Cruising In and Out of Venice, Italy

Wine-O

There's been a lot of talk about moving large ships out of docking in Venice.  I've noticed that all of Celebrity Constellation's cruises that are scheduled to either embark or debark out of Venice has been closed.  Could it be possible Constellation falls into that "large ship" category so cruises in and out of Venice would have to dock at a nearby commercial port and passengers being shuttled/boated to/from the cruise terminal in Venice.  Have they closed the Summer 2020 cruises trying to work out a plan?  Just curious if anyone has any knowledge, and where the closest commercial port would be located.  🍷

I don’t think that is the issue for the Constellation. There is a thread on the Celebrity forum that indicates that the capacity of some cabins will change after the refurbishment, so Celebrity has locked all bookings until they have the current cabin reservations sorted out.

My reservations changed from a booked cabin on a b2b sailing to a Guarantee, and this morning I received a new invoice with my original cabin number on it.

Edited by CruiserMickey

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just a little ways down the board:

And there´s still no proof that this will happen... There haven´t been any signs of work so far and they need to dredge the Vittorio Emanuele III Channel to dept of 9 meters for cruise ships. Currently there is no larger cruise ship than 96K BRT going to Venice anyway (and that´s for years now).

The above plan dates from 2017 and nothing, absolutely nothing has happened since...

steamboats

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

We just booked Connie for 10/22/2020 cruise out of Venice so what ever closed the sailings is apparently resolved.

The situation with the Port of Venice is far from resolved and will be an ongoing issue for many years.  But the Connie (at only about 90,000 tons) should not be a problem next year.  You need to understand that the large ship issue at Venice has been going on for more then a decade...and we are talking about Italy which likely means it will still be an issue when my latest Grandchild (8 months old) reaches adulthood.

Hank

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The situation with the Port of Venice is far from resolved and will be an ongoing issue for many years.  But the Connie (at only about 90,000 tons) should not be a problem next year.  You need to understand that the large ship issue at Venice has been going on for more then a decade...and we are talking about Italy which likely means it will still be an issue when my latest Grandchild (8 months old) reaches adulthood.

Hank

I do understand that, I just meant that sailings on Constellation were open again.