RC gift cards question

EDiamond22

So my company does recognition through a 3rd party site, you can get points then redeem them for basically anything. None of the items are really of good value when using the points so i typically just go with a gift card. i just noticed they have a Royal Caribbean gift card on there, just curious if anyone's had one or knows if it can only be used for bookings or can i bring it on one of my sailings and apply it to my bill at the end of the cruise?
Any info helps, thanks! 

It depends on the terms stipulated by the retailer/reseller.

When purchased directly from RC, there are no restrictions on how the gift card/certificate may be used.

When purchased through retailers/resellers, there may restrictions (like not being able to be used for the deposit or only being applicable to the deposit).

This disparity alone would make me wary without reading the associated terms and conditions before purchase.

7 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

When purchased directly from RC, there are no restrictions on how the gift card/certificate may be used.

From what I have read they still have the restrictions that Bob mentioned.  Maybe not as many but there are still restrictions.  The biggest one is that they cannot be used on board. 

I was given two royal gift cards this year as a birthday gift. It clearly said it can be used on board but must be redeemed online at least two weeks before sailing. After reading everyone’s negative experiences with them, I wanted to be sure they were on my account. Eventually my travel agent was able to send me a confirmation email showing the obc for each of the gift certificates. Hopefully that will make it smooth on the cruise but we’ll see. I sail 12/9. 

Is it through Workhuman? I just redeemed some work points for a gift card. I had asked RC if I could add it to my account and use it as on board credit prior to purchasing the gc. They said yes. I bought the card and then I was told that I could only use it towards the balance of the cruise reservation. If you have not made the final payment, you should be able to do that. I had already paid for my cruise in full unfortunately. I was pretty upset. They ended up refunding the value of the GC to the credit card on file that I used to pay for the cruise. It all worked out ultimately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJIM said:

Is it through Workhuman? I just redeemed some work points for a gift card. I had asked RC if I could add it to my account and use it as on board credit prior to purchasing the gc. They said yes. I bought the card and then I was told that I could only use it towards the balance of the cruise reservation. If you have not made the final payment, you should be able to do that. I had already paid for my cruise in full unfortunately. I was pretty upset. They ended up refunding the value of the GC to the credit card on file that I used to pay for the cruise. It all worked out ultimately.

global force my company uses, and yes i'm paid in full and sail in 40 days, i was hoping to have it as OBC or just put it towards the bill at the end because i know ill book at least one excursion on this ship. does sound like that did work out pretty good for you though! no guarantee it would work the same for me so i will just pick something else ! 
good info though thank you  

• Like 1

Oh. Same company. I think they recently changed names. This just happened to me. I left it until the last minute and am sailing Saturday. LOL. I’m pretty sure that you can do the same. You have to email to redeem the GC anyways. In my email to redeem, I mentioned that I was assured by customer service  I can put it towards on board credit. They will respond that they can’t but can put it on your credit card. I didn’t even have to ask twice. They offered. Good luck if you try this!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJIM said:

Oh. Same company. I think they recently changed names. This just happened to me. I left it until the last minute and am sailing Saturday. LOL. I’m pretty sure that you can do the same. You have to email to redeem the GC anyways. In my email to redeem, I mentioned that I was assured by customer service  I can put it towards on board credit. They will respond that they can’t but can put it on your credit card. I didn’t even have to ask twice. They offered. Good luck if you try this!

hmm maybe i will give it a try, i mean lets be honest worse case scenario i have too put it towards my next cruise.. darn a reason too book another, what a shame 😄