Cell phone streaming question

t_fins

I am leaving today from Ft Lauderdale aboard the adventure of the seas. We plan to board around 12:30. My favorite football team plays at 1pm. If I stream the game in my cell phone(T Mobile) while still in port in Florida will I be charged extra? I figure we don’t leave until after 4 so I’d see the whole game before going into roaming. 

thx 

I am leaving today from Ft Lauderdale aboard the adventure of the seas. We plan to board around 12:30. My favorite football team plays at 1pm. If I stream the game in my cell phone(T Mobile) while still in port in Florida will I be charged extra? I figure we don’t leave until after 4 so I’d see the whole game before going into roaming. 

thx 
As long as you haven't left port, you will still be utilizing your tmobile network. No problem. As soon as you leave port, go to airplane mode. If you purchased the wifi package, keep airplane mode on and separately turn wifi back on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, FloatMe said:

As long as you haven't left port, you will still be utilizing your tmobile network. No problem. As soon as you leave port, go to airplane mode. If you purchased the wifi package, keep airplane mode on and separately turn wifi back on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thx. This is what I was hoping. Just didn’t want to get charged $300 dollars to watch my Dolphins lose again lol 

• Like 1

If you are not using WiFi but T-mobile, simply check what carrier you are on to ensure it's T-mobile.  It should be until you actually get out of cell range out at sea.  The carrier is shown on an Iphone in the upper left corner.  Not sure where it's shown on non Iphones.  

Also if you have the Internet package on the ship are you aware of "WiFi Calling?"  You can use your phone while on WiFi anywhere in the world, just like you're sitting in your own home.  

1 hour ago, t_fins said:

Thx. This is what I was hoping. Just didn’t want to get charged $300 dollars to watch my Dolphins lose again lol 

Just make sure your cell phone still says "T-Mobile" on the display and not anything like "Cellular at Sea".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, t_fins said:

Just didn’t want to get charged $300 dollars to watch my Dolphins lose again

I don’t think T-mobile has an agreement in place with the cruise line for cell data and even if it did, I don’t believe the data rate is high enough to support streaming video - BTW, if if did happen, your bill would be a lot higher than $300. 

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Cellular-at-sea isn't turned on until some time after the ship has left port anyway..

That is normally the case and is what they are supposed to do, but every once in a while it is still on while in port.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

That is normally the case and is what they are supposed to do, but every once in a while it is still on while in port.

I doubt it. The cruise line would be violating several laws. People who report they got Cellular at Sea charges when in port likely made the mistake. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I doubt it. The cruise line would be violating several laws. People who report they got Cellular at Sea charges when in port likely made the mistake. 

I know it's a big deal, but I've experienced it on while we are in port.

10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

If you are not using WiFi but T-mobile, simply check what carrier you are on to ensure it's T-mobile.  It should be until you actually get out of cell range out at sea.  The carrier is shown on an Iphone in the upper left corner.  Not sure where it's shown on non Iphones.  

Also if you have the Internet package on the ship are you aware of "WiFi Calling?"  You can use your phone while on WiFi anywhere in the world, just like you're sitting in your own home.  

So if I make a WiFi Call, do any roaming charges apply?

32 minutes ago, cruisincowgirl1991 said:

Making a WiFi call is like making a call from your normal home area.  So for example, if you call Europe on WiFi calling (no matter where you are physically), you will be charged extra unless your cell plan already covers Europe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

What mistake did the people who reported they got Cellular at Sea make?

I have embarked in ports in Florida.  A couple of times once on board while the ship was still in port in Ft Lauderdale and Port Canaveral my phone reported a Cellular at Sea connection vs ATT.  I immediately put my phone in airplane mode.  The mistake was on the Cruise line not turning off their "cell tower".  Since their "tower" was stronger than any ATT tower it "homed into the ships tower.

10 hours ago, cruisincowgirl1991 said:

No.  As Bob said it's like making a call from home.  So, if you are sitting in a WiFi Cafe in London, and are connected to WiFi, and have your phone in Airplane Mode (this will force it to WiFi Calling mode), you can call your kids in the U.S. for free. You can do anything on your phone that you can do at home for no charge.  If you call a London number, you'll be charged as if you were sitting in your own living room calling  a London number.  

This feature works anywhere.  With WiFi Calling enabled, and hooked up to the WiFi, your phone will "choose" either "WiFi Calling" or regular Cell, whichever signal (Wifi or cell) is the strongest.   We have a weak cell signal in our home.  So we are always on WiFi Calling when in our house.  The phone does this automatically.  When on the ship or in a foreign country, the Cell signal will likely be stronger.  So the phone will hook up to cell towers.   To prevent this you need to put your phone in "Airplane Mode" and hook up to a WiFi.  After a few seconds, your phone will enter "WiFi Calling" mode and you'll have full functions at no cost.  You can verify this by looking at what carrier your phone is connected to (upper left on an Iphone).  For Verizon, for example, it'll say "VZW-wifi" when on WiFi Calling. If you see  that, you're good to go. 

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

If you call a London number, you'll be charged as if you were sitting in your own living room calling  a London number.  

That depends on your carrier.

With T-mobile, if I call a number that is local to where I place the call, I do not pay long distance.

23 hours ago, SRF said:

With T-mobile, if I call a number that is local to where I place the call, I do not pay long distance.

