Specialty menu substitutions

kjbacon

We enjoyed our first Azamara cruise several years ago and are considering a second but with another couple this time. We especially enjoyed the specialty restaurants and were always pleased with the dishes as presented. The other couple has many dietary restrictions and allergies so can they make substitutions on the menu? I just read over the menus for Aqualina and Prime C and here’s the type of things they might need to do. For the Branzino dish in Aqualina, could the sauté be served without the calamari or with a completely different sauce? In Prime C, could the crab cake appetizer be served in a larger portion as a main course ? Thank you.

If they have allergies it would be helpful if they emailed their dietary requirements beforehand to  special_needs@azamaraclubcruises.com then talk to the maitre D when on the ship. When you make the bookings for the speciality restaurants, you should mention it then, too. Shouldn’t be a problem to change dishes to suit them

There’s an Azamara blog about it here https://www.azamara.com/blog/food-allergies-and-cruising-everything-you-need-know

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

This is all great news and they will be thrilled. Also, just found the vegan menu and that will help them a lot too, except for the mushroom allergy. Lots of challenges with those two! I remember enjoying the food very much and look forward to our return.

I can tell you from personal experience that the all the servers and kitchen staff will go out of their way to accommodate the allergies. Upon embarkation go to  the MDR and speak to them about noting the allergies in the file.

I did this two Christmases ago as I am sensitive to egg and dairy. No way would they allow me to cheat and order something that had egg and dairy in it. I had to sneak away to the open buffet on deck 5 to have a piece of Xmas Log. No way were they allowing me to go against my food intolerance.

Just to clarify, if your friends file the Special Requests form a month or so before embarking they will receive a letter in their stateroom to meet with an officer in the MDR to discuss those concerns.

This meeting has always been at 5:45 p.m. on the first day of the cruise. Thus they needn’t search out staff.

• 4 weeks later...

These folks go out of their way to accommodate you. If you don't want the calamari, they will remove it. If it's not on the dish and you want it, they will serve it. Aqualina removed Dover Sole from the menu months ago. My wife was devastated. We went up to dinner, she advised the Maitre'd that she was upset it was no longer available. He asked her how she wanted it prepared. Same dinner, lobster was not on the menu. I asked if I could order it. I was asked "how many tails?" He was upset that I only ordered 3. He brought 4. Enjoy your cruise!