After Final Payment

wasup254

We are hearing that the cruise we are booked on is sailing "lite",so to speak. That some people are waiting for after Final payment, to book the cruise, wehn there might be a sale or two prior to the bon vogage.

Has anyone canceled their booking to hopefully take advantage of a lower rate? If you did, was the outcome a good one?

Or did you simply work with the TA or the cruise line and see if you could get an adjustment to the cost after Final payment?

We are just not sure what to do and final is nearing

Thanks

Marlene

Usually they will give you an adjustment in the form of ship board credit for cocktails and such. Keep an eye out.

when they have one day sales, it usually excludes folks who have already purchased, and you are not allowed to cancel and rebook to get the lower fare.

Just keep a look-out for the sales, and hope you qualify.

I would recommend that you call your TA and explain what you've heard and ask the TA to find out what the policy is for the cruise line. It really varies by cruise line so rather than speculating on what they would do, I recommend that you have the TA get the facts for you.

Keith

What you get, if anything, if the cruise fare goes down after final payment varies with cruise line. RCCL is pretty good at giving you the difference as a refund or on-board credit except in the case of "happy hour" sales that exempt previous purchases. Carnival is not as good, but sometimes will give you something. I am not sure about other lines.

A knowledgable poster on the Princess boards has mentioned that if you have a booking on a particular Princess sailing, cancel, and then later want to take advantage of a flash sale that is specific to 'new bookings only' that your previously cancelled booking prevents you from getting the special rate on that sailing. Even if you cancelled months before the special was available.

It really does depend on each cruiseline's policy, so make sure whatever promise you get is in writing.

Keep an eye on the price of the cruise. If the price drops call your travel agent and ask them to get you a price adjustment. We are sailing on Celebrity on March 9th and had already made final payment. By checking with expedia & travelocity I found out the price dropped. I sent my ta and email and the next day she emailed me back. I just got a credit to my credit card for $940. It's time to book another cruise with my windfall.

Suzanne

What you get, if anything, if the cruise fare goes down after final payment varies with cruise line. RCCL is pretty good at giving you the difference as a refund or on-board credit except in the case of "happy hour" sales that exempt previous purchases. Carnival is not as good, but sometimes will give you something. I am not sure about other lines.[/quote]

I do not believe that is completly true. As my TA and the Carnival book both say that Carnival garentees the lost price. My TA told me that if the price drops at all after I book or after final payment they will refund the difference. She has already gave me a $70 refund and the price only dropped $10 per person. I was hoping for it to drop more but looked today and it looks like the cruise price has gone up $100 per person. I guess we should be thankful for the $70. We booked 18 months out.

Julia, you may be misunderstanding that Carnival Price guarantee. Carnival guarantees that you will not have to pay any INCREASE in prices after you book. They do not guarantee that they will reduce your fare if they drop prices lower than what you booked for. In reality, up until final payment (70-90 days before cruising) every cruiseline will reduce your price if you ask simply because you could just cancel and rebook at the new, lower price. If your TA guarantees that you will get any price drop after final payment, then that is her guarantee to you, not the cruiseline.

I confirmed with TA and she said that after final payment she will give us an on board credit for the difference. However if it drops before final payment Carnival will refund, give onboard credit or give upgrade with the difference. She asked what we would want and I told her the on board credit.

Thanks again!

Archived