to sign into with your cabin # name/birthday) click on your profile photo/initials upper left and it gives you the option to “hide my location from guests”.

The PSD cannot do anything about any “safety” setting which they tell me does not exist.

This may be what some are talking about.

Based on what I am seeing in this section you cannot just input someone and look for them. 
They have to be added as a shipmate at some point.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 8:29 AM, Stevanb said:

That works   But  we  put ours in the safe  and they came and changed the sensors in our cabin both of them as they thought they where not working   The one  n the bathroom is really disturbing

Good thing it was only the sensors.

One of the posters here insists the ship will initiate an emergency search for you

if they lose contact with your medallion.

If he were right,  the ship would be searching endlessly, and never make it to the next port..

25 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I just spoke to the OM staff here on the Sky and specifically asked about this so called “safety only”.

There is no such thing.

There is a process to stop anyone from inputting your info and finding or adding you as a contact.

In the Ocean Compass section  (which you have to sign into with your cabin # name/birthday) click on your profile photo/initials upper left and it gives you the option to “hide my location from guests”.

The PSD cannot do anything about any “safety” setting which they tell me does not exist.

This may be what some are talking about.

Based on what I am seeing in this section you cannot just input someone and look for them. 
They have to be added as a shipmate at some point.

Quoting:

Will I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?
If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/ocean_medallion.jsp

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, Cruiser933 said:

I don’t consider myself to fall into the tinfoil hat camp. I just like to keep my info secure from random strangers. I am looking for something to keep my medallion handy to take out and use when I want it and secure in my pocket when I don’t.  I prefer something small rather than a bulky wallet since one of the benefits to cruising is that I don’t need to carry my wallet all the time.

Amazon is your friend. :classic_wink:

6 minutes ago, Haboob said:

Quoting:

If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today.

That’s great but they say it does not exist. Unless they are referring to the process I outlined above.

They know nothing of “safety only”.

18 hours ago, Cruiser933 said:

My understanding is that my name and photo will pop up on screens throughout the ship when I am in close proximity.  I have also seen mention of names and pictures being shown to your fellow passengers when you are waiting for an elevator. 

I have been on three medallion cruises and can say I have never seen this happen.  You would have to your medallion next to the device to logon to the screen.  If you are concerned about your photo, use an avatar instead.  There are two photos stored,  one is for identification as you enter or leave the ship and the other is for use around the ship.

These are my observations on the three medallion cruises I have taken.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Good thing it was only the sensors.

One of the posters here insists the ship will initiate an emergency search for you

if they lose contact with your medallion.

If he were right,  the ship would be searching endlessly, and never make it to the next port..

Make that "if they lose contact with your Medallion while you are where you could have fallen into the sea".

You'll notice, too, the newer ships have less such areas (bye, bye Promenades) and balconies from where you would fall onto a lower deck rather than into the water.  Had that pointed out to me by a Princess captain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

That’s great but they say it does not exist. Unless they are referring to the process I outlined above.

They know nothing of “safety only”.

Alas, that only means the person you talked to needs more training.

BTDT - last April.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haboob said:

Alas, that only means the person you talked to needs more training.

BTDT - last April.

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Or they need to stop printing stuff that does not apply.

BTDT - last April.

12 minutes ago, Haboob said:

Quoting:

After reading the above link there's another part of their documentation which is also not correct. It's true that people wouldn't be able to charge to the medallion but would certainly be able to get into your cabin. 

"Could other people find it and use it to get into your room or charge purchases to you?
The Ocean Medallion contains no personal information. Your Ocean Medallion is associated with your profile that contains your onboard security picture. If that picture does not match a guest when a purchase is being made or when someone other than the original guest is nearby, access will not be granted to a stateroom and purchases cannot be made."

47 minutes ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

After reading the above link there's another part of their documentation which is also not correct. It's true that people wouldn't be able to charge to the medallion but would certainly be able to get into your cabin. 

"Could other people find it and use it to get into your room or charge purchases to you?
The Ocean Medallion contains no personal information. Your Ocean Medallion is associated with your profile that contains your onboard security picture. If that picture does not match a guest when a purchase is being made or when someone other than the original guest is nearby, access will not be granted to a stateroom and purchases cannot be made."

Yeah, they're wordsmithing there.  "Access will not be granted" means a crew member looking at your picture on his tablet and opening the door for someone else.  Lawyers at work.

Going to be on the Sky Dec 7, 2019 and then again on the Royal in January 2020.  Check in is asking me to download the Medallion Class Act which I did do to my phone.  However, it asks for a Security Photo (ok that is fine) and it also wants a Profile Photo.  What is the difference.  Seems to refer to picture in the profile will show on monitors as you approach any screen.    I really do hate receiving the incessant marketing time and time again in my cabin.  I really do not like the whole idea of the Medallion as I am sure that if I walk into the Effy store, I will then be bombarded every time I pass Effy with ads on my phone while on ships.  More garbage coming at me when I really just want to ESCAPE COMPLETELY!!    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pink845 said:

Going to be on the Sky Dec 7, 2019 and then again on the Royal in January 2020.  Check in is asking me to download the Medallion Class Act which I did do to my phone.  However, it asks for a Security Photo (ok that is fine) and it also wants a Profile Photo.  What is the difference.  Seems to refer to picture in the profile will show on monitors as you approach any screen.    I really do hate receiving the incessant marketing time and time again in my cabin.  I really do not like the whole idea of the Medallion as I am sure that if I walk into the Effy store, I will then be bombarded every time I pass Effy with ads on my phone while on ships.  More garbage coming at me when I really just want to ESCAPE COMPLETELY!!    

No....no more stuff than a regular cruise card will get you.

Pretty painless process.

It is futile to resist.  😉

I am currently on the Coral and no Medallion, just the card and I miss the “extras” that the Medallion offers.  I feel I have taken a step backward.   (I am 65yo) and love the technology.  My public photo is a photo of some art work, and I have the turtle avatar that pops up when I pass the big boards.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pink845 said:

Deep breath! You got lots of advertising before the medallion. No reason to think that is going to change because of the medallion. There are stories of people getting bombed with ads on their phone after passing by the art gallery, however those are second hand tales and have been refuted in first hand accounts.

The profile photo is the one that appears on your cabin door screen and may pop up on the public screens when you approach them. We use pictures of our cat and dog. 

• Like 1