Dec. 4 Buenos Aires to Santiago

Phillygirl3

Beginning to look at what clothing should be taken on this itinerary.  My husband has a weather chart and declared that there will be 8 days of warm weather and about 7 days of Fall weather.  So, layers I guess are the way to go but it makes it difficult to pack anticipating all of the Summer/Fall clothes one will need, especially clothing to deal with excursions off the ship.  Of course then there are shoes!!!!!  What I'm wondering is if anyone has heard about the status of the Jupiter pool as I read in an earlier post that it would be closed. I guess I will end up overpacking as usual but maybe some of my fellow cruisers could give me some tips relating to this itinerary.  Thanking you in advance for any advice.

3 hours ago, Phillygirl3 said:

Beginning to look at what clothing should be taken on this itinerary.  My husband has a weather chart and declared that there will be 8 days of warm weather and about 7 days of Fall weather.  So, layers I guess are the way to go but it makes it difficult to pack anticipating all of the Summer/Fall clothes one will need, especially clothing to deal with excursions off the ship.  Of course then there are shoes!!!!!  What I'm wondering is if anyone has heard about the status of the Jupiter pool as I read in an earlier post that it would be closed. I guess I will end up overpacking as usual but maybe some of my fellow cruisers could give me some tips relating to this itinerary.  Thanking you in advance for any advice.

We did this segment on our 2019 WC in late Jan. early Feb. which was high summer.  We just loved this segment! For your trip trip you will be there the equivalent of late Spring, early summer.  It will be hot and humid in BA, but then cool and even cold in the Falklands, Ushuaia, and going through the Chilean fjords, although some nice warming days in port on the west coast of Chile.  Warmer again in Santiago.  I wore Capri pants and nice tees in the cities, jeans, sweaters, long Tees and fleece jackets as we got closer to Antarctica. I wore a full on down jacket many days down there.  Also gloves and winter type hat.  The best thing you can bring is a lightweight rain jacket, on the long side to cover your legs a bit.  I wore it over tee shirts and the parka both.  When going through the fjords, everyone is out on deck taking pictures, in our case in the rain, and it was perfect.  I didn’t bring a regular long raincoat, just the mid-thigh jacket that rolled up and packed beautifully.  ( I got one made by Juelles of England in San Francisco.  They come in lots of fun colors and patterns).  Excursions are casual; layer, and bring both a summer and winter hat.  I thought about bringing boots, but didn’t.  I wore good walking shoes, walking sandals, and sneaker type shoes that dried quickly.  Had I to do it again, I would have brought my Canadian Blondo waterproof ankle boots!  You will need dressier clothes too, but hope this helps with the excursions in what could be 40-50 degree temp differences.  Of course, one never really knows what the weather will be...!

Dear SantaFe1:  Thank you for an incredibly detailed and helpful response to my message regarding packing, appropriately for this itinerary.  It certainly has given me a lot to think about, so I really need to think, more in depth, about what to pack than I usually do for Europe or Asia.  I'm sure that your thoughtful message will be invaluable to others doing this itinerary.  Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Phillygirl3 said:

Dear SantaFe1:  Thank you for an incredibly detailed and helpful response to my message regarding packing, appropriately for this itinerary.  It certainly has given me a lot to think about, so I really need to think, more in depth, about what to pack than I usually do for Europe or Asia.  I'm sure that your thoughtful message will be invaluable to others doing this itinerary.  Many thanks!

So glad this was helpful. It was fun to go through the picture s again to see what we were wearing.  You might also want to follow along on the Ultimate WC page as they are in these parts right now.  Approaching Ushuaia.  But also note the ports missed or shortened.  We had that happen too. 

