What does Carnival do to a ship when they upgrade it?

1st4our25th

When Carnival upgrades a ship and renames it, like with the Sunrise and the Radiance, do they gut it or do they just change a few areas? I was wondering if the cabins will be like new. Carpets? Bedding? Etc. Will the ship look like a brand new ship?

We have been on all three ships pre conversion and both remained ships to date and sailing on the Transatlantic sailing the Radiance back to New York.  They have improved the process from Destiny to Sunshine to the Triumph to Sunrise.  Carnival is ecstatic with the work effort done on the Sunrise.  Almost every foot of customer space was redone, all cabins, lido and restaurants and common space.   We were not disappointed and doubt you would as well. Other than the hull and generators that produce power it is a total redo.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

We have been on all three ships pre conversion and both remained ships to date and sailing on the Transatlantic sailing the Radiance back to New York.  They have improved the process from Destiny to Sunshine to the Triumph to Sunrise.  Carnival is ecstatic with the work effort done on the Sunrise.  Almost every foot of customer space was redone, all cabins, lido and restaurants and common space.   We were not disappointed and doubt you would as well. Other than the hull and generators that produce power it is a total redo.  

We're definitely looking forward to checking out Radiance in August next year. From what I've seen with the other two ships that were done we're in for a treat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

We're definitely looking forward to checking out Radiance in August next year. From what I've seen with the other two ships that were done we're in for a treat.

I will be doing a review of the TA bringing her back over. 

• Like 1

It will be a 13 day cruise with 5 sea days for the actual TA.  LOL, will give me plenty of time to explore all parts of the ship.  I will try for a live review, but may be tough for satellite connections during the TA portion.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will be doing a review of the TA bringing her back over. 

Can't wait! We are excited to see her when she's complete. I like to research before booking, but it's harder when the ship hasn't been "built" yet. I'm sure she will be wonderful. I went ahead and booked her for our first family cruise. We wanted to sail out of Port Canaveral this time, so choices were limited. Mardi Gras was not sailing to HMC and that was a must have for us. My husband and I enjoyed it so much last month that we wanted our girls to experience it as well. 

3 minutes ago, 1st4our25th said:

Can't wait! We are excited to see her when she's complete. I like to research before booking, but it's harder when the ship hasn't been "built" yet. I'm sure she will be wonderful. I went ahead and booked her for our first family cruise. We wanted to sail out of Port Canaveral this time, so choices were limited. Mardi Gras was not sailing to HMC and that was a must have for us. My husband and I enjoyed it so much last month that we wanted our girls to experience it as well. 

Our fav port, Mardi Gras to big for HMC.

12 hours ago, shof515 said:

the ship is completely  gutted out and then rebuilt up again

search on youtube and you will find plenty of videos. here is a great video of the carnival destiny to sunshine drydock:

We were just on the Sunshine. The common areas looked very nice but the cabin was pretty junkie.

In fact, in 20+ Carnival cruises, this was the most run-down cabin we’ve ever had. 

I did not mention anything to GS as it did not make the cabin unusable. I did ask that our bathroom door be oiled because it sounded like the door to a haunted house. 

AA8AF500-81BA-43F5-A8FE-2FB3A69D3790.jpeg

791C9D83-DB60-45A8-B968-D3905226BFD8.jpeg

D61324B9-ADE6-466A-A28A-8B4178D837A1.jpeg

8A5C9ADE-C688-4FDF-A2CE-211B757BAE25.jpeg

BB141279-E7E7-4784-B4CC-B50E0BA49BF6.jpeg

F2A96C2D-39BE-4260-A7E0-DA7E8F467FBE.jpeg

6 minutes ago, BNBR said:

They rename the ship and market it as a new ship to people who don't know better.  That's about all.

I cruised on the Triumph twice, and just spent 13 days on the Sunrise. Looked like a different ship to me. Very little of the Triumph remained. 😎

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

They rename the ship and market it as a new ship to people who don't know better.  That's about all.

I have to disagree with this. Just got off the Sunrise last week and we were very impressed with her. .Yes, there are times the Lido felt over crowdedbut it was manageable and we just avoided that area during the busiest time. So many alternative places to eat that we never used the buffet once. Wonderful crew. They did a beautiful job of rdoing her.

Pat

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

You are of course aware that the Sunshine was done almost 6 years ago, right?

Yes Jimbo, I’m aware.  All I’m saying is the cabin did not look to be renovated. Not by a long shot. 

As stated, I did not mention to GS because it was just worn; not “broken.”   There would be nothing they could do about it anyway.

I filled out my online survey stating that I was disappointed in my cabin’s worn appearance and offered to send photos if they requested them.  

I was merely responding to the post by shof515 stating the COMPLETE ship is done.

In my case, it doesn’t look like it was. 

When they upgrade they will add more rooms, cut down on common space. They do paint and spruce it up. They do not change beds out. Last cruise i was in a suite and the bed was broken down and the mattress pad would not stay on. To fix the problem they removed the mattress pad.

20 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

When they upgrade they will add more rooms, cut down on common space. They do paint and spruce it up. They do not change beds out. Last cruise i was in a suite and the bed was broken down and the mattress pad would not stay on. To fix the problem they removed the mattress pad.

But it's a whole new ship!

2 hours ago, audcc77 said:

We were just on the Sunshine. The common areas looked very nice but the cabin was pretty junkie.

That's because it is not true that the ships are completely gutted. As you well discovered the cabins were not removed and replaced with new cabins.  When a ship is first constructed the cabins are installed as pre-fabricated units and then connected to plumbing and electric sources once in place. Clearly this was not done during the remodel and renaming hence there was no gutting of the passenger decks sleeping spaces. And yes, your cabin was shamefully in need of renovations. 

• Like 1