A well shaken Martini?

zamgwar

Greetings all,

i am am heading out of NYC on a New Years sail on Bliss. Woo hoo. The bow of the last NCL ship we were on is currently at the Louvre (SS Norway) so it's been sometime since we've cruised on NCL, lol.

I have an IMPORTANT question that is way too specific to find in FAQ.  I enjoy a nice cold martini (one martini is not enough, two's too many, there's not enough). I have the beverage package. Will my martinis be included if I'm drinking either Bombay or Grey Goose, both of which liquors are in the package?

i was worried because I saw another poster write a martini was 25 dollars. That would seem correct  if I was sitting in the Algonquin room in Manhattan, rather than the Manhattan Diningroom on the Bliss.

Is is there some kindred cocktail companion out there who can calm my concerns? I will sleep better knowing there is a man with a shaker who will be shaking mine for free.

Thanks,

john

office of Bombay Sapphire Gin

the zamgwar institute 

44 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

Fear not intrepid cocktail fan, your Goose is not cooked, it is in fact included in your beverage package along with your Bombay.

So shake it up !!

635FC596-C69A-4DBB-8209-853754CE2AE8.jpeg

Thanks you stefmania. I may now relax.

john

office of calmed concerns

the zamgwar institute 

Thanks to all. My liver salutes you and simultaneously Shakes it's fist at you, lol. I will have no problems. My martinis are classic. She who must be obeyed" will be happy to pay an up charge  for her espresso martini, and if my friend sully has to pay a charge for his appletinis, that's what he gets for drinking appletinis.

I will be back later with a "what types of Chardonnay" question from "She who must be obeyed"

john

office of shaken not stirred

the zamgwar institute .

Oh Boy zamgwar- the key is finding the bartender who adds the right amount of ice and shakes, long and vigorously— then into the chilled glass. My husband loves his martinis but is very “high maintenance” about the temperature. Not sure if it was the bliss or breakaway that had an awesome martini bar. You should be in good hands and it should be a quick quest to find that special bartender. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, travelgals said:

Oh Boy zamgwar- the key is finding the bartender who adds the right amount of ice and shakes, long and vigorously— then into the chilled glass. My husband loves his martinis but is very “high maintenance” about the temperature. Not sure if it was the bliss or breakaway that had an awesome martini bar. You should be in good hands and it should be a quick quest to find that special bartender. 

LOL- your husband and I must have separated at birth. I am *extremely* high maintenance about temperature. If it's not ice cold, you might as well just leave in the bottle, put the bottle in a brown bag, and let me go drink it in the corner, LOL. My normal  instruction on ordering is "shake the sh*t out of it". Send my best to your husband. I'm sure we would be drink mates.

2 minutes ago, zamgwar said:

LOL- your husband and I must have separated at birth. I am *extremely* high maintenance about temperature. If it's not ice cold, you might as well just leave in the bottle, put the bottle in a brown bag, and let me go drink it in the corner, LOL. My normal  instruction on ordering is "shake the sh*t out of it". Send my best to your husband. I'm sure we would be drink mates.

Your alias wouldn't be Mrs. BOND - Mrs. James BOND now would it ?

Or something with Elvis - "A whole lot of shaken going on" !

If you haven't had enough history of the Martini - go to one of the Martini tasting events for an education !

A Doctorate of the Martini !

I'm a bit of a martini snob ... starting with ....there is only one martini and it does not contain vodka.   With that out of the way my favorite...Bombay Sapphire, a splash of fresh Noilly Pratt dry vermouth, shaken, poured into a chilled glass and finished with 2 anchovy stuffed olives (never touch the olives until the drink is done).   Yeah - I have Martini issues.    

Excellent question.. glad to see drink package includes - Cheers 

Edited by sr71_1
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, travelgals said:

The Breakaway has the Shakers Martini Bar. The other “away” ships have the Sugarcane Mojito Bar instead.

