email received saying we are owed money from ncl trip 18 months ago is it a scam?

ace2542

I for one find it nice that there is so proactive. 

The first question should have been, did I go on this cruise?  Then the second, was did they pay cash or what?

If he received a cruise credit, everyone would be talking about why couldn't it just be cash...LOL

For one a routing number, even an account number isn't good for anything.  Its not until things like Socials, pins and passwords come up that raise some bells.  I am not that free with account numbers, but honestly, I have given it out numerous times for people to transfer money in.  My bank requires way more interaction to make it a withdrawl/deposit access.

Wouldn't trust any website or basically anything other than letting me know that a refund is due and that they need to get in touch with me.

I would also ask for some latitude points as well....  😉

Do keep us informed, would love to see a refund find you 18 months later.

And just to clarify a bit, before the heat comes on.  I am not down playing the scam chances, but unless the OP received an email from an Egyptian price dying of prostate hemorrhages and needs to send them a refund of 12Million (USD) for a low fee...

The chances of an email offering a refund on an NCL cruise that was taken 18 months ago is either a *very* targeted way of getting some information from the OP or this scammer relies on quality over quantity.

In Europe (as long as Great Britian belongs to it) tend to do ALL business with direct bank withdrawal or direct deposit, so asking for the bank information is the norm over there. Many charities, departement stores and credit card payments are all done this way.   In opposition, the United States really is "antiquated" in their banking practices, by processing cheques and not as often pulling money directly from people's accounts. 

1 hour ago, Sauer-kraut said:

In Europe (as long as Great Britian belongs to it) tend to do ALL business with direct bank withdrawal or direct deposit, so asking for the bank information is the norm over there. Many charities, departement stores and credit card payments are all done this way.   In opposition, the United States really is "antiquated" in their banking practices, by processing cheques and not as often pulling money directly from people's accounts. 

It's not the US banking system that is antiquated, it's the older generation here, younger people use automated banking.  My son carries no cash and has no checks.  He gets a paper paycheck, takes a picture of it to deposit.

I haven't written a check in years, all my bills are on autopilot, deduct from my checking account.

Edited by smithop

NCL has an European HQ in Wiesbaden; NCL (Bahamas) Ltd., Kreuzberger Ring 68, D-65205 Wiesbaden

NCL UK does the United Kingdom, Germany handles the whole EU.

Mailing a cheque is less common back here, OP probably booked via NCL direct or an European TA to be contacted by Germany.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Just a little update for you all. I received the refund from NCL of about £123. Very honest of NCL to offer that refund when I was not aware it was coming to me.

Good for you,  Can you post your act. # here? All the naysayers should deposit 5e into your account!

Edited by NJGeorge

There will be this service charge to deposit that check into your account -

let me see that check was for £123 -x- times 100% service charge and voila your deposit has been recorded

and the service charge paid - no further action is required !

Now if something could be done about leaving unused OBC upon disembarking - - -

At the very least allow a credit against future cruises instead of it evaporating into the Great Void cloud !