Check in time question

Indianamale

I just checked in for our upcoming cruise in March and the earliest check in time available was 12-12:30 . I last cruised about 6 months ago and when I was looking at my past notes I noticed that we were able to check in 11:30 -12 .

Did something change? I frequently visit this board for tips and cruise news and I don't remember seeing anything about this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Indianamale said:

I just checked in for our upcoming cruise in March and the earliest check in time available was 12-12:30 . I last cruised about 6 months ago and when I was looking at my past notes I noticed that we were able to check in 11:30 -12 .

Did something change? I frequently visit this board for tips and cruise news and I don't remember seeing anything about this.

Did you check in on the first day possible to check in?  If not, the earliest time slots may have already been taken.  It may also depend on which port you are leaving from and which ship you are sailing on.  At the ports with minimal parking, they want the previous cruises out of the lots before they are allowing arriving passengers in.  With the newer Vista class of ships, it takes longer to debark passengers from the previous cruise.  Therefore, to keep congestion down in the terminal, they prefer that people show up later.  

If your check in time is 12-12:30, and you show up in that time slot, once you get in line, you should be able to walk right on the ship.

• Like 1

It seems that check-in times have gravitated to later over the last couple of years.  In my experience it seems to be there is no waiting anywhere.  When we show up on time, we just keep walking until we're on the ship.  

Edited by naxer
clarity

On 12/9/2019 at 5:29 AM, RWolver672 said:

Did you check in on the first day possible to check in?  If not, the earliest time slots may have already been taken.  It may also depend on which port you are leaving from and which ship you are sailing on.  At the ports with minimal parking, they want the previous cruises out of the lots before they are allowing arriving passengers in.  With the newer Vista class of ships, it takes longer to debark passengers from the previous cruise.  Therefore, to keep congestion down in the terminal, they prefer that people show up later.  

If your check in time is 12-12:30, and you show up in that time slot, once you get in line, you should be able to walk right on the ship.

Yes we got online and checked in at 12am est which is the 1st day we were allowed to check in and we're leaving from Ft.Lauderdale. Thanks for the info. 

On 12/9/2019 at 5:42 AM, serene56 said:

are you sailing the Magic?   I see that the earliest time for Magic starts at noon.    

I wonder why the Magic would have later time slots than other ships? I found the same thing for my upcoming Magic cruise. I had guessed maybe they had more Diamond cruisers on my cruise, so they didn't start regular boarding until 12. But it sounds like it's more widespread than that.  I almost always cruise from Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), and always found the 11:30 boarding slots to board quickly and easily. Therefore, it doesn't seem likely that they should have had to push the first slots back to 12:00 for that reason.

It's just a pain because you're stuck sitting in the lobby of your hotel after you checkout time of 11 am, waiting to be able to board at 12. Going and doing something else for while isn't really viable because you have your luggage to deal with. You don't want to be dragging your luggage around Ft. Lauderdale for an hour. But it's only half an hour later. We'll survive.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I wonder why the Magic would have later time slots than other ships? I found the same thing for my upcoming Magic cruise. I had guessed maybe they had more Diamond cruisers on my cruise, so they didn't start regular boarding until 12. But it sounds like it's more widespread than that.  I almost always cruise from Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), and always found the 11:30 boarding slots to board quickly and easily. Therefore, it doesn't seem likely that they should have had to push the first slots back to 12:00 for that reason.

It's just a pain because you're stuck sitting in the lobby of your hotel after you checkout time of 11 am, waiting to be able to board at 12. Going and doing something else for while isn't really viable because you have your luggage to deal with. You don't want to be dragging your luggage around Ft. Lauderdale for an hour. But it's only half an hour later. We'll survive.

Ft. Lauderdale is a zoo because of the silly checkpoints to enter the terminal. They probably have to space out the departures and arrivals. 

I think it is Galveston. Or maybe depends on number of platinums sailing. I am on Vista for Christmas and I checked in literally the first minute I could.  Was watching the clock. Zone A01. And I am 12-12:30.  

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I think it is Galveston. Or maybe depends on number of platinums sailing. I am on Vista for Christmas and I checked in literally the first minute I could.  Was watching the clock. Zone A01. And I am 12-12:30.  

At least since you're in the first group you stand a pretty good chance of boarding early, once the Priority guests are on. I'd expect a lot of Plat/Diamonds on a Christmas cruise since new cruisers would tend to avoid holidays on the ship. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, plunker said:

Our cruise is in August.   When would we check in?

Go to the Carnival site and log in.  Click on "Planner".  There will be a white box on the right hand side titled "Before You Go".

Under "On Line Check In" will be the first day you are eligible to check in.  (It starts at midnight EST).

7 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Go to the Carnival site and log in.  Click on "Planner".  There will be a white box on the right hand side titled "Before You Go".

Under "On Line Check In" will be the first day you are eligible to check in.  (It starts at midnight EST).

Do you have to log in at midnight, or can you already be logged in and just hit refresh at midnight?

22 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

My advice for Galveston, buy FFTF.  I will never board generally at Galveston.  No one observes the correct check in time.  People just break in the line in front of you.  The lines are crazy.  Just my experience.  Others may have differing opinions but I have found the Galveston boarding process to be maddening. I've sailed out of there three times.  Each time has been the same way  each time.  I have learned my lesson. 

18 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

They pushed back arrival times since people still show up at 9 am.

What port do people show up at 9 AM?  Most terminals do not allow passengers to enter the terminal until 10 AM. Even Carnival’s smallest ships usually don’t complete the debarkation process before then. 

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What port do people show up at 9 AM?  Most terminals do not allow passengers to enter the terminal until 10 AM. Even Carnival’s smallest ships usually don’t complete the debarkation process before then. 

Miami and Fort Lauderdale for sure.  They show up and sit outside the terminal.  Before arrival appointments, they would show up earlier and start lining up.  Part of the chaos has always been people arriving as people trying to head home

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Miami and Fort Lauderdale for sure.  They show up and sit outside the terminal.  Before arrival appointments, they would show up earlier and start lining up.  Part of the chaos has always been people arriving as people trying to head home

We are on the Panorama in a few weeks, so there is no FTTF available.  DH has mobility issues, so we use a wheelchair to board.  We have a 12:30 check-in (A12) but our Carnival PVP told us it is ok to get there early, as we try to avoid the crowds/lines for him.  In the past we have arrived at Long Beach a  bit before 11 and been onboard by 11:30-12.  We were planning on arriving early this time also, or should we rethink it?

59 minutes ago, OC SeaPA said:

We are on the Panorama in a few weeks, so there is no FTTF available.  DH has mobility issues, so we use a wheelchair to board.  We have a 12:30 check-in (A12) but our Carnival PVP told us it is ok to get there early, as we try to avoid the crowds/lines for him.  In the past we have arrived at Long Beach a  bit before 11 and been onboard by 11:30-12.  We were planning on arriving early this time also, or should we rethink it?

If you want to avoid the crowd, you go later not earlier.  You will not be permitted to enter the terminal until 12:30 and that is the crowded time.