On QM2 now (December 15-22)

MarkBearSF

I'm a happy boy. 
I'm on the QM2 (which is enough) but ALSO

• it's a westbound crossing 
  • there are bumpy seas
  • Chris Wells is the captain
  • we're in Queen's Grill (first time in 20 years)
  • Osman is the Maitre d' (I had heard so many raves here, and even based upon one meal, I can see he's special)

If anybody has any questions or things you want me to check-out let me know.
On onee topic that came up recently - we currently have the little bottles of shampoo etc and bar soap (besides gel). And the slender Cunard pens. 

• Like 3

A couple questions about the Christmas decorations, if I may. Mrs. bluemarble would like to know if the Wind in the Willows characters are arranged around the base of the Christmas tree in the grand lobby this year. That was one of her favorite parts of the Christmas decorations when we were on QM2 for the Christmas voyage several years ago. And it would be great to hear or see details about this year's gingerbread village.

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

And it would be great to hear or see details about this year's gingerbread village.

Thank you for the Wind in the Willows reference. I knew that the characters seemed familiar, but I wasn't sure why. (And yes, they are holding court in the Grand Lobby)  I haven't seen the gingerbread village yet, but I haven't been all around the ship at this point - and if not present now, they may appear later. I'll keep my eyes out.

...and this is a perfect opportunity to wish everyone here Happy Holidays!

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

Thank you for the Wind in the Willows reference. I knew that the characters seemed familiar, but I wasn't sure why. (And yes, they are holding court in the Grand Lobby)  I haven't seen the gingerbread village yet, but I haven't been all around the ship at this point - and if not present now, they may appear later. I'll keep my eyes out.

...and this is a perfect opportunity to wish everyone here Happy Holidays!

Thanks, and happy holidays to you as well. Enjoy your voyage!

Question...

As I mentioned, this is our first time in QG on this ship (last time was 20 years ago on the QE2) - I had heard that a complimentary lunch in the Veranda Steakhouse is included. And then someone mentioned that they're "saving trees" by not printing vouchers. 

We have not received vouchers yet. I mentioned it at our table of watercolorists this afternoon and someone mentioned that this is only AFTER our first QG voyage.

Can anyone verify that this last comment is correct. (that the first trip doesn't get one - which seems silly to me, but then lots of policies in so many circumstances do)

Obviously, if there is any uncertainty by tomorrow, I'll ask my cabin steward (I was planning on doing it for my birthday on Thursday) - but I'd rather avoid sounding pushy if we're not entitled to one.

Edited by MarkBearSF

The free lunch has nothing to do with QG. Its a Diamond perk.

On QE in October, vouchers were still being issued, but it was reported that it is now paperless. Last year when we did a round trip, we actually forget to book the Steakhouse in the first week, but did in the second. However, I did read here that on round trips this year, you only get one free lunch.

I mentioned the Gingerbread Village today at the LGBT get-together and someone replied that he took a galley tour on the preceding crossing and he saw the makings being baked and decorated (and he said that what he saw looked fabulous.). The guide mentioned that it was still being created and would appear later.

On another note - I forgot to mention that the hot canapés have reappeared! We've eaten them in the Commodore Club, the Chart Room, and the Grills Lounge thus far.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JT1101 said:

I'm Gold tier and got the complimentary Verandah letter (was on board Dec 8-15). 

Is it possible you booked under the terms of a promotion that provides "Alternative Dining Credit: Offer includes up to $100 dining credit per stateroom to be used at The Verandah restaurant..."? Those promotions appear in the US from time-to-time. Or did your letter specifically mention you were entitled to a complimentary lunch at the Verandah because of your Gold status? If the latter, that would be something new and is not yet stated in any of the Cunard World Club benefits that I can find online.

• Like 1

Just now, JT1101 said:

Interestingly it was addressed specifically to me and entitled myself and one companion to dine (either lunch or dinner) in Verandah compliments of Cunard. 

OK, thanks. That does sound like you received something different than the Cunard World Club (Diamond level) benefit which is either a complimentary lunch at the Verandah or a complimentary dinner at the Alternative Dining venue in the Kings Court/Lido.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GMCOLT said:

Is there a way to e mail the ship. I am bringng a model QM2 to give to the captain on January 3rd. My sister will be doing her first cruise and I will be taking her to the ship.

Mike

How spectacular!  I'll ask and report back.

• Like 1

Ref Corkage charge:

Mark, a poster on another forum is reporting that the 'Corkage Charge'  on Queen Elizabeth  has just (yesterday) been increased to $28 ( from $25)

When you have, time can you ask your Sommelier if this increase is 'across the fleet' or, only for the QE whilst deployed in Australia. The poster believes this increase is only whilst the QE is deployed over seas ?

Many Thanks .