Notes from another very short cruise on QM2

Host Hattie

40 minutes ago, lissie said:

Thank you so much for that picture of the dancing - I keep on being told that men have to wear jackets at all times - including dancing -  but obviously its not true! Several wearing waistcoats - which make much more sense than a non-dance jacket for dancing! 

On all the times we have sailed the QM2, many men wear jackets while dancing.

While many do remove their jackets to feel more comfortable and at ease to dance. We've have seen many couples continue to dance from one number to the next while on the floor. 

Granted it is not common to see men walking the hallways without jackets.

The Queens Room can get warm when very filled especially on a theme nights.

Enjoy your cruise, Bon Voyage!

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On all the times we have sailed the QM2, many men wear jackets while dancing.

While many do remove their jackets to feel more comfortable and at ease to dance. We've have seen many couples continue to dance from one number to the next while on the floor. 

Granted it is not common to see men walking the hallways without jackets.

The Queens Room can get warm when very filled especially on a theme nights.

Enjoy your cruise, Bon Voyage!

Its not the temperature  as such. Its if you are doing ballroom properly ie  elbows and arms are in the right place - a normally cut suit jacket will bunch up around the  shoulders and look like  he's a hunch back.  A properly cut jacket for ballroom looks perfect when the man is in ballroom hold- but wrinkles across the shoulders if he has his arms down. My partner has a tails for dancing - but socially would normally dance in either a shirt or a waistcoat - in the UK we saw men dancing using a long dark caridgan over a shirt.  

He needs to buy either a dark suit or a tux - so I'm now leaning towards a 3 piece dark suit so he'll have a waistcoat for dancing.  Tuxs don't work well for dancing if the wearer is maybe not very slim because the cumberband slips 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OWe both slept well and got up in time for breakfast in the Queens Grill, it finished at 9.30. As we were collecting coats etc for our day out, I half heard an announcement, when we got to the lifts we realised they were all unavailable. Fortunately we only had to walk down 6 flights, I felt sorry for the woman we met on the way up muttering about forgetting her passport ! We got the shuttle to the terminal building and met a friend who lives in Belgium for a day out round Ieper ( Ypres).

We got back on the ship before 4 & had a scone from the Concierge Lounge (just opposite our cabin). We watched the end then the beginning of the film "Yesterday".

• Like 2

We packed most of our things and went for a pre-dinner drink. The Chart Room was busy, we got seats at the bar. We just had one drink and then headed in for dinner. Nothing on the ordinary menu appealed so we had starters from the a la carte again. We'd pre-ordered Lobster Thermidor at breakfast, it was very good, plenty of lobster meat although it could have been warmer. We both had the cheese board, not a very inspiring selection and no stilton when it was initially brought.
We finished dinner in plenty of time for the show so we went to the Carinthia Lounge to listen to some acoustic folk/country. It was lovely in there. We went to see The Flyrights, they were excellent, one of the best singing groups we've seen on a ship.
We tried the Golden Lion but it was packed (& the snippets of karaoke I heard didn't encourage lingering. We found a table in the Queens Room, our waiter warned us there would be a delay getting drinks as the bar was so busy !
We called it a night at about 12.30.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, lissie said:

Thank you so much for that picture of the dancing - I keep on being told that men have to wear jackets at all times - including dancing -  but obviously its not true! Several wearing waistcoats - which make much more sense than a non-dance jacket for dancing! 

Just to clarify (what Hattie has already posted)  On a smart attire evening  the Gentlemen 'Hosts' will  now be able to wear a  waistcoat. ( and a name badge visible)  This is a recent new move, considering they are 'dancing continuously' from early evening until late.   However, on the formal evening they will still have to endure a formal Jacket.

'Guys', On smart evening this is not an excuse for 'us guests' to adopt a waistcoat or shirt sleeves  on a Cunard dance floor. 😉  As a dancer my self there is a protocol on the dance dance floor,  Guys, compliment your ladies and keep your jackets on, after all  we are not dancing all the hours as those hosts .💃🕺  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

We had an early disembarkation time, by the time we had finished breakfast our group had gone so we went straight to the Grand Lobby. We called the Car park who told us to get a taxi from the terminal and they would pay. Our car was ready and waiting so we were on our way by 8.30. The A34 was closed so the journey home wasn't the best, it was the first of 3 traffic jams on the way home.

IMG_20191119_154411.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

We had an early disembarkation time, by the time we had finished breakfast our group had gone so we went straight to the Grand Lobby. We called the Car park who told us to get a taxi from the terminal and they would pay. Our car was ready and waiting so we were on our way by 8.30. The A34 was closed so the journey home wasn't the best, it was the first of 3 traffic jams on the way home.

IMG_20191119_154411.jpg

I  wonder what makes disembarkation times vary we got off QM2 on Sunday and were on deck 5 with a disembarkation time of 10am.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

'Guys', On smart evening this is not an excuse for 'us guests' to adopt a waistcoat or shirt sleeves  on a Cunard dance floor. 😉  As a dancer my self there is a protocol on the dance dance floor,  Guys, compliment your ladies and keep your jackets on, after all  we are not dancing all the hours as those hosts .💃🕺  

Have you ever tried to  be a follower with a man wearing an incorrectly cut jacket?  I'm guessing not - because its almost impossible in ballroom hold because your left had has a bunch of fabric which is in no way connected to his shoulder. For reference this is the hold I'm talking about http://www.ballroomguide.com/resources/blog/2016_02_26_frame_and_elbows.html  I'm pretty sure professional dance hosts would have dance jackets on when dancing (which don't wear or look well when arms are NOT in hold)  - we can dance a 12 hour competition with him wearing dance tails - but not 5 minutes doing a foxtrot in a  "street" jacket 

• Like 1

Good morning Lissie, Your point is taken re, an incorrectly cut jacket.  No, I have never been a follower , however I am a competition dancer my self, just competed at Blackpool ( ISTD faculty and the occasional  Pro Am ) 

I'm well aware of the correct attire on a dance floor when competing , probably like you and your partner I too spend thousands. of ££/$$ on dance wear, not to mention the correct shoes.

My  tongue in cheek post above re, keeping jackets on, was directed to those guys who enjoy a spot of 'social dancing'. Not everyone who visits the Queens Room are going to be familiar with dance hold technique. 😉 

• Like 1