Hotel Bucintoro in Venice

Vineyard View

I have been researching hotels, again, in Venice for our trip in May. I thought I had it figured out based on some great input from a post a few months ago. Turns out we won’t have as much time in Venice as I had hoped due to flight costs. We will have two nights, but truly only one full day pre-cruise, plus a turn around day mid cruise. The initial hotel I was booking turns out to be further from the areas we want to re-explore   

I found Hotel Bucintoro at a reasonable price with a canal/lagoon view that looks to be close enough yet far away enough from the crowds with what sounds like fairly easy transport of luggage access. I am wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to stay here and if so their thoughts?  Thank you. 

I have not stayed at Hotel Bucintoro, but if you were still considering the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo, I just mapped the walking distance to St. Marks Basilica (as a central point) and the Palazzo Sant'Angelo is actually closer (11 vs. 14 minutes walk). And unless you are planning on taking a private water taxi, the Bucintoro would be less convenient as you'd have a walk of at least 150 yards including a bridge to be crossed with your luggage, as opposed to a very short (20 yard?) flat walk to Sant'Angelo.

That said, Bucintoro looks to be in a nice area near Arsenale. Not sure how much is going on thereabouts in the evening, but there is a lively area between Arsenale and St. Marks with a number of restaurants.

I have looked throughout the neighborhoods on TA, and is where I found Bucintoro. I found that the area I chose requires mostly three nights and we have only two, so I spread out to other areas and looked to the point of confusion! After cruisemom42  pointed out to me previously, ease of transferring luggage became a piece I tried to determine as well.  Venice is tough. 

I circled back to Palazza Sant’Angelo last week (thank you again for that recommendation cruisemom42) and some rooms did open up since my original inquire when none were available. They came back with higher prices than I had targeted, which prompted me to research again. Your knowledge about the ease of luggage transfer and the property here is valuable. I did not realize that the area was not that far from St Marks as it looks further visually. Comments on the reviews for Bucintoro suggested an easy and quick walk but either of those times would be okay. The neighborhood/restaurants surrounding the hotel would be more important if distance was comparable - so again your point.  

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

I have looked throughout the neighborhoods on TA, and is where I found Bucintoro. I found that the area I chose requires mostly three nights and we have only two, so I spread out to other areas and looked to the point of confusion! After cruisemom42  pointed out to me previously, ease of transferring luggage became a piece I tried to determine as well.  Venice is tough. 

I circled back to Palazza Sant’Angelo last week (thank you again for that recommendation cruisemom42) and some rooms did open up since my original inquire when none were available. They came back with higher prices than I had targeted, which prompted me to research again. Your knowledge about the ease of luggage transfer and the property here is valuable. I did not realize that the area was not that far from St Marks as it looks further visually. Comments on the reviews for Bucintoro suggested an easy and quick walk but either of those times would be okay. The neighborhood/restaurants surrounding the hotel would be more important if distance was comparable - so again your point.  

Yes, Venice is among the most challenging (for the detail obsessed like myself) because of the number of things to consider.

Many people don't realize how close things are if you take a path through the streets/canals rather than walking along the edge of the Grand Canal. Shortest distance between two points, and all that. We found it pretty easy to walk from Palazzo Sant'Angelo to Piazza San Marco and only got lost once (when returning home in the dark).

I'd say the distance differential between the two hotels is negligible. The hassle factor with luggage means you either have to deal with a more unpleasant walk to your hotel (Bucintoro) or pay for a water taxi which would eat into some of your savings from booking the other hotel.

One thought: sometimes you can get a preferential price if you join their hotel club (Sina Hotels) -- that might make the Sant'Angelo more palatable.

We’ve had good luck with the BestWestern Bisanzio and the Ala. Both are easily accessed by both the alilaguna and Vaporettos.   Both are in great areas for sight seeing.  The Bisanzio is towards the Arsenal’s area and near a lot of nice restaurants.  Both are relatively close to San Marco and easy to deal with luggage.  So something else to check.   

Thank you cruisemom42. That idea about signing up for their program completed skipped my brain so I just did that and will see how the results look. I think part of the charm of Venice is getting lost by wandering the off beaten alleys!  

Thank you Bennybear. I am not familiar with those two properties and will certainly take a look! 

One of the BIG attractions of Bucintoro is the view - and there is a corner deluxe room available. Also the quietness. On the other hand staying on the Grand Canal away from St Marks must be a great experience and energy. 

I have not stayed at the Hotel Bucintoro as my son and I were booked to stay there 2 weeks after I had a bad accident and fractured my leg really badly so we had to cancel our trip to Italy.  Of all of the hotels that we had to cancel, the Hotel Bucintoro was the best.  They gave us the option to rebook at a later date and use the amount we had already paid towards a new reservation.  Some of the others did not.  Very nice people.