Escape Has An Empty Haven?

Georgia_Peaches

Seeking thoughts and opinions... like many cruisers, I watch the prices of all cabin categories for ships and sailings I'm interested in so that I can maybe learn trends and better understand pricing.  Once I'm booked, I then watch pricing on cabin categories and possibly change categories in the event of a price drop.  I am currently booked in an H5 on Escape and we are just 8 weeks from embarkation.  Currently, only 35 of the 95 Haven rooms have bookings...or at least are showing as booked.  And the prices for each category have increased with the Black Friday and other holiday promotions NCL has had since November.  While I know the Haven won't sail empty and will likely be filled through the bidding process, I am wondering a couple of things and hope that some more experienced with NCL can shed some light:

1.  What would the marketing rationale be for NCL to increase prices for sailings that are beyond final payment AND majority empty (in Haven) rather than majority full?

It seems counter intuitive in that I would imagine that the closer you get to sail date, the lower the price would become in order to fill the ship.

2.  As my upcoming cruise is not considered peak season, but on the cusp of the Spring Break, is it possible that the ship will sail without being at full capacity, or will NCL drop prices at some point to entice last minute bookings?

3.  I've noticed that some non-Haven categories have dropped in price while Haven categories have increased.  Is this typical?

I am happy with my H5 category but will switch to an aft penthouse if the price drops enough to either match my current category or is in close enough range to where I'd be willing pay a little more.  

Thanks in Advance!!

Some people get upset when Haven prices drop after final payment ("I paid too much, grrrrr").

In your case, Haven prices are going up. If the Haven has fewer people, that's great. The better the guest to staff ratio is, the better the Haven will be.

If non-Haven prices drop, more people will jump on those prices. Fuller ship with a more empty Haven is ideal. Obviously, some will bid to get into the Haven for a lower price than what NCL is currently asking and that's great for the new Haven-by-bid guests.

In my experience, H6 prices are usually lower than H5 prices so you might be able to move to the H6 without paying more than you've already paid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruzn Bills Fan said:

If you're talking about the 8 Feb cruise this makes me happy.

Actually, I'm talking about the Feb 29th cruise.  However, your sailing may be similar.  I'm told that one of the least expensive months to cruise is February due to lack of any major school holidays.

• Like 1

Cusp of spring break means that it's still a good time away. There's plenty of time to ask for time off of work and I can still manage to snag a deal on a flight and a hotel.

If NCL were to start slashing prices now, all they would be doing is training their customers to book 90 days out instead of a year.

8 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Once you hit 60 days and with the new Jan promos getting rid of the higher prices that went in place pre black friday you will see drop in Haven prices

Can't wait til the get rid of these ridiculous "sales" 4 current bookings outside PIF and not 1 was cheaper with the "sales" 

7 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Actually, I'm talking about the Feb 29th cruise.  However, your sailing may be similar.  I'm told that one of the least expensive months to cruise is February due to lack of any major school holidays.

Actually The month of February includes President Day and many if not most schools in the northeast are closed for an entire week and the cruise lines always jack the price up for that week. FYI, if you don’t want to sail with thousands of children AVOID Presidents week. Last year we sailed with over 2000 kids on the Escape that week. ThNk God for the Vibe Beach Club!!

• Like 1

I'm sailing in February also. Different date.  Same story with Haven not fully booked. 

My theory:  Prices are jacked up before Christmas as cruises may be given as Christmas gifts.   It will be interesting to see how prices move after Christmas.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Twipenne said:

Cusp of spring break means that it's still a good time away. There's plenty of time to ask for time off of work and I can still manage to snag a deal on a flight and a hotel.

If NCL were to start slashing prices now, all they would be doing is training their customers to book 90 days out instead of a year.

True, we are about 9 weeks out from embarkation and a lot can happen in that amount of time.  I was just a little surprised at how empty the Haven is currently.  Agree, prices will likely fall after the holidays and as we get closer to the embarkation date. Hope you can snag a good deal!  

• Like 1