S class A2 air intakes above balcony door issues?

twins_to_alaska

Saw this in a review for A2 Solstice toward aft.

"For the first cruise, we were in cabin 1642. The cabin was fine but the balcony was a disaster. There was a huge air intake above the patio door which made so much noise that we could not use the balcony. On the second cruise, we were moved to cabin 1638. The balcony did not have the air intake but cabins on both sides did so the noise was as bad. I cannot understand why these were installed on balconies in aqua class. We complained a lot and finally got a $250 on board credit. I really don't think this was sufficient for the loss of enjoyment of our balcony for both cruises."

I see the air intakes looking at pictures... Looks like starboard side 1626,1628,1630,1632,1636,1640,1642.

Anyone else have an issue with these air intake vents and balcony enjoyment? I was just able to upgrade to 1628 after a price decrease.

thanks!

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Haha 1

We have stayed in 1642 and 1626  multiple times and are not bothered by the air intakes, in fact I didn’t realize there was one on the balcony of 1642.  We much prefer those cabin to the ones across from crew access doors. 

I've looked through all the Equinox, Eclipse, Sostice, and Silhouette cruisecritic Aqua reviews now... found one more, this time on Silhouette. They listed as A1 but it's an A2.

Cabin A1 1630
Our cabin was as expected although the en-suite was of particularly good proportion with good storage and an excellent shower. What did let it down was the fact that the ship's air conditioning duct runs along at deck 11 level starboard side and creates an intolerable noise when sitting on the balcony. Do not under any circumstances book a cabin on this deck on the starboard side unless you are deaf. I would rather have had a restricted view as the idea of sitting out enjoying the view in peace and quiet was impossible. Fortuanately for us we went ashore whenever possible and the weather was poor on three of the five sea days otherwise we would have been even more fed up. This noise issue really should be flagged up by Celebrity and then at least we would have had a choice.
Edited by twins_to_alaska

And from the S Class cabin compilation

1624 Equinox: very loud from an air conditioning vent that vented directly on to our balcony. Actually, the vent was above the room next to us 1626, but there was a false ceiling that ran above that cabin.

1626 Equinox: Balcony had a double ceiling with a fan located overhead giving a constant drone. The cabin itself was quiet.

1626 Solstice: Horrible cabin! In 42 cruies this was one of the worst cabin experiences we had. One (problem) was a VERY loud swooshing sound on the balcony. Seriously, it sounded like you were in a wind tunnel. The Officer that came in response to our complaint said it was an air exhaust vent above our balcony. With the door shut all was quiet... with the door open it was terrible.

1642 Eclipse: First cabin in a row of 9 with air vents above balcony - but not a significant problem.

We stayed one cruise  in that cabin.  There was always condensation dripping on us when on the balcony and the area was always  covered with salt.  We would clean the area and the salt would  reappear.  If you look above you can see that the “roof” is lower, and if you look at that area while in  a port you can see the large intake.    We thought that it may have been because it was the first cruise in the Caribbean after a trans Atlantic and the ship was still cold from that crossing causing the condensation. 

You could also hear the blowers when they were running.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

These are pictures of the condensation on the ceiling above the balcony and the drips of water on the table.  The pictures of the ceiling look like paint drips or bad orange peel but it is water from  condensation.   

it was impossible to sit out there as it was like being in a light rain.

The picture of the table was shortly after wiping it and the chairs off using towels that we got from the pool.  We keep a large supply of them

When I went to Guest Relations about the problem I asked if that was the reason for the umbrella in the cabin and then requested another one so both of us could sit out there.    All I got was a smile.  🙂

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

63A1F3BA-4A69-46F8-8DA0-16411E163811.jpeg

4E7BDED3-E73D-4F01-ACB4-7C33964A36F9.jpeg

B8A0FCEE-12CE-4422-BED0-473251AB7636.jpeg

7B080E7C-9300-44BB-A848-4630C08F1422.jpeg

Edited by miched

3 hours ago, miched said:

We stayed one cruise  in that cabin.  There was always condensation dripping on us when on the balcony and the area was always  covered with salt.  We would clean the area and the salt would  reappear.  If you look above you can see that the “roof” is lower, and if you look at that area while in  a port you can see the large intake.    We thought that it may have been because it was the first cruise in the Caribbean after a trans Atlantic and the ship was still cold from that crossing causing the condensation. 

You could also hear the blowers when they were running.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Which cabin was this and which ship please?

The sticky on individual cabins is fine but it’s worth remembering that you can still have issues on individual cruises even if none have been noted before. We had to move from our cabin in September due to a problem.

• Like 1

I think it was 1605 on the Equinox It was one of the AQ cabins with the large balcony on the slant at the rear of the ship.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched