New to NCL Recommendations for Bliss

crusinot

Hi All,  I have cruised with Royal Carribean only.  I had a friend ask me for advice when booking her upcoming Norwegian Bliss cruise vacation. She wants recommendations as far as drink and dining packages.  Her fiancé enjoys simple meals.  The both drink alcohol.  I would consider them the adventurous types.  They will be cruising in April out of NY.  Destination to Florida, Bahamas, and NCL private island.  Please help.  All advice welcome. Excursions, perks,  what to buy, not to buy.  I advised her to join cruise critic.  I love these boards.  I have learned so much.  I checked out the Bliss online.  Just may need to try this ship for myself one day.  

What's their budget like?  (don't need the number, keep reading) Are they booking a sail-away or a guarantee room or are they selecting a specific room?  If they book a sail-away, they don't get the free-at-sea perks.  If they book an inside guarantee they get 2 I believe. If they book a balcony, they get all 5 (drink package, dining package, additional guests, 250 minutes of internet, $50 PER CABIN shore excursion credit) or can select 2 of the 5.

I suggest they look at the menus (plenty of them posted here and elsewhere online) to see if the specialty restaurants are of interest.  I did the math - visiting more than 2 pays for the package if they don't pick it with their cabin, or don't get a cabin with the included perk (my meal at Cagney's was over $70 if paid out of pocket, the 3-night package is $99 plus gratuities).  How many nights they get as a perk depends on how many nights the cruise is - I know that a 6-night gets 2 SDP visits while a 7-night gets 3.

Oh yeah - if they take a room with the dining and beverage packages they are responsible for the gratuities on those packages, 20% of the package cost if they were to buy it themselves.

58 minutes ago, crusinot said:

Just may need to try this ship for myself one day

I suggest you do.  They welcome aboard saying "welcome to the beautiful Norwegian Bliss", and they aren't lying.  There are definitely some questionable design choices but it's overall a nice ship, so nice I sailed on her twice in 6 months.

Suggest that they don't skip out on visiting the Observation Lounge or the Waterfront at least once, both are great spaces.

That might be enough to get started.  Maybe I need to look into becoming a travel agent (lol)...

• Like 1

SoBecause they drink alcohol do NOT choose a sailaway rate. There's pretty much no way the math works to book that rate for moderate drinkers (and obviously more than moderate).

The dining package is reasonable to buy so whether they choose a cabin with more than one perk should be more a consideration of if they want the cabin or not. Unless they book last minute the price difference between a 1 perk cabin and 2 perk cabin is practically always more than the cost of a dining package. 

I'm from Florida and have gone to the Bahamas countless times so I can't really help on excursions. Though the Kennedy space center always seems to be a hit. 

Laser tag is $10 a game and go karts is $15 a ride so be prepared to pay that if it's something you want to do. 

I highly recommend doing the Jersey Boys show. Great entertainers.  Adult content. 

I hope they are not cruising on a Northeast school vacation week. I just sailed the Bliss last week, Thanksgiving week, and it was booked solid. Lots of children aboard.

• Like 1

We will be on the April 12 sailing. So far we have booked the Beach Day at Blue Lagoon (Nassau) for me and Blue Lagoon Swim with The Dolphins for Boss Lady. Possibly getting a Clam Shell at GSC, I hear the sun can be brutal. For us, Jersey Boys is a must and are definitely looking forward to the Observation Lounge on the Bliss. Whatever date they book, have them join in on the Meet & Mingle, lot of great folks to hang with.

7 hours ago, softl said:

I highly recommend doing the Jersey Boys show. Great entertainers.  Adult content. 

I'll echo this, and add Six as something to seriously consider seeing.

I hadn't even gotten to entertainment in my post of suggestions - I decided to let them book the trip, THEN hit them with all the stuff they should consider doing online before sailing such as dining and show reservations, though all that stuff is covered in numerous other threads...

Sign up with the roll call and attend the M&G!  That will get their trip off to a great start!  Also, depending on their budget, if the Haven. Is within the budget, it’s a wonderful experience.  DH and I prefer to be IN the Haven for the full experience—we love rolling out of bed and either into the hot tub or the bar, depending!-but it is an investment so may not be worth the $$ for them.