NCL Gem Passport vs Birth cert.?

latebloomer56

Help heard my sons will need pass ports next June on the Gem Boston to Bermuda? We went last April with just birth certificates and ID's husband and I have pass ports because we travel twice a year (if lucky).

Anybody know about this and yes we know everybody should have a pass port. I can't get them to spend the money on these as they don't do a lot of travel outside of New England.

Thanks as always for any information.

According to the U.S. Department of State, it is recommended that any person taking a cruise from the United States travels with a passport. This recommendation covers travelers in case of an emergency — for example, an emergency medical evacuation — or if the ship needs to stop at a foreign passport-required dock.

Sometimes, you have to go beyond "what is required" for your own best interests.  Case in point:  Travel Insurance...  not required, but pretty foolish if you don't get it.  Same might be said for passports...  not required (yet) but I wouldn't want to be stranded without one. The hundred bucks or so it costs to get one is nothing compared to what could possibly happen if you need it.  It's a wise investment... and good for 10 years.

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Help heard my sons will need pass ports next June on the Gem Boston to Bermuda? We went last April with just birth certificates and ID's husband and I have pass ports because we travel twice a year (if lucky).

Anybody know about this and yes we know everybody should have a pass port. I can't get them to spend the money on these as they don't do a lot of travel outside of New England.

Thanks as always for any information.

To answer your question, they do not NEED passports.  We went to Bermuda last summer and part of our party only had BC / DL.

People, the OP agrees that a passport should be obtained, but that's not his question.

Edited by buckeyefrank
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

They do not NEED passports.  We went to Bermuda last summer and part of our party only had BC / DL.  There's nothing wrong with not having a passport.

According to the US State Department: " All persons traveling between the United States and Bermuda are required to present a passport to enter Bermuda or re-enter the United States. " 

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

According to the US State Department: " All persons traveling between the United States and Bermuda are required to present a passport to enter Bermuda or re-enter the United States. " 

I'm sure that's for flights.  We were there less than 12 months ago and did not need passports.  That statement is most likely for flights into Bermuda and would be correct.  Closed loop cruises are different.

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

That’s flying, not cruising.

2 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

I'm sure that's for flights.  We were there less than 12 months ago and did not need passports.  That statement is most likely for flights into Bermuda and would be correct.  Closed loop cruises are different.

Or the requirements have changed.  Or you lucked out because the cruise ship let you on without a passport.  I just had to get a visa for an upcoming cruise to New Zealand - the new requirement was effective in August, long after I booked the cruise.

And what if the person has to leave the ship in Bermuda.  Things happen.  My recommendation to the OP is to make sure they all have passports.

29 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Or the requirements have changed.  Or you lucked out because the cruise ship let you on without a passport.  I just had to get a visa for an upcoming cruise to New Zealand - the new requirement was effective in August, long after I booked the cruise.

And what if the person has to leave the ship in Bermuda.  Things happen.  My recommendation to the OP is to make sure they all have passports.

The OP didn't ask if it was advisable...   They know what's advisable.  The OP asked if it was "NEEDED".  

Direct from NCL website as of 25 seconds ago:

For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID

(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

OR

WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative)-compliant documents (click here to for more information.)

*A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

A passport is NOT required.  Recommended yes, required NO

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Or the requirements have changed. 

No, they haven't. Unfortunately, the State Department website is not a reliable source of information for documentation requirements for cruises, which can be different  than the requirements for air travel.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

Where did you hear this?

We've had people we travel with use birth certificates several times, on closed loop cruises, with no issues.  But I don't know if there are new requirements.

Co-worker was told by travel agent he needed one to go to Bermuda in July.

16 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

The OP didn't ask if it was advisable...   They know what's advisable.  The OP asked if it was "NEEDED".  

Direct from NCL website as of 25 seconds ago:

For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID

(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

OR

WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative)-compliant documents (click here to for more information.)

*A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

A passport is NOT required.  Recommended yes, required NO

This is what I read as well thank goodness they will be fine next June. I will be sure they get them before our 2022 vacation but one at a time, for 3 of them it is just about 700.00 that we can go to the mountains with :).

Thanks

On 11/11/2019 at 2:32 PM, cliffd64 said:

Sometimes, you have to go beyond "what is required" for your own best interests.  Case in point:  Travel Insurance...  not required, but pretty foolish if you don't get it.  Same might be said for passports...  not required (yet) but I wouldn't want to be stranded without one. The hundred bucks or so it costs to get one is nothing compared to what could possibly happen if you need it.  It's a wise investment... and good for 10 years.

When we started cruising it would have cost $850 or so for passports for everyone, for a 4 day cruise and many of those passports would have been good for only 5 years. We looked at that and after doing the research we decided to wait to get the passports until the day came when we actually needed them for the travel we were doing, which happened 6 years after we started cruising. My son got a passport just before he went off to college "just in case". He has never used it and now that he is a young father with a boatload of student loan debt and is unlikely to use it before it expired. "Good investment" is a very relative term.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

When we started cruising it would have cost $850 or so for passports for everyone, for a 4 day cruise and many of those passports would have been good for only 5 years. We looked at that and after doing the research we decided to wait to get the passports until the day came when we actually needed them for the travel we were doing, which happened 6 years after we started cruising. My son got a passport just before he went off to college "just in case". He has never used it and now that he is a young father with a boatload of student loan debt and is unlikely to use it before it expired. "Good investment" is a very relative term.

There are several benefits of having a passport besides travel...  Today, even to start a new job you need several forms of identification to fill out the Federal ID9 form to be hired.  One of the simplest forms of ID that is accepted universally, is a passport.   Having one is beneficial in that case.   Some people change jobs like socks...  I've filled out three ID9 forms in 6 years.

Another reason to have one is DOMESTIC AIR TRAVEL.  Coming very soon, even to travel within the UNITED STATES, you will either need to use a passport or a REAL-ID issued by a participating state. Even to qualify for a real id  in most states the process is made easier if you have a passport. Come fall 2020, every U.S. air traveler will be required to present a Real ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification such as a U.S. passport, to board a domestic flight. The change, the last phase of implementation of the federal law known as the Real ID Act, goes into effect Oct. 1, 2020.  This is fact. So, either you pay for REAL-ID compliant licenses or you get a passport which lasts longer and is universally accepted.

If you travel out of the country, whether on a cruise or in a car or by air, and you are an adult, the $145 total cost of a passport for 10 years is a wise thing to have and a good investment to protect yourself in case of unforeseen emergencies like a medical emergency or being stranded at a port.  Not having a passport in those situations can end up costing you thousands upon thousands of dollars.  Maybe you are willing to risk that, but for us, $145 per person now for a passport is a minor expense to avoid having to worry about unforeseen problems.  It comes to $14.50 per year.  If it is cost prohibitive to get passports, then maybe that should be part of a budget plan when you plan travel, at least every 10 years or so.

So yes, it's a good investment.  

7 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

There are several benefits of having a passport besides travel...  Today, even to start a new job you need several forms of identification to fill out the Federal ID9 form to be hired.  One of the simplest forms of ID that is accepted universally, is a passport.   Having one is beneficial in that case.   Some people change jobs like socks...  I've filled out three ID9 forms in 6 years.

Another reason to have one is DOMESTIC AIR TRAVEL.  Coming very soon, even to travel within the UNITED STATES, you will either need to use a passport or a REAL-ID issued by a participating state. Even to qualify for a real id  in most states the process is made easier if you have a passport. Come fall 2020, every U.S. air traveler will be required to present a Real ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification such as a U.S. passport, to board a domestic flight. The change, the last phase of implementation of the federal law known as the Real ID Act, goes into effect Oct. 1, 2020.  This is fact. So, either you pay for REAL-ID compliant licenses or you get a passport which lasts longer and is universally accepted.

If you travel out of the country, whether on a cruise or in a car or by air, and you are an adult, the $145 total cost of a passport for 10 years is a wise thing to have and a good investment to protect yourself in case of unforeseen emergencies like a medical emergency or being stranded at a port.  Not having a passport in those situations can end up costing you thousands upon thousands of dollars.  Maybe you are willing to risk that, but for us, $145 per person now for a passport is a minor expense to avoid having to worry about unforeseen problems.  It comes to $14.50 per year.  If it is cost prohibitive to get passports, then maybe that should be part of a budget plan when you plan travel, at least every 10 years or so.

So yes, it's a good investment.  

Yes, there are other uses for a passport but the main purpose of a passport is international travel by air and for all of those other purposes you mention there are less expensive alternatives. For many people those alternatives are already at hand. I've had the same job now for almost 40 years so filling out an I-9 is low on my priority list and even if it was a priority I have other documentation that would suffice for that form. Domestic air travel the vast majority of states are REAL ID compliant and if someone happened to live in a non-compliant state or have a non-compliant ID they could use a passport card instead of a passport which would be less expensive (presuming of course they don't already have a passport). I live 8 miles from the Canadian border and many of my neighbors frequently cross that border for business or pleasure and the vast majority of them use an Enhanced Drivers License (which my state issues) or a passport card. They would scoff at the need for a full passport book for this travel, which is the only time they leave the country. As for needing thousands of dollars by being stranded that is a better case for good travel insurance than it is for a passport and those expenses are going to be incurred whether you have a passport or not. Everyone has to decide what travel documentation works best for them based on their travel patterns and their risk tolerance. Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises every year with something other than a passport and have no issues whatsoever, so for most people this is a low risk proposition. If passports were required then I would agree that budgeting for them is a good thing, but if they aren't required then it's difficult to justify the cost if one doesn't travel enough to warrant it.

• Like 2

OK... using your example:  You drive into Canada using your non-passport: You have a medical issue and you need to be flown to the US...  not happening without passport even if you have trip insurance...  Same applies with a cruise.  Trip insurance is useless if you cannot enter the country by air.   We will have to agree to disagree.

10 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

OK... using your example:  You drive into Canada using your non-passport: You have a medical issue and you need to be flown to the US...  not happening without passport even if you have trip insurance...  Same applies with a cruise.  Trip insurance is useless if you cannot enter the country by air.   We will have to agree to disagree.

If I have a medical issue in Canada I would be treated there and wouldn't need to fly to the US at all (and an hour and a half ambulance ride is probably quicker then waiting for a flight). In any event, the regulations contain the authority necessary to waive the passport requirements for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons and I have read of several instances where this was done. Again, you are free to get a passport for whatever reason you want to and other people have the right to get one or not get one depending on their individual circumstances.

51 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

If I have a medical issue in Canada I would be treated there and wouldn't need to fly to the US at all (and an hour and a half ambulance ride is probably quicker then waiting for a flight). In any event, the regulations contain the authority necessary to waive the passport requirements for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons and I have read of several instances where this was done. Again, you are free to get a passport for whatever reason you want to and other people have the right to get one or not get one depending on their individual circumstances.

The OP is asking about Bermuda, I’d assume they’d get medical care in Bermuda, and if they needed to get back to the US, they’d get clearance. It’s not like there are US citizens living out their lives in foreign countries because they cruised without a passport.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

The OP is asking about Bermuda, I’d assume they’d get medical care in Bermuda, and if they needed to get back to the US, they’d get clearance. It’s not like there are US citizens living out their lives in foreign countries because they cruised without a passport.

Right. There is a State Department presence on the island also which makes it even easier.