ms Nieuw Amsterdam in Port Everglades ecember 14, 2019

Scrapnana

3 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

You are forgiven :). I guess I should have asked if you had the name wrong. I'm guessing there is a shipyard in Newport that can repair the azipod? But if that's the case, it doesn't sound good for next Saturday's sailing!

I am sure HAL will do their best to get the repair done and get her back in service. Here is hoping!

10 minutes ago, Himself said:

I am sure HAL will do their best to get the repair done and get her back in service. Here is hoping!

Perhaps, but getting up to Newport with a single azipod has to take a few days, plus the repair time and getting back. Seems like five days is very unlikely. Unless we're talking about a Newport that's not in Rhode Island. Did you mean Freeport :).

PS where do you see the itinerary? I found the information page but don't see the next port listed.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:270203/mmsi:246648000/imo:9378450/vessel:NIEUW_AMSTERDAM

Edited by MisterBill99

3 hours ago, Arubababe52 said:

There’s a Newport News, VA

Good point, and when I Googled Nieuw Amsterdam Newport News, I discovered that a much earlier generation of the ship did actually have some work there (maybe even built there)? Still, I doubt they're going to be comfortable enough on Tuesday afternoon to say that the cruise on Saturday is a go if it is going anywhere for work.

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I'm sure they have plenty more seats on flights out of FLL than for just people departing cruise ships. Same for hotels, plus you're ignoring that people might have arrived for flights tomorrow or Tuesday. In any event, Monday would be better for flying than Sunday.

Plenty more seats?  Enough for the 2000 passengers on NAM?  

3 minutes ago, Himself said:

I just went to the Marine traffic and it says Destination is USPEF.  What does it mean?

USPEF is Port Everglades.  I suspect it means some complications have come up and they may not be going to Newport News after all.

Roy

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

USPEF is Port Everglades.  I suspect it means some complications have come up and they may not be going to Newport News after all.

Or maybe they're waiting to see if they can get approval to sail with one azipod so they don't have to cancel their holiday sailings, which would be expensive for them (holiday pricing) and especially disappointing for guests.

Edited by MisterBill99

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Good point, and when I Googled Nieuw Amsterdam Newport News, I discovered that a much earlier generation of the ship did actually have some work there (maybe even built there)? Still, I doubt they're going to be comfortable enough on Tuesday afternoon to say that the cruise on Saturday is a go if it is going anywhere for work.

The Nieuw Amsterdam 3 was built in St. Nazaire in France in the early 1980's . Newport News Shipbuilding was used as a maintenance shipyard. The fleet HAL had during the late 70's and 80's was dry-docked there when on the east coast. On the west coast they used Northwest Marine and Ironworks in Portland and in the Far East Sembawang Shipyard in Singapore.

6 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

The Nieuw Amsterdam 3 was built in St. Nazaire in France in the early 1980's . Newport News Shipbuilding was used as a maintenance shipyard. The fleet HAL had during the late 70's and 80's was dry-docked there when on the east coast. On the west coast they used Northwest Marine and Ironworks in Portland and in the Far East Sembawang Shipyard in Singapore.

Actually what I found was referring to the 1931 version and it was apparently some sort of lawsuit regarding building something similar in Newport News. That ship had been built in The Netherlands.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ko31qWLiEXUC&pg=PA613&lpg=PA613&dq=nieuw+amsterdam+newport+news&source=bl&ots=TYoyBFyOCG&sig=ACfU3U0t9b79rUg-5k-ezSgOgbBfeQU8cA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPvuCHxLnmAhWabs0KHav8AmIQ6AEwDXoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=nieuw amsterdam newport news&f=false

I went to the link to the Ft. Lauderdale web cam.   If you look at the bottom it says" Show Marine Traffic Map and Twitter feed". I clicked on there and found the NA in Port Everglades. I clicked there and on the Nieuw Amsterdam just now and it showed "Destination: USPEF."  I don't know what it means nut that is what it showed. I also noticed that the gangway off the ship is still up.so they might still be disembarking passengers.  

3 hours ago, Himself said:

I went to the link to the Ft. Lauderdale web cam.   If you look at the bottom it says" Show Marine Traffic Map and Twitter feed". I clicked on there and found the NA in Port Everglades. I clicked there and on the Nieuw Amsterdam just now and it showed "Destination: USPEF."  I don't know what it means nut that is what it showed. I also noticed that the gangway off the ship is still up.so they might still be disembarking passengers.  

Google "USPEF".

3 hours ago, Himself said:

USPEF = United States Port Everglades, Father

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

She's going to Freeport, Bahamas and more specifically, the Grand Bahama Shipyard there

Friend John:  Have you  "inside information?"  I usually find your posts on these matters to be quite accurate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2