Detailed Review BTB Caribbean Cruise on Star Legend

Misty Morning

My husband and I just returned from a B2B San Juan to San Juan on the Legend for my birthday and over Christmas and had a great time! It was our first motor yacht trip and though we did miss the sails of the Surf, the large cabin made up for it! The staff was wonderful as ever, especially Yogi, Trisha, Maria, Raffy and Mel! And the captain of the ship was lovely, so personable and visible. The ship is a bit worn and definitely ready for its renovations, but impeccably clean and very comfortable. We did miss the shady sitting options of the Surf for relaxing outside in the afternoon but almost always found a spot to get out of the sun and finish that good book!

We enjoyed the ports, many of which we hadn’t been to for close to 30 years. The Vieques stop was cancelled which was a disappointment especially with St Thomas as the substitute. But we made do with a water taxi trip to Water Island for the day for sun, drinks and band on the beach. Spent my bday on Jost which is a favorite of ours, so extra special fun celebrating with a Soggy Dollar painkiller! Isles les Saintes and Bequia were two other beautiful stops. And the beach BBQ on Pigeon Island was nicely done, complete with a very good steel band. Food on board was excellent, and we tend to be quite picky hailing from foodie-haven Portland, Maine. But everything was nicely presented and quite tasty. 

All in all, a wonderful trip. We look forward to our next in October on the Wind Star, which we have never been on. Barcelona to Lisbon..very excited for that one, too!

Happy New Year!

9 hours ago, mgirvin said:

He and his wife Trishna are the best! I showed him your post and he had an even bigger smile! And he definitely remembered you.

Awww thank you for showing him the post! Please tell him Deb and Gavin say hi!!

Is his wife also on the Legend? We are on the Surf right now and if she happens to be here, we will go seek her out. 

SailMaine

We are traveling on the Surf in 2 weeks and have a stop in Bequia. Can you tell me what you did that day? We have several ports I'm still struggling with and this is one of them. Did you do one of WS tours or on your own?

Thanks!

Hi, We have been to Bequia many times but we always beached  at Friendship  Bay, you need to take a taxi there, very hilly about 2-3 kms. There is a small hotel there if you buy a drink you can  use  the facilities. They are very friendly. Totally uncrowded. Lovely Beach. This year we will try Princess Margaret's Beach near the port, there is a boardwalk there about 1 km  to the beach or go to the far end of the beach by a small boat for $5 pp, they let you off at a beach bar with chairs and facilities. .i have never done this  so who  knows, hope so. You can get the boat at the tiny port. As you know I do not shop so can not help you there, but it is a very pretty, tiny, port. See you on board 10 days to go😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

SailMaine

We are traveling on the Surf in 2 weeks and have a stop in Bequia. Can you tell me what you did that day? We have several ports I'm still struggling with and this is one of them. Did you do one of WS tours or on your own?

Thanks!

SkiMom 2,

I agree with Strenz, Bequia is a beach day. Princess Margaret Beach is reachable by the boardwalk (small hill along the way) or by water taxi. There is one restaurant (Jack’sBar) on the closer end of the beach as well as several other chair vendors (who also have cold drinks and snacks). Nice beach, not too crowded and calm surf.  As Strenz mentioned, Bequia is not known for its shopping unless you are a fan of miniature boats.  I have never been to the other side of island (I understand there is a turtle hatchery) but this is something I would like to try on a future stop now that Strenz has told us where to go, lol!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misty Morning said:

SkiMom 2,

I agree with Strenz, Bequia is a beach day. Princess Margaret Beach is reachable by the boardwalk (small hill along the way) or by water taxi. There is one restaurant (Jack’sBar) on the closer end of the beach as well as several other chair vendors (who also have cold drinks and snacks). Nice beach, not too crowded and calm surf.  As Strenz mentioned, Bequia is not known for its shopping unless you are a fan of miniature boats.  I have never been to the other side of island (I understand there is a turtle hatchery) but this is something I would like to try on a future stop now that Strenz has told us where to go, lol!!

I read about the turtle hatchery. It sounds like it's a pretty questionable place - something more to make money from tourists rather than truely using best practices to conserve turtle populations. 

7 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

SailMaine

Thanks!

Ski Mom,

We have always been a fan of Bequia. It was Boxing Day so not a lot was open, but we spent the day exploring the town, buying a small whaling ship model down a side alleyway from the sweetest gentleman named Papa, having yummy pizza and rum punch at Macs Pizza and then walking the great boardwalk to Princess Margaret Beach. A very fun, easy swimming beach. We were going to take a taxi to explore the back side of the island but ran out of time! It was a great day and definitely an island we would consider going back to for a land based stay. Enjoy!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I read about the turtle hatchery. It sounds like it's a pretty questionable place - something more to make money from tourists rather than truely using best practices to conserve turtle populations. 

We went to the turtle hatchery some years ago - They make do with what they have. But, are all those places a bit of a tourist trap anyway?. Still glad we went.

1 hour ago, dandee2 said:

About Jost Van Dyke - How did they recover so far about the 2018 Hurricane season.?

They’ve recovered well since devastating Irma/Maria in 2017. We’ve spent a week on island staying at the Perfect Pineapple (behknd Soggy/Gertrude’s) in 2018 and just last week. Seen major strides and the most rebuilding has to do with residents homes. 

On 1/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, minidonuts85 said:

Is his wife also on the Legend? We are on the Surf right now and if she happens to be here, we will go seek her out. 

Minidonuts,

Seeing you're on the Surf right now in Tortola.  Any reason the ship is not docked as I see only the Marella Explorer in town?

Thanks for inquiring, we'll be on same one in March.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Misty Morning said:

Minidonuts,

Seeing you're on the Surf right now in Tortola.  Any reason the ship is not docked as I see only the Marella Explorer in town?

'Twas the same when we were in Tortola two weeks ago.  The Surf anchored despite space at the pier opposite the Marella Celebration.  I can only speculate that Windstar was trying to avoid paying docking fees.  The guests who had rough rides in tenders that day probably wish they had paid them and docked.

2 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

Minidonuts,

Thanks for inquiring, we'll be on same one in March.

I asked and was told it would allow them to open the watersports platform (being anchored)  It is open today!

15 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

I asked and was told it would allow them to open the watersports platform (being anchored)  It is open today!

It was not open while we were anchored in Tortola (and I don't believe it was scheduled to be).  The reason given was too much harbor traffic.  Love the consistency.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:53 AM, minidonuts85 said:

Awww thank you for showing him the post! Please tell him Deb and Gavin say hi!!

They both were on the Legend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 12:03 PM, Misty Morning said:

JJ6961, Ski Mom 2, did you manage to get the referral OBC's, just curious if it worked

The credit comes through once the newbies have paid in full for their cruise which means it goes onto your account for your next cruise.