What does Carnival do to a ship when they upgrade it?

1st4our25th

2 hours ago, jmcathome said:

When they upgrade they will add more rooms, cut down on common space. They do paint and spruce it up. They do not change beds out. Last cruise i was in a suite and the bed was broken down and the mattress pad would not stay on. To fix the problem they removed the mattress pad.

The prodigal unhappy cruiser returns. Were you on the first sailing?

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

That's because it is not true that the ships are completely gutted. As you well discovered the cabins were not removed and replaced with new cabins.  When a ship is first constructed the cabins are installed as pre-fabricated units and then connected to plumbing and electric sources once in place. Clearly this was not done during the remodel and renaming hence there was no gutting of the passenger decks sleeping spaces. And yes, your cabin was shamefully in need of renovations. 

While I am not positive whether the actual walls were removed or covered on the Sunshine, I CAN tell you that wall coverings were in fact new on the Sunrise. New cabinet, flooring, wall coverings, TV’s, safes, bedding, mini fridges, and the list goes on.   

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

The prodigal unhappy cruiser returns. Were you on the first sailing?

Only been unhappy on one cruise , that one I spent it in the bathroom. The room is unimportant. No it was not in the first month. So how is it in the Carnival Corporate offices.

23 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

Only been unhappy on one cruise , that one I spent it in the bathroom. The room is unimportant. No it was not in the first month. So how is it in the Carnival Corporate offices.

Wouldn’t that make everyone happy?  Then you would have a good connection to funnel your input.  I actually can do that if you want.  

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Wouldn’t that make everyone happy?  Then you would have a good connection to funnel your input.  I actually can do that if you want.  

I know you aren't a Carnival employee.  We have done a lot of work with Carnival, and when we mentioned to a VP an upcoming Carnival cruise, his comment was "Why would you do that?"  The employees know...  We do a lot of cruise business and know them well, and there is a stark difference in enthusiasm between Carnival reps and everyone else.  Royal and NCL seem to be much more excited about their products.

Edited by BNBR

48 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I know you aren't a Carnival employee.  We have done a lot of work with Carnival, and when we mentioned to a VP an upcoming Carnival cruise, his comment was "Why would you do that?"  The employees know...  We do a lot of cruise business and know them well, and there is a stark difference in enthusiasm between Carnival reps and everyone else.  Royal and NCL seem to be much more excited about their products.

Not the impression I got, and I talk to a lot of people at all levels, but that is a topic for another day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not the impression I got, and I talk to a lot of people at all levels, but that is a topic for another day.

Do you speak with them as a Carnival customer or as a co-worker/friend?

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

Do you speak with them as a Carnival customer or as a co-worker/friend?

All of the above, most started as a business partner, but some are now good personal friends.  Have even vacationed with one (on a Carnival ship)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, audcc77 said:

We were just on the Sunshine. The common areas looked very nice but the cabin was pretty junkie.

In fact, in 20+ Carnival cruises, this was the most run-down cabin we’ve ever had. 

I did not mention anything to GS as it did not make the cabin unusable. I did ask that our bathroom door be oiled because it sounded like the door to a haunted house. 

AA8AF500-81BA-43F5-A8FE-2FB3A69D3790.jpeg

791C9D83-DB60-45A8-B968-D3905226BFD8.jpeg

D61324B9-ADE6-466A-A28A-8B4178D837A1.jpeg

8A5C9ADE-C688-4FDF-A2CE-211B757BAE25.jpeg

BB141279-E7E7-4784-B4CC-B50E0BA49BF6.jpeg

F2A96C2D-39BE-4260-A7E0-DA7E8F467FBE.jpeg

This should have been reported onboard.

5 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

That's because it is not true that the ships are completely gutted. As you well discovered the cabins were not removed and replaced with new cabins.  When a ship is first constructed the cabins are installed as pre-fabricated units and then connected to plumbing and electric sources once in place. Clearly this was not done during the remodel and renaming hence there was no gutting of the passenger decks sleeping spaces. And yes, your cabin was shamefully in need of renovations. 

Accurate.

6 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

True, but wall panels, fixtures, and  cabinetry can and was swapped out. I saw this on the Sunshine and I saw this on the Sunrise. Our cabins on both ships were fresh and new. 😎

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Are you sure about the bedding was not changed out during the upgrades to the Sunrise?

2 hours ago, jmcathome said:

Yes sure the bedding was not changed. 

I can think of several hotels that have not changed their mattresses in 15+ years and a couple that are even using mattresses from their previous hotel brands prior to being re-flagged. I wouldn’t expect Carnival to replace mattresses frequently at all.

Edited by xDisconnections

15 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will be doing a review of the TA bringing her back over. 

I booked a solo on the Radiance in 2021. I'm looking forward to reading & seeing the photos from your review next year too!  

🎄🎄

Bobbi