Questions about Specialty Dining.

trummy

When I went to sign up for specialty dining it asked for dates and times I would like to reserve a table. The thing is, on a cruise, I don't want to be that nailed down time wise. I don't want to be in a situation where I am enjoying an activity and have to leave to meet my reservation.

My questions are, is there a way to do specialty dining without having to reserve specific times?

If I chose not to go with the dining package, can I just go to the restaurant and ask for a table and be seated? I am thinking of the Japanese restaurant specifically.

If you're talking about Teppanyaki then the odds of you getting a seat without a reservation is slim. Maybe if it's just one person it's easier to slot in, but it's a very popular restaurants and it will sell out given that it has a limited number of seats. 

You can go to the restaurant and ask for a table, but there's a good chance they'll tell you they have no table for the night or that you need to come back in 2 hours. It'll depend a lot upon your specific sailing - do a lot of passengers also have the package or do a lot not, what time you go, etc etc. 

• Like 2

Teppanyaki's seating is very limited so it will be better safe than sorry to make a reservation ahead of time. We used the Dining Package last month and just worked around the reservation times we made online but I was told by others that they don't show all of the reservation times online and you can make reservations at other times once on board if they are available. 

• Like 1

If your an early dinner person 5;30 to 6;30 or a late eater 8;30 to 9;30 you will as 1 person be able to walk up to most restaurants and get in. Le bistro and Teppanyaki are limited seating and you should reserve  them in advance.

• Like 2

If you participate in the solo meets on the ship you will sometimes find a group or person that has an extra seat on their reservation. 

That happened to me on my first cruise on the Bliss, ended up with a group of 4 that had met on the previous cruise (they did B2B) and had reservations for 6 but only 4 people, I ended up dining with them 3 nights that week.  On my second trip there were similar discussions going on but I already had plans.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trummy said:

When I went to sign up for specialty dining it asked for dates and times I would like to reserve a table. The thing is, on a cruise, I don't want to be that nailed down time wise. I don't want to be in a situation where I am enjoying an activity and have to leave to meet my reservation.

My questions are, is there a way to do specialty dining without having to reserve specific times?

If I chose not to go with the dining package, can I just go to the restaurant and ask for a table and be seated? I am thinking of the Japanese restaurant specifically.

You can walk up and ask to be seated. Most restaurants will sell out quickly onboard. Once sold out, you won’t get a reservation. Suite guests often Have the concierge oversell restaurants for them. If you just walk up, don’t be surprised if you are asked to return later (after 9 pm). If you are on a small ship, you are unlikely going to get walk up Teppanyaki. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You can walk up and ask to be seated. Most restaurants will sell out quickly onboard. Once sold out, you won’t get a reservation. Suite guests often Have the concierge oversell restaurants for them. If you just walk up, don’t be surprised if you are asked to return later (after 9 pm). If you are on a small ship, you are unlikely going to get walk up Teppanyaki. 

I will be solo on the Norwegian Getaway.

I agree that you are unlikely to get a walk up at Teppanyaki. I don't know how easy it is to walk up to the other restaurants. But I think that with the number of people who get the dining package now as a perk, the restaurants tend to fill quickly. We booked all of our times online ahead of our cruise just to make sure we had spots with the idea that we might change them onboard as the days got closer. Midway through our cruise I visited the reservation desk to see if I could change on of the days/times. All they had left for the restaurant I was looking at (can't remember which one it was, maybe cagneys) was after 9. I think Moderno and La Cucina are easier to get into. They have electronic boards posted that indicate on them which restaurants are full at which times to make it easier to plan. But if they are all red on the night you want to eat in one, you may be out of luck.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 2:16 PM, trummy said:

well the hardest of all would be Teppanyaki's. WE did give it a try on our last cruise but had to be there as soon as they opened and still have about 45 min wait. The others, yes, you can take a chance but many are pretty booked up from about 6:30 to after 8pm. There really are not that many activities going on a dining time so I don't think you would have a problem making reservations and keeping them. It is up to you, take a gamble if that is what you want, but you may be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I will just go with the flow. If there is an opening at the time I want to dine, I will take advantage of that. If not, that is cool too. I will be on vacation and when cruising, I enjoy the freedom to not be scheduled.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded. This will be my first NCL cruise and I have learned a lot from this thread.