Edited by SantaFe1

On the Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise Dec. 21 cruise. I’m also finding packing challenging with warm to cold weather variations. My strategy is layers for the cooler climates. Packing Gortex rain jacket with hood that I can layer with a long down vest that can compact nicely. Taking Cuddl Duds “long underwear” which again take up very little room in my suitcase. We are on a tour to the penguins and understand it can be messy with mud and penguin poop. Bought on line rubber type goulashes that will fit over my shoes. Hope they work as promised. Along with some gloves, a scarf, and hat, I should be warm enough without taking up too much room in my suitcase for the colder weather. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deec said:

I am following closely because a SA trip is on our radar.  Trying to convince my husband I don't want to go to Antarctica this will be rugged enough!

deec, we did SA in 2009. In the process of researching and talking about it here, I came across an article in Forbes about cruising to Antarctica. The description of sailing Drake's Passage stands out in my mind. Maybe it will help convince him--if he only reads that part of article.  https://www.forbes.com/forbes-life-magazine/2008/1027/085.html

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 9:52 PM, SrCruizer said:

On the Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise Dec. 21 cruise. I’m also finding packing challenging with warm to cold weather variations. My strategy is layers for the cooler climates. Packing Gortex rain jacket with hood that I can layer with a long down vest that can compact nicely. Taking Cuddl Duds “long underwear” which again take up very little room in my suitcase. We are on a tour to the penguins and understand it can be messy with mud and penguin poop. Bought on line rubber type goulashes that will fit over my shoes. Hope they work as promised. Along with some gloves, a scarf, and hat, I should be warm enough without taking up too much room in my suitcase for the colder weather. 

I am also on the Dec 21 cruise and in a quandary about packing. Where did you get those galoshes? Thanks

MITZZI2 - On the road right now for Thanksgiving but will look into which galoshes I ordered for me & my husband when home. I do remember getting them online through Amazon & they fold up into a small Included packet. They fit nicely over my New Balance walking shoes & appeared substantial enough.

3 hours ago, SrCruizer said:

MITZZI2 - On the road right now for Thanksgiving but will look into which galoshes I ordered for me & my husband when home. I do remember getting them online through Amazon & they fold up into a small Included packet. They fit nicely over my New Balance walking shoes & appeared substantial enough.

And if they are inexpensive enough, you can throw them out after the last penguin stop, rather than packing the dirty boots home. 

Viking Jupiter is dressed tastefully and elegantly for Christmas, waiting to welcome you aboard - and I'm sure there will be added flourishes here and there later.

Right now we are contending with huge swells and high winds - the stabilizers are working overtime, and doing a great job.  We are pitching like the mechanical bull in URBAN COWBOY - okay, I'm exaggerating to make a point - but so far haven't suffered the inevitable consequences of excessive rolling.  Hoping that situation maintains for another three or four hours, until I climb into bed...and then into Montevideo in the morning.  But it has been a glorious day, much cooler and windy, but truly beautiful.  The Weather Gods have truly blessed us for this entire cruise.  Hope yours is as wondrous.

Just now, Hunding said:

Viking Jupiter is dressed tastefully and elegantly for Christmas, waiting to welcome you aboard - and I'm sure there will be added flourishes here and there later.

Right now we are contending with huge swells and high winds - the stabilizers are working overtime, and doing a great job.  We are pitching like the mechanical bull in URBAN COWBOY - okay, I'm exaggerating to make a point - but so far haven't suffered the inevitable consequences of excessive rolling.  Hoping that situation maintains for another three or four hours, until I climb into bed...and then into Montevideo in the morning.  But it has been a glorious day, much cooler and windy, but truly beautiful.  The Weather Gods have truly blessed us for this entire cruise.  Hope yours is as wondrous.

Those of you who are old enough out there would equate this to a E ticket ride at Disney.

For you younger folks, think Universal roller coaster rides.

Odd that the crossing was fine, but cruising along the coast is rocky.

We kind of enjoy the pitching during the day, but at night prefer gentle rolling to rock us to sleep. Don’t think that will happen tonight.

Sea Bands are doing their job!

21 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Those of you who are old enough out there would equate this to a E ticket ride at Disney.

For you younger folks, think Universal roller coaster rides.

Odd that the crossing was fine, but cruising along the coast is rocky.

We kind of enjoy the pitching during the day, but at night prefer gentle rolling to rock us to sleep. Don’t think that will happen tonight.

Sea Bands are doing their job!

Take care of the Jupiter for us!  We board in Valparaiso.  

Ahh - talking about the Disney E-Ticket brings back childhood memories for sure!  Saying something was an E-Ticket ride was universally understood in those days!

Keep safe.