I'm not familiar with T-mobile.  But is that with no extra charge, or is it with an international plan? My point is that when on WiFi calling in a foreign country,  you are charged as if you are in your own home,  according to your individual plan.  Are you saying that with T-mobile you can make free local calls anywhere?  

On 12/2/2019 at 8:14 AM, SRF said:

According to their support documents if you are on WiFi calling you will be charged international rates for local calls if outside the US. Just like the other carriers. 

Perhaps your calls were on an international roaming plan. When I use a Travel Pass there are no charges to local numbers or to the US. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I'm not familiar with T-mobile.  But is that with no extra charge, or is it with an international plan? My point is that when on WiFi calling in a foreign country,  you are charged as if you are in your own home,  according to your individual plan.  Are you saying that with T-mobile you can make free local calls anywhere?  

I can make free local calls in the area I am located in, when I have made wifi calls.  But if they charge (cell call), it is only 25 cents per minute.

No extra charge for "international plan."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I can make free local calls in the area I am located in, when I have made wifi calls.  But if they charge (cell call), it is only 25 cents per minute.

No extra charge for "international plan."

T-Mobile says they charge international rates when using WiFi calling. Their International no extra charge is 2G which would not be sufficient for me. In any case their US domestic coverage would not be good enough for me. I put a T Mobile SIM card in my iPad on my last US road trip. I ended up having to hotspot from my iPhone on AT&T a lot. 

When I switched, I kept my ATT phone for a over a month to compare coverage.  I found them to be very comparable for my area.   Some places I would not have good T-Mobile signal, but good ATT, then another place, it would be the reverse.

And T-Mobile is expanding their network.  A dip near my house that used to be a lost signal, is not full strength.  So what it was a few years ago, is not what it is now.  

As for international.  I got charged 25 cents per minute to make wifi calls from Vietnam to US.  But I have never seen a charge for wifi calls made to the local area where I am.  But either way, still better than paying $10 per day for ATT or Verizon international plan.  When I was with ATT, for $30, they would give me $1 per minute calling, free texts, and some small (a few MB), for 30 days.  Heck, for extra lines on T-Mobile, I don't pay $30 a month. 😄

As for 2G, that is guaranteed.  I have gotten LTE in some countries.  Or you can pay a bit and get a block of high speed data.  I seldom need it, as there are plenty of wifi hot spots around in most countries.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

When I switched, I kept my ATT phone for a over a month to compare coverage.  I found them to be very comparable for my area.   Some places I would not have good T-Mobile signal, but good ATT, then another place, it would be the reverse.

And T-Mobile is expanding their network.  A dip near my house that used to be a lost signal, is not full strength.  So what it was a few years ago, is not what it is now.  

As for international.  I got charged 25 cents per minute to make wifi calls from Vietnam to US.  But I have never seen a charge for wifi calls made to the local area where I am.  But either way, still better than paying $10 per day for ATT or Verizon international plan.  When I was with ATT, for $30, they would give me $1 per minute calling, free texts, and some small (a few MB), for 30 days.  Heck, for extra lines on T-Mobile, I don't pay $30 a month. 😄

As for 2G, that is guaranteed.  I have gotten LTE in some countries.  Or you can pay a bit and get a block of high speed data.  I seldom need it, as there are plenty of wifi hot spots around in most countries.

Everyone has different needs for good service areas. Also I have a single line so I don't need extra lines. Plus At&T is giving me HBO which saves me $15 a month. AT&T works for me. T-Mobile works for you. Verizion works best for my sister and family. 

I am afraid though that we all may be screwed when the T-Mobile/Sprint merger is completed. Less competition can't be good. T-Mobile has been a scrappy network and lower prices because it has had the worst coverage. That kept everyones prices down. 

Edited by Charles4515

BTW, I get free Netflix with my T-Mobile account.

But to me, the really big advantage to T-Mobile is with international travel.

When I can get coverage and access in Mauritania and Burkina Faso (recent trip), I am happy. 😄

On 12/2/2019 at 6:26 AM, papaflamingo said:

No.  As Bob said it's like making a call from home.  So, if you are sitting in a WiFi Cafe in London, and are connected to WiFi, and have your phone in Airplane Mode (this will force it to WiFi Calling mode), you can call your kids in the U.S. for free. You can do anything on your phone that you can do at home for no charge.  If you call a London number, you'll be charged as if you were sitting in your own living room calling  a London number.  

This feature works anywhere.  With WiFi Calling enabled, and hooked up to the WiFi, your phone will "choose" either "WiFi Calling" or regular Cell, whichever signal (Wifi or cell) is the strongest.   We have a weak cell signal in our home.  So we are always on WiFi Calling when in our house.  The phone does this automatically.  When on the ship or in a foreign country, the Cell signal will likely be stronger.  So the phone will hook up to cell towers.   To prevent this you need to put your phone in "Airplane Mode" and hook up to a WiFi.  After a few seconds, your phone will enter "WiFi Calling" mode and you'll have full functions at no cost.  You can verify this by looking at what carrier your phone is connected to (upper left on an Iphone).  For Verizon, for example, it'll say "VZW-wifi" when on WiFi Calling. If you see  that, you're good to go. 

To add to this you also have to turn on WiFi Calling while you are at home (meaning the area of your calling plan before roaming kicks in.) If you live in NY you can still turn WiFi Calling on if you are in Florida.

• Like 1