Ok

2 hours ago, sr71_1 said:

I'm a bit of a martini snob ... starting with ....there is only one martini and it does not contain vodka.   With that out of the way my favorite...Bombay Sapphire, a splash of fresh Noilly Pratt dry vermouth, shaken, poured into a chilled glass and finished with 2 anchovy stuffed olives (never touch the olives until the drink is done).   Yeah - I have Martini issues.    

Excellent question.. glad to see drink package includes - Cheers 

I like my olives with blue cheese. I'm also very surprised, as well as delighted to see Hendricks gin as well as Bombay sapphire on the list

John

Office of the perfect martini

The zamgwar institute 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zamgwar said:

I tell them to shake it till they think it's cold, then shake it some more.  You know, a martini is the easiest drink in the world to make.  Likewise, it's the easiest drink in the world to screw up!  I like mine with either Belvedere, Chopin, or Ketel One vodka.  Very very dry and very very cold.  I take mine with olives, my "She who must be obeyed" takes hers with an orange slice.  I agree, one's not enough!  But if II have two I run the risk of getting stupid!  Three, and I'm down right ridiculous!  It may take some searching on your part before you find the best martini bar on the ship, but when you do.....well, let me just say, you will taste the nectar of the gods!

Enjoy,

Elvis

• Like 1

Hi John,

My wife and I could be characterized as martini snobs as well. I don’t know when anything served in a conical glass became a martini. As far as I’m concerned a martini is gin and a dash of dry vermouth served up or on the rocks. We like olives but lately NCL has been stuffing them with pickles. Can’t have pickles in a martini! We will be newly minted platinum plus cruisers on the Jan 5 Bliss trip from NYC. Bombay Saphire is our favorite gin and we have never had a problem ordering while on the beverage package. The only negative, in fact, is sticking to our personal rule of not having more than 1 each (well maybe 1 1/2; but never 2). We usually try to find a bar on the ship that isn’t super busy and then go to the same one each night so the bartenders get to know us. It usually only takes a couple of nights. There is nothing more heartwarming than to walk in to “our bar” and see the bartender look up and immediately start icing up 2 glasses without having to say a word. 
Best,

Jay

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Christophene said:

Hi John,

My wife and I could be characterized as martini snobs as well. I don’t know when anything served in a conical glass became a martini. As far as I’m concerned a martini is gin and a dash of dry vermouth served up or on the rocks. We like olives but lately NCL has been stuffing them with pickles. Can’t have pickles in a martini! We will be newly minted platinum plus cruisers on the Jan 5 Bliss trip from NYC. Bombay Saphire is our favorite gin and we have never had a problem ordering while on the beverage package. The only negative, in fact, is sticking to our personal rule of not having more than 1 each (well maybe 1 1/2; but never 2). We usually try to find a bar on the ship that isn’t super busy and then go to the same one each night so the bartenders get to know us. It usually only takes a couple of nights. There is nothing more heartwarming than to walk in to “our bar” and see the bartender look up and immediately start icing up 2 glasses without having to say a word. 
Best,

Jay

One martini is not enough. Two's too many. Three's not enough.

John

Office of ice cold cocktails

The zamgwar institute

I just want to go on record as saying that the only true martini is either a gin or vodka martini.  Jay has stated that the only martini is a gin martini.  Well, James Bond drinks vodka martinis.  Do you want to tell him that his drink is not a martini?  I didn't think so!  Those other drinks that call themselves martinis (Chocolate martinis and the like) are abominations, not worthy of the name "martini".  I'm not saying they shouldn't exist, but they should not be called martinis!

Elvis

You may be able to tell I've had two martinis tonight!

1 hour ago, Elvis1209 said:

I just want to go on record as saying that the only true martini is either a gin or vodka martini.  Jay has stated that the only martini is a gin martini.  Well, James Bond drinks vodka martinis.  Do you want to tell him that his drink is not a martini?  I didn't think so!  Those other drinks that call themselves martinis (Chocolate martinis and the like) are abominations, not worthy of the name "martini".  I'm not saying they shouldn't exist, but they should not be called martinis!

Elvis

You may be able to tell I've had two martinis tonight!

Obvious shaken cause you are stirring up trouble !   LOL !