Live from the Odyssey

fudge

Most grateful, and we are so enjoying your blog.

We are hoping to be on Odyssey in 12 month's time for a pre-Christmas cruise Barbados to Barbados.  We haven't been on Odyssey before so news is most welcome.  I guess nothing is perfect but hope they dealt well with your undercooked meat.

We're hoping for better seas, as I think (they never tell you in advance, do they?) we have a few tender ports.

Hope the rest goes well.

Mike and Anne

Day 12

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY FROM SUNNY ARUBA!

Of course last evening was a very special evening. We were invited to the hotel managers table. We had a six course meal which was outstanding. The service was very good, the food was delicious.

At 11 pm Seabourn held a New Year’s Eve party on the pool deck. Boy Seabourn know how to party!

The whirlpool was just full of champagne bottles, there were hot dogs and burgers handed out, the Seabourn singers and dancers were on good form.

The night sky in Aruba lit up with a spectacular firework display, the whole atmosphere was electric.

It’s a very quiet ship this morning, some thick heads maybe?

We stay in Aruba today leaving around 17.30 hrs.

This afternoon after lunch we took our first organized excursion. It was called Aruba by land and sea. It was a four hour excursion. The coach was very smart with the driver being the tour guide, young guy very knowledgeable, knew when to speak and when not to.

It started with a trip to a famous lighthouse built in 1916 after a ship sank off the coast. We then went on a semi submarine; you board off shore go below deck about five feet and looked at a wreck which was 60 feet down which sank about 79 years ago. There was plenty to see including some lovely sea life.

From there we went to a natural bridge on the coast which unfortunately partly collapsed in 2015, finally we visited a rock formation, we were back on board by 5pm, and Mr. Fudge drank the largest Gin and tonic you have seen in your life!!  

Tonight we spend our second evening in the TK grill, will report back on that one tomorrow.

Two more full days of merriment and joy, shame to leave the ship but hey ho another wonderful cruise with the Seabourn family.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:35 PM, fudge said:

Pet Hate!

So, we are relaxing in our suite, in fact we are taking a snooze. The telephone rings at 1745 hrs. , its Seabourn square, “excuse me would you like to join the linen manageress at dinner tonight” or the guy who peals the potatoes, or the 4th in line at the spa?  It’s so annoying to be 3rd or 4th in line to join the crew for dinner, Seabourn need to stop that forthwith!  Rant over, get back to enjoying ourselves.

I'd be interested in understanding your "Pet Hate".  I am reasonably sure the hosts of the hosted table are relatively high ranking crew members.  We have dined with the ship's doctor, comedian, lecturer and cruise director - never  "the guy who peals potatoes."  All have been great experiences.  I am also sure you can simply ask not to be invited to a hosted dinner. and they will honor that request.  
As for the timing, those late calls are likely due to someone  cancelling late  in the day and a desire to have a full table by offering it to others. Again, I am sure a "please do not invite us" would be honored.  

Edited by JPH814

Regarding hosted table invitations, if you don't want any invites at all,  just tell Seabourn Square at the start of the cruise.  It usually works well, though the odd one might slip by.  (Or don't answer the phone at 5.30 to 6 unless you are expecting a call from someone.)

We're very popular as a 'gap filler' as we like hosted tables and often do them!  I'm not worried... all the staff from entertainers to officers, to recruitment/training, guest speakers etc... they have to do so many hosted tables a week, it must be difficult to fill them!    However, when the phone goes we know what it's going to be.....

I think our highlight was dining with the Head of Waste Management 😂!!  It was every interesting actually....

Day 13        

Last evening the TK grill certainly lived up to its reputation. Mrs. Fudge Had the crab cake and a T bone lamb steak, Mr. Fudge had the crab cake followed by Lobster thermidore, and we shared the Lemon meringue. Very tasty meals indeed, no wonder we are complaining about our waist lines!

We retired to the club lounge and listened to the club trio who are very good entertainers.

