Genoa

jeanlyon

Called there on a cruise a few years ago Jean.  I thought it was a very pleasant small city.  We just wandered around the city centre.  There is a lovely Cathedral and numerous other churches.  Some grand architecture - especially the Bank buildings.  Naturally, we had to have some lunch there to sample the local speciality, Pesto Genovese!  Can't recall whether we walked from the ship's berth or whether there was a shuttle.  The cruise port is very close to the city centre.

• Like 1

Hols4

We caught a taxi from the cruise port which was quite run down when we were there on Aurora last May as there was no shuttle bus. We got the taxi to Piazze de Ferrari where there is a lovely square with fountains and a few cafes,we then walked down Vila Roma just off the square which has lots of high end shops and old buildings. 

I am glad we caught a taxi as the areas along some parts off the front looked very seedy.

The taxis charge €15 each way so it may be a good idea to share one.

Jean, I think we are on the same cruise.

For Genoa I wanted to visit the Cinque Terre, somewhere I've wanted to go for a while.

However you are way ahead of me. I only got on my P&O last Friday and apart from a quick look I haven't had time to investigate it properly yet. Christmas has well and truly taken over my life for now!🙂

I'm interested to read your replies though.

18 minutes ago, happy v said:

For Genoa I wanted to visit the Cinque Terre, somewhere I've wanted to go for a while.

However you are way ahead of me. I only got on my P&O last Friday and apart from a quick look I haven't had time to investigate it properly yet. Christmas has well and truly taken over my life for now!🙂

We love the Cinque Terre  happy v but have only ever done it (independently) from La Spezia.   Last time we got the train from La Spezia to Vernazza, ferry from there to Portovenere and local bus to back to La Spezia.   Over the years we've been to all the villages so if you can do it independently and want any info I'll help if I can.

Don't know how easy it is to do from Genoa as a DiY but could be worth investigating Jean.  If you haven't time to do all the villages (unlikely in one day) Vernazza is the biggest and most interesting imo.  

I've just spotted in next week's Radio Times, Gino D'Acampo is visiting the Cinque Terre as part of a series on ITV, 8.30 December 5th.  Would hopefully give you an idea of the area and if it's somewhere you'd like to go.  

Edited by kruzseeka

LIke Hols4 we got a taxi from the cruise port to Piazze de Ferrari as a starting point, beautiful architecture and fountain.  We then walked to San Lorenzo cathedral and the nearby Christopher Columbus house and after a wander we made our way back to the ship via the seafront.  It was a longish walk back, but very pleasant and doable if you're average fitness.  There's also a metro, but we didn't use it.

April 2018 we stayed for two days pre-cruise and loved it.  This time we visited one of the palaces in the city centre, Palazzo Reale.  I hope this doesn't sound morbid, but one of the lasting memories for us was the Staglieno Cemetary (local bus ride from outside the train station about 10 mins. walk from the port.  An amazing place with very elaborate monuments on almost every grave, we spent most of a morning there and still didn't see all of it.

Bocadasse is a local bus ride away, but I haven't been before.  Portofino is also a taxi tour away.  It's definately worth doing a bit of research on Genoa, some lovely places to see.  Have a great time.

Edited by rosebuds
sp

3 hours ago, happy v said:

I've just had a look and it's an hour+  train journey from Genoa to Cinque Terre, so perhaps it may be one of those best done via a ship's excursion though come to think of it, that's not much different than getting the train to Rome so I guess it's doable.  It will hinge on the frequency of the trains.  The stations in the Cinque Terre are all in the villages except for Corniglia which is on top of a hill so you get off at the station at the bottom of the hill and climb a lot of steps!   With time limitations, it's one I'd miss out.  

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

I've just had a look and it's an hour+  train journey from Genoa to Cinque Terre, so perhaps it may be one of those best done via a ship's excursion though come to think of it, that's not much different than getting the train to Rome so I guess it's doable.  It will hinge on the frequency of the trains.  The stations in the Cinque Terre are all in the villages except for Corniglia which is on top of a hill so you get off at the station at the bottom of the hill and climb a lot of steps!   With time limitations, it's one I'd miss out.  

I did realise it was quite a distance and was hoping P&O did an excursion. If not I wouldn't risk D.I.Y. Unless it's a late stay.

I'll try and remember to watch Gino.

3 hours ago, happy v said:

I did realise it was quite a distance and was hoping P&O did an excursion. If not I wouldn't risk D.I.Y. Unless it's a late stay.

I'll try and remember to watch Gino.

Think I would do a ship's trip too from Genoa - but if you've not been before, it's an area I'd definitely recommend.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 5:14 PM, kruzseeka said:

I've just spotted in next week's Radio Times, Gino D'Acampo is visiting the Cinque Terre as part of a series on ITV, 8.30 December 5th.  Would hopefully give you an idea of the area and if it's somewhere you'd like to go.  

I remembered to watch and definitely need to go one day.

It looks very easy to DIY  IF we are close enough to the rail line, which I don't think we are. Probably have to book another cruise to La Spezia.  Oh, the hardship!🙂

3 minutes ago, happy v said:

I remembered to watch and definitely need to go one day.

It looks very easy to DIY  IF we are close enough to the rail line, which I don't think we are. Probably have to book another cruise to La Spezia.  Oh, the hardship!🙂

We watched too - it certainly gave a good impression of the area and brought back some lovely memories for us.  A big factor in choosing the itinerary on Oriana earlier this year was the stop at La Spezia (with the intention of going to Cinque Terre) as it was some years since we'd last been.  It didn't disappoint - and we'd happily go back again.  I'm sure you'd enjoy it too. 

If you don't make it on your forthcoming trip, I'd definitely use it as an excuse to book another - any excuse eh??.😉  

But whatever you decide to do from Genoa, have a lovely time. ☺

• Like 1

I was in Genoa two times the past year and have been there previously.

If you want to stay in Genoa I would do the HOHO bus and it still runs from the port.

It will give you a more structured way of seeing the city.

As others have mentioned there are other places you can visit from the city but they do involve travel time.

Keith