Carnival Panorama is in Cabo San Lucas today!

Spaniel Lover

I'm in Cabo San Lucas today (aboard Norwegian Joy) and as I was sitting on my balcony enjoying the morning sun, Carnival Panorama pulled up right next to us!

743013124_CarnivalPanorama-CaboSanLucas-1000x668-IMG_3421-1.jpg.ad3272d7d376ab949f9326090c44b2f9.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she's even carrying paying passengers yet.  If I'm not mistaken, she just came out of the shipyard in Italy, did a transatlantic crossing, sailed around the tip of South America to get in to the Pacific, and sailed up the west coast of the Americas on her way to her new home port in Long Beach, California.

1857226504_CarnivalPanorama-CaboSanLucas-1000x668-IMG_3424-2.jpg.b687ca5eaafa8e610c8ea6eee89ffc29.jpg

By the way, can anyone explain why she didn't sail through the Panama Canal?  I don't think she's too large for it.  I came through the Panama Canal (the new side) on Norwegian Bliss about two years ago.  Seems to me that the new side of the canal could have fit Carnival Panorama, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.  Maybe Carnival just didn't want to pay the canal fees.

590526645_CarnivalPanorama-CaboSanLucas-1000x668-IMG_3428-1.jpg.f61c00f8a310c2981619094e06626a5c.jpg

So, if there are no paying passengers aboard...  who is onboard besides crew members?  Some VIPs perhaps?

I wonder if she'll spend the full day in Cabo today, or if this is just an exercise for her crew to get used to visiting here.

In any case, I sure am delighted to see her!  I'll be sailing on her about a month from now.

If you'd like to see some video of her interior, shot at the shipyard just before she began her voyage to California, take at look at this:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she's even carrying paying passengers yet.

Correct, No passengers. the ship was at Puerto Vallarta yesterday to pick up crew and supplies. According to John post on FB, they will be testing the tenders and lifeboats today 

By the way, can anyone explain why she didn't sail through the Panama Canal?  I don't think she's too large for it.  

Most likely it is due because the lifeboats hang off the side of the ship. Other Norwegian ships like the Escape, Epic, Breakaway have the same problem. This is why on the newer Norwegian ships like the Bliss, Joy, Encore the lifeboats is in the traditional setup being inside the ship structure

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this video. We are booked the Jan 18th as well. Super excited! The ship looks beautiful and will be a big step up for us west coasters. I refuse to fly across the country to cruise so this gives us more options. I'm hoping Carnival does some cruise itineraries even further south than the Mexican Rivera and down to the South Americas. I hate flying and cruising is a great way to travel.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaniel Lover said:

I'm in Cabo San Lucas today (aboard Norwegian Joy) and as I was sitting on my balcony enjoying the morning sun, Carnival Panorama pulled up right next to us!

743013124_CarnivalPanorama-CaboSanLucas-1000x668-IMG_3421-1.jpg.ad3272d7d376ab949f9326090c44b2f9.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she's even carrying paying passengers yet.  If I'm not mistaken, she just came out of the shipyard in Italy, did a transatlantic crossing, sailed around the tip of South America to get in to the Pacific, and sailed up the west coast of the Americas on her way to her new home port in Long Beach, California.

1857226504_CarnivalPanorama-CaboSanLucas-1000x668-IMG_3424-2.jpg.b687ca5eaafa8e610c8ea6eee89ffc29.jpg

By the way, can anyone explain why she didn't sail through the Panama Canal?  I don't think she's too large for it.  I came through the Panama Canal (the new side) on Norwegian Bliss about two years ago.  Seems to me that the new side of the canal could have fit Carnival Panorama, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.  Maybe Carnival just didn't want to pay the canal fees.

590526645_CarnivalPanorama-CaboSanLucas-1000x668-IMG_3428-1.jpg.f61c00f8a310c2981619094e06626a5c.jpg

So, if there are no paying passengers aboard...  who is onboard besides crew members?  Some VIPs perhaps?

I wonder if she'll spend the full day in Cabo today, or if this is just an exercise for her crew to get used to visiting here.

In any case, I sure am delighted to see her!  I'll be sailing on her about a month from now.

If you'd like to see some video of her interior, shot at the shipyard just before she began her voyage to California, take at look at this:

Hey Jim! I love your videos, and cannot wait for your Carnival Panorama vlogs!

2 hours ago, Spaniel Lover said:

Maybe Carnival just didn't want to pay the canal fees.

I think it has more to do with Carnival not wanting to redesign the class of ship just for fitting through the canal. I am pretty sure Carnival would much rather pay for the Panama Canal fees than the fuel fees. $2,000,000 worth of fuel for an extra 20 days sailing around Cape Horn as opposed to Panama Canal's $633,264 fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know Jim Zim was on Cruise Critic! I booked a cruise immediately after watching your Ovation of the Seas video, entirely because of your video, and it was the best cruise I've ever been on.

Very excited for your Panorama video, I'll be sailing in May.

11 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I didn't know Jim Zim was on Cruise Critic! I booked a cruise immediately after watching your Ovation of the Seas video, entirely because of your video, and it was the best cruise I've ever been on.

I'm glad you liked Ovation Of The Seas.  Royal Caribbean really did a nice job with the Quantum Class of ships.  That's my favorite class of Royal Caribbean ships.  The Oasis class gets all the attention, but the Quantum Class actually are better in several aspects that are important to me.

I actually really started out doing cruise reviews on Cruise Critic, years ago, long before I got any followers on YouTube.  I've slacked off on my Cruise Critic reviews in the last year or two simply because between my "real job" and YouTube I just didn't have the time after I got home from a cruise to put together a quality Cruise Critic review with photos and videos.  But with my retirement coming up next year, I am hoping to be able to get back to doing a full review on YouTube and a full review on Cruise Critic after each cruise.

• Like 1