Falkland Islands Booked Up so other Penguin Tour Suggestions?

RMurp007

If Punta Arenas, Chile is on your itinerary, go to Isla Magdalena to see an entire island (which has a walking path around it) of over 100,000 Magellanic penguins during the breeding season.  Most likely your ship will have an excursion or you can find independent excursions. 

Have you contacted both Estansia and Patrick Watts out of Stanley?   The top choice is Volunteer Point.   Gypsy Cove,  frankly is lacking in my opinion.  

Puerto Madryn-   highlight is Punta Tombo.    There is the opportunity for walk up as vendors are at the port gate.   Valdez Peninsula also sees penguins.    Magellanic penguins are what's seen in Chile and Argentina.    Falkland, has the additional opportunity for Gentoo, Kings, and Rockhoppers. 

On 12/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, capriccio said:

If Punta Arenas, Chile is on your itinerary, go to Isla Magdalena to see an entire island (which has a walking path around it) of over 100,000 Magellanic penguins during the breeding season.  Most likely your ship will have an excursion or you can find independent excursions. 

Teacherman what ship are you on in January?  We are on Celebrity on the 19th and are looking in to getting a tour in Puerto Madryn.  Going to google that company right now!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 5:11 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Check out this website about the shuttle bus to the Gypsy Cove penguin colony in the Falklands https://www.penguintravel-falklands.com/gypsy-cove-shuttle.php

But you can't get close to the penguins in Gypsy Cove.  They are far below you on the beach.  We took an independent tour to Bertha's Cove and Gypsy Cove.  You can get right up to the Gentoo penguins at Bertha's Cove.  A friend took a HAL tour to  Bluff Cove and said they had King penguins.  Have you tried independent tours?  Patrick  Watts is probably booked.  There were, however, several other available guides as you disembark.

I am booked with these guys next season http://www.falklandshelicopterservices.com, they do a 20 minute flight to Volunteer Point which gives you a guided experience including an hour and a half there.  The first time I went to the Falklands I went overland and spent what seemed like all day being bumped around and didn’t actually get much longer at the penguins.  Their prices are comparable with the cost of an onboard excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

I did south america a couple years ago with Holland America and went on a HAL shore excursion to see Pengiuns on Falkland.

and in Punta Arenas Chile I did a shore excursion with soloexpediciones.com to Magdalena island. there were a lot of penguins (make sure it's not the last cruise of the season; in March they had plenty of penguins in April they have mostly migrated north).

back in 2014 HAL used the same company to offer their own shore excursion in the morning for the price X. in the aftenoon the company ran their independent tour for half the price (you had to take a taxi to their office in punta arenas; but even with just one person in the taxi the excursionwas way cheaper then HAL's)