Northern Lights cruise in 2022

jrmende63

I want to book a cruise to see the Northern lights in October of 2022. I see that Princess has this cruise for 2021. I am wondering if anyone here knows if this is a cruise that is offered each year? I can't find any other cruise line that sails this type, except Viking. I would rather do it with Princess.

Thanks for any information. And if you have done a cruise like this, please feel free to share the details.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, victravellers said:

I have just returned from a cruise Search for the Northern lights. I think it was the first time it was offered. It was very cold but fantastic. We did see the Northern Lights but there is no guarantee of course.

We had snow on the decks, which was fun.

That is so exciting that you did this cruise. Could you tell me what excursions you did? And where did you see the Northern lights? From the ship or on an excursion?

19 minutes ago, jrmende63 said:

That is so exciting that you did this cruise. Could you tell me what excursions you did? And where did you see the Northern lights? From the ship or on an excursion?

We had an overnight in Alta, we did a ships tour called search for the Northern lights. The first tour on the Friday unfortunately didn’t see the lights due to cloud. We went on the Saturday night and the sky was clear. It was -8 degrees celcius with a wind chill of -12 so rug up.

You could see the lights from the ship and many people got great photos on the upper decks.

BFBA6AE5-AB70-47BA-AE02-7563B9055BC2.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, victravellers said:

We had an overnight in Alta, we did a ships tour called search for the Northern lights. The first tour on the Friday unfortunately didn’t see the lights due to cloud. We went on the Saturday night and the sky was clear. It was -8 degrees celcius with a wind chill of -12 so rug up.

You could see the lights from the ship and many people got great photos on the upper decks.

BFBA6AE5-AB70-47BA-AE02-7563B9055BC2.jpeg

Love the picture. Thank you so much. Fingers crossed we are able to book this one for 2022 next fall. 

We were late arriving in Tromsø due to the weather but we did a tour on the cable car but visibility was pretty much zero because we were there quite late in the day. We also went to a polar museum which was pretty interesting.

In Stavenger we had a cruise through the lysefjord, beautiful scenery.

In Ålesund we stayed overnight again due to the weather. We just did a city tour and had plenty of time to explore around town. You can walk to the town from the ship.

• Like 1

I would recommend a tour to see the lights.  While you could get great photos from the ship I personally think the photos look best with perspective from the land. 
Here is a photo just of the sky and while it is beautiful it is kind of missing something.

F2E09A3B-D336-48FF-A6A2-64604EA03E38.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 7:00 PM, jrmende63 said:

I want to book a cruise to see the Northern lights in October of 2022. I see that Princess has this cruise for 2021. I am wondering if anyone here knows if this is a cruise that is offered each year? I can't find any other cruise line that sails this type, except Viking. I would rather do it with Princess.

Thanks for any information. And if you have done a cruise like this, please feel free to share the details.

Thanks!

Simple Google search

https://www.hurtigruten.com/inspiration/experiences/northern-lights/?gclid=CjwKCAiA58fvBRAzEiwAQW-hzXWrcOh-ZADg0O26iyxrgEXAv2zgsOcbmtm31S9rrQyipq5237oGfRoCDncQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

DON

I did this years cruise too. We certainly had some rough seas and more snow than you could poke a stick at but it was great fun. Luckily those lights showed up for us on that one night but if that's the sole purpose of taking the cruise, don't do it. I mostly did private excursions as the offerings from Princess were pretty ho hum.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 12:28 PM, majortom10 said:

There are cruises to see Northern Lights in October 2021 sailing from Southampton with P&O cruises and I should imagine they will be repeated in 2022.

Thank you for the info. I hadn’t thought about P&O. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, majortom10 said:

There are cruises to see Northern Lights in October 2021 sailing from Southampton with P&O cruises and I should imagine they will be repeated in 2022.

Also true for Fred Olsen, Regent, Silversea and Lindblad.  Celebrity talks about it but I didn't see any voyages.

21 minutes ago, 57eric said:

Also true for Fred Olsen, Regent, Silversea and Lindblad.  Celebrity talks about it but I didn't see any voyages.

Also Cunard is already scheduled for 2022 (but not yet taking bookings):

QM2

Mar 22 - Apr 3, 2022

Mar 22: Southampton

Mar 24: Hamburg

Mar 27-28: Tromso

Mar 30: Trondheim

Mar 31: Alesund

Apr 1: Stavanger

Apr 3: Southampton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 57eric said:

Also Cunard is already scheduled for 2022 (but not yet taking bookings):

QM2

Mar 22 - Apr 3, 2022

Mar 22: Southampton

Mar 24: Hamburg

Mar 27-28: Tromso

Mar 30: Trondheim

Mar 31: Alesund

Apr 1: Stavanger

Apr 3: Southampton

The op was asking about cruises to Northern Lights in October 2022.

23 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

Thank you for the info. I hadn’t thought about P&O. 

We recently booked a Hurtigruten roundtrip coastal cruise out of Bergen to see the Northern Lights.  They offer expedition voyages which are more like traditional cruises and cruises on their coastal ferry boats.  We chose the coastal ferry just for the adventure of it.  For cruises after October 1, they even offer a Northern Lights Guarantee.

There are some good Hurtigruten videos on YouTube.

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We recently booked a Hurtigruten roundtrip coastal cruise out of Bergen to see the Northern Lights.  They offer expedition voyages which are more like traditional cruises and cruises on their coastal ferry boats.  We chose the coastal ferry just for the adventure of it.  For cruises after October 1, they even offer a Northern Lights Guarantee.

There are some good Hurtigruten videos on YouTube.

That Northern Lights Guarantee could be important.  Solar Cycle 25, lasting through 2030, is predicted to short on the types of solar activity that causes auroras.

6 hours ago, Haboob said:

That Northern Lights Guarantee could be important.  Solar Cycle 25, lasting through 2030, is predicted to short on the types of solar activity that causes auroras.

It reflects their confidence in seeing the northern lights. If you don't see the northern lights, they'll give you another cruise.  I read several threads on the Hurtigruten board to get a feel for what the coastal cruises were like and also watched several videos on YouTube.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hubby and I also want to see the Northern Lights in October 2022 - sure hope Princess offer this cruise.  I will also have a look at P & O UK.  Anyone have any ideas when Princess will release the October 2022 sailings??  Think I’ll be waiting for a while though. 😞 

Vicki.

• Like 1