Bariatric Surgery

RocketMan275

I think you’ll find that the restaurant staff will be happy to help in any way that they can.  You can have a word with the maitre d’ about any particular foods you’d like to have (or to avoid,) and how you’d like them prepared. You can also just have a starter for your main course, or request a starter-sized portion of a main course.  

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm scheduled for a gastric sleeve surgery in January.

Curious if any one has had a cruise after such a surgery and how did that work out? 

A close friend went through this a couple of years ago.  As I recall, he spent about two months transitioning from clear liquids, to liquids, through puréed foods, to small servings of mild foods.  He said that after that two months he was able to eat regular foods - avoiding fried foods and sticking to small portions - less than half of what he had previously eaten - and taking only very small portions of foods until he knew they did not react badly.  I hope you have a couple of months to gradually “find your way” — and that all goes well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm scheduled for a gastric sleeve surgery in January.

Curious if any one has had a cruise after such a surgery and how did that work out? 

A lot depends on what food stage you are in when you cruise.  If it is early on you might need to bring protein powder to make protein shakes.  If you're in the puree stage you might think about bringing one of those small 'Bullett' food processors.  if you are on solid foods, just eat to your plan - you'll have tons of choices.. The Buffett might be easier for you than the MDR..

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

A lot depends on what food stage you are in when you cruise.  If it is early on you might need to bring protein powder to make protein shakes.  If you're in the puree stage you might think about bringing one of those small 'Bullett' food processors.  if you are on solid foods, just eat to your plan - you'll have tons of choices.. The Buffett might be easier for you than the MDR..

Good luck!

I'll be about a year after surgery.

Not a Bariatric patient but a certified Bariatric nurse with a close family member 6 years post Sleeve. Agree with suggestions. Just remember the basics. Protein, veggies priority. You will have to keep hydrated, always have water with you, this is especially true in warm water climates. If surgery just a few months will be different then several years out. If early on go to your dietician for suggestions. Appetizer as main courses work well. Half portions may be ordered on some lines. After GB and DS surgery sugars not tolerated and not as tempting as prior to surgery.  Alcohol a real non no. Most programs require contract for no alcohol the
 first year and very careful afterwards. Alcohol can hit you really hard and loaded with extra calories. Also stick to 3 meals a day and no snacking. Grazing is a sure way to gain weight. Same rules as at home, nice thing on cruise is so many good activities not involving food.

You might be self conscious ordering small portions but table mates usually do not notice what others  eat.  My family member does not tell people he had the surgery, does not want to have people invariable watching and potentially judging. They just think he is a light eater who hates salads. He loves fish and portions sizable. Buffets he does not do on land or sea to as even now can not he control portions and still can get sick if overeats. The  rest of the family are healthy eaters and portions all are often similar. I hope this helps and I wish you happy sailing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, travelwell said:

Not a Bariatric patient but a certified Bariatric nurse with a close family member 6 years post Sleeve. Agree with suggestions. Just remember the basics. Protein, veggies priority. You will have to keep hydrated, always have water with you, this is especially true in warm water climates. If surgery just a few months will be different then several years out. If early on go to your dietician for suggestions. Appetizer as main courses work well. Half portions may be ordered on some lines. After GB and DS surgery sugars not tolerated and not as tempting as prior to surgery.  Alcohol a real non no. Most programs require contract for no alcohol the
 first year and very careful afterwards. Alcohol can hit you really hard and loaded with extra calories. Also stick to 3 meals a day and no snacking. Grazing is a sure way to gain weight. Same rules as at home, nice thing on cruise is so many good activities not involving food.

You might be self conscious ordering small portions but table mates usually do not notice what others  eat.  My family member does not tell people he had the surgery, does not want to have people invariable watching and potentially judging. They just think he is a light eater who hates salads. He loves fish and portions sizable. Buffets he does not do on land or sea to as even now can not he control portions and still can get sick if overeats. The  rest of the family are healthy eaters and portions all are often similar. I hope this helps and I wish you happy sailing.

I'm not anticipating any issues with the cruise, just being thorough.

My surgery is scheduled for 20 Jan and my next cruise isn't until December 2020.

I've got all my pre-surgery check lists done except for a EGD scheduled for next Tuesday.

Question: do you know a good online discussion forum for bariatric patients?

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm not anticipating any issues with the cruise, just being thorough.

My surgery is scheduled for 20 Jan and my next cruise isn't until December 2020.

I've got all my pre-surgery check lists done except for a EGD scheduled for next Tuesday.

Question: do you know a good online discussion forum for bariatric patients?

https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/

IMO, it is the indespensable site for bariatric patients of all stripes.  You can interact with people who have been living the life of your particular surgery, and learned to cope with the challenges.  IMO, this, like type 2,  is an area where hearing from a wide variety of people with practical experience over a long period of time is more valuable than the turnkey one size fits all guidance that many bariatric patients have to rely on.  It has been a long time since I visited, but it was invaluable to me in the run up to surgery, and even more invaluable in getting through the first couple of years.

If you go to that site, click on the 'Forums' pull-down and you will see all of the different forums for the various surgeries.  It is also great for people just thinking about it and needing more info about what they would be getting themselves into.

Good luck.  Mine gave me my life back, and I hope yours does the same for you.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

30 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/

IMO, it is the indespensable site for bariatric patients of all stripes.  You can interact with people who have been living the life of your particular surgery, and learned to cope with the challenges.  IMO, this, like type 2,  is an area where hearing from a wide variety of people with practical experience over a long period of time is more valuable than the turnkey one size fits all guidance that many bariatric patients have to rely on.  It has been a long time since I visited, but it was invaluable to me in the run up to surgery, and even more invaluable in getting through the first couple of years.

If you go to that site, click on the 'Forums' pull-down and you will see all of the different forums for the various surgeries.  It is also great for people just thinking about it and needing more info about what they would be getting themselves into.

Good luck.  Mine gave me my life back, and I hope yours does the same for you.

That works.  Thank  you.

I am a big believer in bariatric support groups at your bariatric center. Studies have shown increase success at weight loss  with attending a support group. That being said a forum can be useful if you read critically.  Asking real people how they handled things such as a cruise is helpful. This is a big life change and hearing folks stories can be a real motivator. 
I congratulate you for choosing this life changing surgery. I have had the honor to follow 15 years of successful, long term weight loss in my patients. I have seen health restored and new hobbies develop. I hope your journey is amazing, 

13 minutes ago, travelwell said:

I am a big believer in bariatric support groups at your bariatric center. Studies have shown increase success at weight loss  with attending a support group. That being said a forum can be useful if you read critically.  Asking real people how they handled things such as a cruise is helpful. This is a big life change and hearing folks stories can be a real motivator. 
I congratulate you for choosing this life changing surgery. I have had the honor to follow 15 years of successful, long term weight loss in my patients. I have seen health restored and new hobbies develop. I hope your journey is amazing, 

Thank you.  My surgery center has a support group and I fully intend to participate. This seems to be something where support can be essential.  Are you a surgeon?