Internet Included or Not ?

nast

36 minutes ago, nast said:

Is Internet Included (Free) on Viking Ocean Cruises or Not ?

It is included and free on Viking Ocean but don't expect to stream movies on your laptop or tablet.  Checking email, surfing on the Internet, posting pictures to social media work ok.  Also you can be logged into only one device at a time.  If you want to use wifi with both a phone and a laptop, for example, you must first log off the phone before you can log into wifi with the laptop.

Also you can be logged into only one device at a time.  If you want to use wifi with both a phone and a laptop, for example, you must first log off the phone before you can log into wifi with the laptop.

One device at a time PER PERSON. So two devices per cabin.

One side effect I noticed on Viking Jupiter's WiFi was that when my phone wasn't able to connect to land based cell service, its location service grabbed my location from the wifi, and that location was always Ancona, Italy, which is where the shipyard where she was built is located. I like to leave geo-tagging turned on when traveling so the photos identify where they were taken. Unfortunately, during my cruise of Norway and Scotland, I have a whole bunch of pictures that were apparently taken in Italy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, just_dont said:

One device at a time PER PERSON. So two devices per cabin.

One side effect I noticed on Viking Jupiter's WiFi was that when my phone wasn't able to connect to land based cell service, its location service grabbed my location from the wifi, and that location was always Ancona, Italy, which is where the shipyard where she was built is located. I like to leave geo-tagging turned on when traveling so the photos identify where they were taken. Unfortunately, during my cruise of Norway and Scotland, I have a whole bunch of pictures that were apparently taken in Italy.

We had this issue on our Eastern Seaboard cruise. I wanted to check prices on the Viking website for a cruise we were interested in before we met with the future cruise rep. I couldn’t get the US site only the UK site with prices in pounds. Not much help 

We even tried using our VPN but we still got the UK site 

12 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

We had this issue on our Eastern Seaboard cruise. I wanted to check prices on the Viking website for a cruise we were interested in before we met with the future cruise rep. I couldn’t get the US site only the UK site with prices in pounds. Not much help 

I had this issue last year. The Viking rep on board was aware and told me that the shared PCs in the atrium access the US Viking site. I tried it on a PC right outside her office, but all got was the UK site. She then told me she would get that addressed. I did try the Viking site when I was on a post extension in Italy last week - still only got the UK site there. However, I can get several Viking sites at home - US, UK, Canada and Australia. Go figure.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 8:18 AM, just_dont said:

That's a frequent location services artifact on most cruise ships.  If you have "high accuracy" location turned on, Android will use the location of your WiFi network as your location.

One of the things Android does while your back is turned is to send Google your phone's GPS location and what WiFi network it is connected to.  Google combines all the reports it gets on a particular WiFi network to come up with the "high accuracy" location of that network. In doing so, it seems Google discards all the reports that are not near the most commonly-reported location.  Eurodam was always at Seattle's Pier 91 and Grand Princess was always at San Francisco's Pier 35 until I turned "high accuracy" off.

That's a frequent location services artifact on most cruise ships.  If you have "high accuracy" location turned on, Android will use the location of your WiFi network as your location.

One of the things Android does while your back is turned is to send Google your phone's GPS location and what WiFi network it is connected to.  Google combines all the reports it gets on a particular WiFi network to come up with the "high accuracy" location of that network. In doing so, it seems Google discards all the reports that are not near the most commonly-reported location.  Eurodam was always at Seattle's Pier 91 and Grand Princess was always at San Francisco's Pier 35 until I turned "high accuracy" off.
Ironically, the ship itself is most capable of providing highly accurate location information. Too bad they can't provide it as the WiFi's location.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:24 AM, Haboob said:

I have an iPhone & iPad and my husband has a Windows based laptop, so that’s not our issue. I really disliked the Android OS, so I’m all Apple except for my PC, and I will probably switch to a MAC when MS stops supporting Win 7.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:21 PM, Cyber Kat said:

We had this problem as well.  The on-board future cruise consultants on two different cruises gave us a different website address to type into the web browser to bypass the English site.  It worked fine both times.