Question regarding trains and luggage

klfrodo

There will be 3 of us. A 16 yo granddaughter and grandma and grandpa. We are doing 5 weeks total. The last 2 weeks on a cruise out of Barcelona.

To my question. We will be taking a TGV train from Gare Montparnasse to Nantes to visit some friends. We will have a lot of luggage. Here in the States, I’ve checked luggage. I’m talking at least 5 pieces. What are my options or what am I looking at with 5 pieces of luggage on a TGV train?

Carrying luggage on European trains can be a challenge.  Be prepared to handle all of your own luggage, and always keep your luggage close at hand or it might "disappear."  On the trains (including TGV) there is usually a small rack above the seats that can hold smaller carry-on stuff.  But larger luggage will often need to be left at small areas located at the end of most cars.  It is not uncommon for luggage thieves to work some train lines in Europe and they are good.  One technique is that they would snatch luggage as a train reaches a station and immediately run off the train.  This is not normal, but it does happen.  We carry a small portable luggage cable lock (similar to a lightweight retractable bicycle lock) which we use on trains.  We thread the cable between the handles or our luggage and secure it to something on the train at the luggage storage area.  This prevents anyone from simply snatching and running off with our luggage.  They sell various types of luggage cable locks on some travel sites and other major sites such as Amazon.  4 foot cables are a very common size.

Hank

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Carrying luggage on European trains can be a challenge.  Be prepared to handle all of your own luggage, and always keep your luggage close at hand or it might "disappear."  On the trains (including TGV) there is usually a small rack above the seats that can hold smaller carry-on stuff.  But larger luggage will often need to be left at small areas located at the end of most cars.  It is not uncommon for luggage thieves to work some train lines in Europe and they are good.  One technique is that they would snatch luggage as a train reaches a station and immediately run off the train.  This is not normal, but it does happen.  We carry a small portable luggage cable lock (similar to a lightweight retractable bicycle lock) which we use on trains.  We thread the cable between the handles or our luggage and secure it to something on the train at the luggage storage area.  This prevents anyone from simply snatching and running off with our luggage.  They sell various types of luggage cable locks on some travel sites and other major sites such as Amazon.  4 foot cables are a very common size.

Hank

Thanks for the advice hank

12 hours ago, Lutèce said:

When are you going to be travelling on the TGV? I don't know if you are aware, but France is now into its third week of transport strikes which of course affect rail travel. 

Hi Lutece. I am 76 mobility using a walker, traveling solo. Debarking Kiel Germany on May 2, 2020. Plan to firm up my itinerary

by booking hotels and plane requirements in January. Wanted to spend 4 days Holiday Inn CDG. Staying in this location seemed to make sense to me because of my mobility. Taking the metro into Paris and Disney seemed like a good plan. If the strikes continue until Spring would buses be an option from this location. Working with a limited budget need to purchase airfare back home to Florida no later than the beginning of February.  Any tips would be appreciated. Should I strike Paris off and do London instead? Have been to both cities in the past another city suggestion as long as I can book TAP or Norwegian for return

Since Skings brought up the "strike" issue that is something we can discuss.  Strikes, labor stoppages and even blockades are certainly part of the French culture.  The current situation vis-à-vis President Macron and his so-called pension reforms have caused a substantial number of the French to be quite upset.  I suspect that the underlying issues are not going to be resolved in the near future, so there are likely to be some periodic labor stoppages, strikes, etc.  But this does not happen every day and those of us who routinely travel in France understand it is the way it is.  You just have to hope that your timing is good, and if not, you may have to explore other options.  If the Metro is not running there is also a good chance the buses may not be running and a Metro shut down will strain every other form of transportation.  I am not sure of the wisdom of staying out near CDG as dealing with the Metro (and RER) can involve its own challenges for those with mobility issues.  I would think that a hotel (with elevators) more centrally located with be advantageous. 

Should one change future plans based on the French labor issues?  DW and I are planning another extended visit to Paris next year and would not even consider changing our plans because of the possibility of a strike.  My goodness, you could go anywhere in Western Europe and run into a strike or labor stoppage.  It is wise to be aware, but trying to gauge a future trip on current problems is not usually a good strategy.  We just saw this kind of thing on a European trip when a few cruisers cancelled their trips because they feared the demonstrations in Barcelona.  When we were in Barcelona a few weeks ago there was no sign of any demonstration other then some remaining graffiti.  Those folks who cancelled their trip (and apparently lost money doing so) probably felt a little stupid once they realized that there were no problems on the days they would have been in Barcelona.

Hank 

Thanks Hank, the reasoning behind my staying near CDG is due to handling luggage plus a walker. I will be arriving at CDG and only staying 3 nights before flying out. Seems to make sense not carting  my belongings through Paris metro.   I do know  "stuff" can happen anywhere, but with my age and traveling solo want to try and avoid issues where I can. I just might keep the Paris itinerary and hope for the best. Have a few weeks before decision time.

Klfrodo, you said:

What are my options or what am I looking at with 5 pieces of luggage on a TGV train?

Are you including hand luggage in the "five pieces" or are you planning on five pieces of hold size larger suitcases plus hand luggage?

If three of you are planning five larger suitcases plus hand luggage you will find it very difficult to move around on your travels especially if using public transport and cabs. And regular cabs won't be able to take 3 adults plus all that luggage. You would need to reserve larger vehicles in advance or take two instead.

And will you have two cabins on the cruise part of the trip or only one? If only one, trying to store that amount of luggage could be very challenging.

Just a thought, but I would suggest you each take no more than one suitcase and one carry on size bag.

Yes, you pack less and wear the same clothing more often, but with laundry facilities available it shouldn't be a problem and the logistics would be much easier.

17 hours ago, skings said:

Thanks Hank, the reasoning behind my staying near CDG is due to handling luggage plus a walker. I will be arriving at CDG and only staying 3 nights before flying out. Seems to make sense not carting  my belongings through Paris metro.   I do know  "stuff" can happen anywhere, but with my age and traveling solo want to try and avoid issues where I can. I just might keep the Paris itinerary and hope for the best. Have a few weeks before decision time.

Oh My.  I do not like carting luggage through the Metro...and we are in good health with no mobility issues.  I cannot imagine handling luggage and a walker.  Hope you have a few wonderful days in Paris.  It remains DW's favorite city in the world.

Hank

There are a number of firms which handle luggage / golf clubs and similar items to and from cruises.

Some cruise lines have preferred valet services, there are several threads here on cruise critic and the internet to ship luggage to cruise line