Platinum discount on shore excursions question

bostongal965

I did a quick search, but couldn't find an answer (or else the boards didn't like my search terms - always a possibility). 

Anyway, I would like to book an excursion through NCL prior to sailing (we like to have as much paid for ahead of time as possible - just makes it easier to relax). This is the first time in awhile that I'm interested in booking through NCL as a Latitudes member, and I'm wondering how the shore excursion discount works - are the prices I see in MyNCL already discounted? If I book now will I get reimbursed on the ship w/OBC? Or do I either pay the higher cost to book now or wait until I'm on the ship for the lower price?

Not trying to get into a debate about prices, booking through the ship vs independent, or anything else not related to my questions 😏 - thanks in advance to anyone who can help! 😃

you should see the discounted price when you go to the check out page to purchase the discount. the discount is not always on the page with the description of the shore excursion. you can also call up NCL to purchase the excursion over the phone and they can verify the lattiude discount is taken off. 

If you book now,  you should see the discount applied once you put the excursions in your cart.You will be charged the 10% less upfront (vs. being reimbursed at a later date).   If you don't notice any difference in price between the (non-logged in price) and the logged in, in-cart price, then I think you'll have to call NCL to book, and they will charge you the reduced price.

FYI - if you have a shore excursion promo, that will not be applied until you actually go on the excursion.  So you would have $50 (or $100 if you have the double) credit for each port where you've booked the excursion.  There have been debates as to whether or not that rebate is in the form of refundable/non-refundable credit.  From my past invoices, it appears to be a "cash" credit, so can be used for DSC or refunded at the end of the cruise if not spent.

My personal preference is to never pay upfront for a number of reasons - for starters, I usually have on-board credits to spend, plus if I buy CruiseNext certificates, I will get more.  I don't use the spas and I don't drink, so my onboard expenses are fairly limited.  I understand the desire to pay in advance but I don't like to let someone else have my money in advance - I put it in the bank instead and pay when due.

If you don't have the promo, then you will have to pay when you book.

From my recent personal experience on the Jade: call the Shore Excursion desk, book the excursion,  & you will be quoted the Latitude discount price-be sure they know your level. I chose not to pay upfront as I did not want to deal with OBCs after the fact.  If you have the $50/port benefit, it will be subtracted on board after you take the excursion. Do make a note of the posted price when you book to be sure you get your Latitude discount when you get on board IF you have not prepaid. I had to call it to their attention after the first excursion was posted but the rest were done right thereafter.

I booked an excursion through the NCL app while onboard.  When I looked at my account detail online on the last day of the cruise, it did not show the Platinum discount.  I stopped by the Shore Excursion desk and the agent was able to correct it on the spot.  

If you don't see your discount -- make sure you go to the excursion desk and ask them to correc this.

I had to do that and what annoyed me is that it only counted for the 1st two passengers.

My kids, who have cruised as much as me (i.e. they are platnium based on # of cruises not by default), still will not get the discount.

17 minutes ago, xcell said:

If you don't see your discount -- make sure you go to the excursion desk and ask them to correc this.

I had to do that and what annoyed me is that it only counted for the 1st two passengers.

My kids, who have cruised as much as me (i.e. they are platnium based on # of cruises not by default), still will not get the discount.

Hadn't heard that before -- where did they say that "first two pax in cabin limit" is stated for Platinum Latitudes members?

I don't see it in either of these:

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program/benefits-terms-and-conditions

6 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Hadn't heard that before -- where did they say that "first two pax in cabin limit" is stated for Platinum Latitudes members?

I don't see it in either of these:

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program/benefits-terms-and-conditions

I was only given the discount for the 1st two in my cabin of 4...

17 minutes ago, xcell said:

I was only given the discount for the 1st two in my cabin of 4...

I understand; you said that in your prior post.  But I was wondering where the shorex people were getting any sort of limit like that on a Plat Latitudes Member's benefit of 10% off a shore excursion, since the two links I posted explain the Latitudes Members' benefits and applicability to shorex, and neither has such a limit.  If you are Plat Latitudes, you get 10% off a shore excursion; there's nothing I can see that says only the first two Plat Lat members in a cabin get that discount.    (Apologies if I've missed something in the docs.  Again, I can't recall anyone else mentioning a limit like this.)

Edited by Turtles06

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

maybe the discount is only for valid platinum members over 18 like other benefits for some odd reason

Thank you for clearing this up. Per NCL, it appears that children under 18 are not enrolled in the Latitudes program:

To make it easy for you to receive special loyalty offers, onboard benefits and Norwegian Cruise Line news, we enroll all guests who have cruised with us and who are at least 18 years of age in our Latitudes Rewards program within 48 hours after you have completed a sailing. No action is required on your part and your membership and rewards in this exclusive program are automatic.

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program/faq