FYI if you have to replace a guest

Eli_6

I just had to replace a guest on a family cruise we are sailing on in less than two weeks...long story. I had to pay $250, but otherwise it was easy enough to do and a better alternative than the full cruise fare going to waste.  

• Like 2

Yeah, that is expensive. I just don't book any discounted rates anymore because of incidents like this --- changing a Guest name, or changing to another Ship entirely. I know me --LOL-- I make changes.   

I am sorry they feel the need to charge these kind of prices. 

🎄🎄

Bobbi

8 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Yeah, that is expensive. I just don't book any discounted rates anymore because of incidents like this --- changing a Guest name, or changing to another Ship entirely. I know me --LOL-- I make changes.   

I am sorry they feel the need to charge these kind of prices. 

🎄🎄

Bobbi

I was expecting a fee.  I was just glad they let me change at all considering how close it is to the sailing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cmptrwiz said:

Had you booked early saver?

Honestly, I have no idea.  It is a Christmas sailing so may be more.  I made the reservation a really long time ago for eight of us including my step-Dad.  During that time period, my Mother and step-father's relationship completely deteriorated.  When it was time to check in at 90 days, I was very hesitant to put his name in but they swore he would go and all would be okay.  They officially split up last week. Given the circumstances and how bad their relationship has deteriorated, I would rather pay it than have him come on the cruise.  

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Is that the standard fee, or was it higher because it was so close to sailing? I find that to be excessive.

It’s because they were booked under Early Saver. There are no name changes under this rate, so you have to cancel one person and re-book another. The cancelled person forfeits $50 and the remainder of their deposit is held in their name, and can be used within a certain amount of time towards the balance of another cruise (not the deposit unless they rebook a new cruise at the same time as cancelling the first one). The new person booked on the cruise then has to pay their own deposit. In this case, the amount was $250. 

I called and they said the $250 was regardless of the rate I booked under because it was less than 2 weeks to sailing unless I had purchased vacation protection.  They said I could have changed prior to final payment for nothing.  As an aside, because I was concerned about their relationship, I did book them under a higher rate than everyone else (not early saver) so I could change, but it didn't matter this close to sailing.  It was considered a cancellation and new booking...not a name change.  Apparently a name change is only if you say my name is for something like you accidentally put your maiden name rather than your maiden name or you misspell a name.  

Although, who even knows if this is correct. The person I spoke with didn't seem to really know much about this.

Edited by Eli_6

4 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

It’s because they were booked under Early Saver. There are no name changes under this rate, so you have to cancel one person and re-book another. The cancelled person forfeits $50 and the remainder of their deposit is held in their name, and can be used within a certain amount of time towards the balance of another cruise (not the deposit unless they rebook a new cruise at the same time as cancelling the first one). The new person booked on the cruise then has to pay their own deposit. In this case, the amount was $250. 

I was under the impression that after final payment date the ES rules for cancelling go out the window and the same rules apply no matter how you booked.

Anyway that was my understanding.

16 hours ago, Treyatl2006 said:

250? Since when has it been that high?

when you book the cheapest rate - its the early saver rate that comes with huge high penalties    

early saver allows no changes or cancellations.         other rates - since it is so close to sailing would have been higher too- just not this high

2 hours ago, serene56 said:

when you book the cheapest rate - its the early saver rate that comes with huge high penalties    

early saver allows no changes or cancellations.         other rates - since it is so close to sailing would have been higher too- just not this high

This has nothing to do with early saver or any rate code.  This fee should be the same on any booked rate when you are 2 weeks from sailing.  As the op posted - they did not use the Early saver, they used the full refundable.  Once you are past final payment, the code you booked under should not matter for cancels.  The post final payment rules are in effect at that point.  

The reason I say should, is because there are always loopholes and exceptions to every rule.

Edited by rukkian
misspelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I was under the impression that after final payment date the ES rules for cancelling go out the window and the same rules apply no matter how you booked.

Anyway that was my understanding.

Given that the OP only had to pay the deposit, not the whole cruise fare for the cancelled person, I was assuming that they are not past final payment date. 

Just so I know for future sailings, what rate do I need to book to be able to make name changes or cancellations without a fee?

And do these only apply up until final payment? 

Even when I talked to Carnival, I didn't seem to be able to get a straight answer.  

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Just so I know for future sailings, what rate do I need to book to be able to make name changes or cancellations without a fee?

And do these only apply up until final payment? 

Even when I talked to Carnival, I didn't seem to be able to get a straight answer.  

Basically any fully refundable rate you can change at any time until final payment.   After final payment, there are penalties.  A name change is basically a cancel of one person and an addition of another, it is not truly just a name change.  

Here are the terms from Carnival's website:

If you are canceling your booking prior to your final payment, there is no penalty to cancel unless you have booked a specific promotion with a non-refundable deposit and/or fare.

• For cruises 5 days or less, the final payment date is 75 days prior to sailing and for cruises 6 days or more, the final payment date is 90 days prior to sailing. 

The following promotions have a non-refundable deposit and/or fare at time of booking and will be penalized as such. Within our standard cancellation penalty period, regular penalties will apply.  

• Early Saver: The deposit is non-refundable at any time after the booking is made. All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 USD per person service fee. The future cruise credit must be used on a cruise within 24 months from the date of cancellation and can only be applied to your cruise fare. Any unused portion will be forfeited.
  • Super Saver: The deposit is non-refundable at any time after the booking is made.
  • Pack & Go: 100% of Total Fare is non-refundable any time after the booking is made.

Once your booking is within our cancellation penalty period, the amount of penalty will increase as the cruise departure approaches. When calculating the days prior to sailing, the day of sailing should not be considered as one of the days. The day of sailing is considered the first day of the cruise:

• From the final payment date to 56 days prior to sailing, the penalty is the standard deposit amount.
  • From 55 days prior to sailing to 30 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 50% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater.
  • From 29 to15 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 75% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater.
  • From 14 days prior to sailing to the day of your cruise, the penalty is 100%* of the total fare.
  • No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancel your vacation once it has begun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

@rukkian Thank you!  It sounds like it would not have mattered what rate I booked with the cancellation/substitution being so close to the cruise date.  

Unfortunately, that is correct.  After final payment, you have limited options.  

One thing we were told by a PVP - If you are unsure of who the 2nd guest in the room will be, book it under the name of the person you are sure will be sailing.  You will pay based on double occupancy, but when you do find that 2nd person or know for sure a couple is not going to break up, there is no fee to add that 2nd person.  In our case, no 2nd person was ever added, so we had to pay the double occupancy for our son.