leaving tomorrow For our Panama /Cost Rica trip

Spanky My

My advice is to have fun! Oh, and take notes for those of us in line behind you!

I am wondering if running shoes are adequate for the hiking in the Manuel Antonio Park or if I need my hiking boots. Rather not pack heavy stuff I'll only wear once, but if it's needed...

46 minutes ago, O2B@Cagain said:

My advice is to have fun! Oh, and take notes for those of us in line behind you!

I am wondering if running shoes are adequate for the hiking in the Manuel Antonio Park or if I need my hiking boots. Rather not pack heavy stuff I'll only wear once, but if it's needed...

You don't need hiking boots, but depending on how much of a hike you plan and the design of your running shoes, they may or may not be adequate.  Here's a link to my blog for that day, to give you a better idea:

https://jazzbeauxcostaricacruise2018.wordpress.com/2018/02/14/sunday-january-21-2018-quepos/

I enjoyed that blog post, but if you take the ship’s excursion, MAP is likely to be mostly boardwalks. The guide’s spotting scope or personal binoculars were essential for most wildlife sightings. Because of monkeys, you can’t bring much food in your pack to MAP. Sealed snack bars in pouches were allowed. The ship excursion was willing to drop you at the downtown corniche on the way back to the ship. The ship developed an annoying roll at anchor in the afternoon, which the captain said was common there. Moving the anchor doesn’t help.

My wife and I did this trip in Feb 2019. (Third Windstar adventure) Flew into San Jose stayed at the Hyatt for two nights. Trip to Irazu then to the Hot springs for an afternoon of drinking and eating great day. Trip to the dock interesting a lot on hills and mountains. 

Ship was great crew great. went zip lining day one next day Kayaking for 6 hours into the forest. Great day. 

Then the Inland party. Met some nice people Yoga on the beach reading drink some beer. 

Then to the Panana Canal full day ( Go the watch the movie at night after dinner. Well worth it. Great story. ) 

Thats about it just Joy. PS get the drink package ITS your vacation. Relax enjoy.

Jazz and CruiseorLand: Thanks! We are doing the ship's excursion, so I guess my old Brooks will do. Will bring binocs.

sportsfather: LOL about the drink package. As many times as I look at the prices, I cannot make sense of it. $120 per day and I can't pick the wine by the bottle I want or have the whiskey I want. And what movie??

Sorry about jumping in here, Spanky. I hope my questions help you, too...

The Movie is held in the Theatre and is a National Geographic 2 hour doc about the making of the Panama canal. Starts with the French and all the problems they had with the mosquito. Then Stevens and Goethals all Black and White movies of the construction and workers. Great Movie. 

PS - Drink package on this forum is always a topic. Someone starts with a thread about the expense and pro's and con's.  So from a experienced Windstar customer I have and observation. People who have the drink package will be at the Bar before and after dinner talking about there adventures. So its about 20 people give and take having some laughs and discussing grandkids and stories about other trips. People tend to gather in groups with common interests. I still play golf with someone I met on our last cruise. It's a choose. I like it. 

Okay about the movie. I'm currently re-reading "A Path Between the Seas", so that sounds like a good re-review. I'm hoping there will be some lectures also, as seeing the canal is my main goal.

I know what you mean about the drink package and discussion here. We are always at the bar before and after dinner, too. We prefer to call certain brands and they are never on the list. Hope to see you all on future trips!