ever forget a cruise ship you've sailed?

havanadaydreaming

Just saw my signature on another thread and was a bit surprised I haven't been on the Dream.  I was certain that was my 2nd or 3rd cruise.  WRONG!

I saw Liberty and Freedom (which I've mumbo jumbled together in my mind's eye) and probably wouldn't have been able to identify either of them individually, dangit.  I recall really enjoying them, however!!  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Just saw my signature on another thread and was a bit surprised I haven't been on the Dream.  I was certain that was my 2nd or 3rd cruise.  WRONG!

I saw Liberty and Freedom (which I've mumbo jumbled together in my mind's eye) and probably wouldn't have been able to identify either of them individually, dangit.  I recall really enjoying them, however!!  

Yes I've forgotten many, my wife remembers most of them, the first being the Jubilee

1 hour ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Yes I've forgotten many, my wife remembers most of them, the first being the Jubilee

Our first was the Jubilee as well, in 1992.  I remember all the names because we haven't been on all that many cruises.  Hopefully that will change once we're retired.

vcmds & Buck, the Jubilee was our second Carnival ship---after the Festivale in 1990. iamsteph, unfortunately Carnival only has records up to a certain date (1999?) before that they can normally tell if you were on a ship in a year, sometimes not. When I called about our 1990 cruise they asked me to email proof. Luckily I had a picture with the ship's name and the date. 

The only way I remember the ships is shirts I made and keep adding patches to. Each "iron on" patch shows the ship and date. We've been blessed enough that I had to discard these two (the patches were getting out of order and running out of space!) and I made new shirts using smaller patches. When we go on our side to side cruises in January we'll wear new shirts with 35 patches in the correct order as we attend the former cruisers party! Some day I hope THEY will be replaced with a wider shirt to keep up!!

IMG0352.jpg

Edited by chocolate melting cake
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about.  After looking at your signature, I see what you are saying.  You made your signature.  Log in to the Carnival site and click on your name at the top of the page.  On the pull down menu is My Cruises.  Click on that and it will show if and when you were on the Dream.  Then you can add it to your signature.

Just took my 30th on Carnival!  I maybe can't name them in exact chronological order, but I absolutely know what ships I've sailed even without looking at my signature (and my memory isn't what it used to be!).  Jubilee was also my first ship.  Next 3 ships will all be new-to-me.  Dream class is the only current class out there I haven't sailed yet and I'll be on Breeze but not for another 14 months or so.

Hi ☺️

My wife & I have been sailing since the 80's. With the hundreds/thousands of dollars invested into each cruise, along with countless hours of research time invested, we have never forgotten which ships & cruiselines we have had voyages on.

Having said that, we do however keep a record of (ports of call) how many times we visited each particular port.

Also, we keep a cruise journal for all of our sailings. Prior to going to sleep each evening we discuss the days events & log them into the journal. We have been doing this for well over three decades now and have many journals.

The strolls down memory lane are terrific!! In some ways more entertaining than the photo's or video we have collected over the years. Even picking out/purchasing the journal prior to each cruise has become a fun task in itself.

To us, it is another way, an interesting way, to save & relive each individual voyage...

🌴

• Like 2

I played the "Guess the Ship" game at the VIFP party on Sunshine and actually won (got 6 out of 10 correct).  The thing is, I have absolutely no idea which ones I got correct!  The pics are mostly of interior areas and they ALL looked familiar but can I really say which interior promenade is which? Especially on Fantasy-class ships when they layouts are nearly identical and there are 8 of them! 😄

I just check my signature here on Cruise Critic. 😉

It always amuses me when I’m talking to a “cruise-rookie” friend who is either going on a cruise or just came back from a cruise, and they can’t tell me the name of the ship. When I ask, the answer is something like: “I’m not sure, well, it’s going to the Caribbean, is Mexico in the Caribbean? and we are driving down to Florida, I think out of Miami? No, Port Canaveral? but I don’t know, yes I think it’s on Carnival, or maybe it’s Royal? I don’t know...”

How can someone NOT know what cruise they’ve booked? 😂

Edited by Tapi

30 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I played the "Guess the Ship" game at the VIFP party on Sunshine and actually won (got 6 out of 10 correct).  The thing is, I have absolutely no idea which ones I got correct!  

I think they pick the winner at random or make things up. I went to the VIFP party with my 7 year old daughter. I filled out the answer sheet and she copied the answers to another sheet. So we both submitted the same exact answers.

Who gets called as the winner? She does! No mention of a tie, or multiple winners, or how many she (I) got right. 😂 Even though she cheated, she was so proud of herself picking up that plaque and posing for pictures on stage. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:
17 hours ago, Tapi said:

It always amuses me when I’m talking to a “cruise-rookie” friend who is either going on a cruise or just came back from a cruise, and they can’t tell me the name of the ship. When I ask, the answer is something like: “I’m not sure, well, it’s going to the Caribbean, is Mexico in the Caribbean? and we are driving down to Florida, I think out of Miami? No, Port Canaveral? but I don’t know, yes I think it’s on Carnival, or maybe it’s Royal? I don’t know...”

Doesn't have to be a rookie.  My sister never knows what ship she is going on.  Her TA books it and they go.  I obviously got all the planning genes in the family

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tapi said:

We have been on twelve cruises.  I do all of the bookings.  Every time someone asks my wife  where our next cruise is going to go or what ship, she looks at me with that blank stare.  I finally put the cruise itinerary on a Post It note on the computer.  

A couple that we know also cruises.  Whenever I ask her about her cruise, she too is clueless.  Not only doesn't know which ship but doesn't even know which cruise line.  She says the same thing.  Her husband does the booking and she just goes along and enjoys it.

• Like 1

Guess this is why my sailings to Bermuda have had people who just were amazed that the island seemed so prosperous and clean and not like some of the other islands!  They apparently have no idea that Bermuda isn't in the Caribbean and that it's a very wealthy island.  Only the Cayman Islands might compare - both are tax havens!

We had a medical emergency and had to return to Bermuda when we were 6 hours out (but still 1-1/2 days from Charleston).  People were asking why they couldn't just send a chopper "from one of the other islands" to evacuate the passenger. 🤯

I still, after 40 sailings, cruise mostly for the ports.  The ship is definitely not the destination for me.  Given the option to sail an itinerary I've already done, I'll opt for the ship if the prices are comparable.