We had a very smooth passage last night arriving at our next destination Kralendijk, Bonaire.

Bonaire is a quaint hub of commercial and cultural activity comprising of only a few blocks in size. While strolling along the streets you’ll notice well preserved architecture, waterfront eateries and a small yet bustling market, which should please Mrs. Fudge, she loves a bargain!!

We had a quiet stroll around the town for an hour, very clean place, lots of nice boutiques and cafes definitely not a bustling town.

We, (that’s the royal we by the way) have already started to pack, all our prizes and one or two bottles, just one or two mind, we are not greedy, just a reminder of the cruise when we have a toast back home.

Lunch in the Colonnade was a Latin affair, after which Mr. Fudge relaxed by the pool, Mrs. Fudge left the ship for some retail therapy.  

So this evening we have been invited to dine with Mindful living Coach Emily Beesly, that should be very interesting as we are breaking every rule in the book on this cruise!  Maybe she can persuade us to change our life styles, I very much doubt it.

Seabourn Square

The staff is just brilliant in Seabourn Square; the concept is something other cruise lines could benefit from. This morning we wanted to visit a donkey sanctuary and were asked to bring carrots. Within five minutes one of the staff produced three of the biggest carrots I have ever seen, all in a very smart Seabourn Bag.

BORING!

Three guesses who won the “name that tune competition??? “  Yep, the no balls snowballs team.

At 18.00 hrs. We left Bonaire for the long sail back to our starting position Barbados.

Day 14

ALL AT SEA!

After another lovely meal in the restaurant last evening, we watched the Seabourn singers and dancers put on a Latin show, they are very good indeed, we thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Today we will be bobbing around in the ocean enjoying our last champagne (or two).

The last day of our vacation, we have really enjoyed the cruise. I checked the itinerary for this time next year, a far better cruise itinerary. No sea days which suits us fine, and a day on Carambola beach on Christmas day, the BBQ, also 1000 dollars OBC which would make Mrs. Fudge very happy indeed.

And guess what? Mr. Fudge persuaded Mrs. Fudge that we should go ahead and book, so there it is, almost the same again next year, whoopee do.

We have had the departure luggage labels delivered to our suite so all will be packed by the end of today.

When we disembark in the morning we have booked into a beach resort for the day as we don’t fly until late evening, so a day to relax before the long flights home.

After lunch on the patio with the Seabourn singers its back to packing!

At 6pm we attended the Seabourn Signature event: Officers on deck, crew farewell party.  

Finally, thanks to all our readers, it’s been wonderful to know you all, happy cruising, safe and happy travels, catch you later.xx

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fudge said:

Day 14

ALL AT SEA!

After another lovely meal in the restaurant last evening, we watched the Seabourn singers and dancers put on a Latin show, they are very good indeed, we thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Today we will be bobbing around in the ocean enjoying our last champagne (or two).

The last day of our vacation, we have really enjoyed the cruise. I checked the itinerary for this time next year, a far better cruise itinerary. No sea days which suits us fine, and a day on Carambola beach on Christmas day, the BBQ, also 1000 dollars OBC which would make Mrs. Fudge very happy indeed.

And guess what? Mr. Fudge persuaded Mrs. Fudge that we should go ahead and book, so there it is, almost the same again next year, whoopee do.

We have had the departure luggage labels delivered to our suite so all will be packed by the end of today.

When we disembark in the morning we have booked into a beach resort for the day as we don’t fly until late evening, so a day to relax before the long flights home.

After lunch on the patio with the Seabourn singers its back to packing!

At 6pm we attended the Seabourn Signature event: Officers on deck, crew farewell party.  

Finally, thanks to all our readers, it’s been wonderful to know you all, happy cruising, safe and happy travels, catch you later.xx

Thanks for the excellent notes on your cruise. Thanks.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:10 PM, fudge said:

Day 12

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY FROM SUNNY ARUBA!

At 11 pm Seabourn held a New Year’s Eve party on the pool deck. Boy Seabourn know how to party!

The whirlpool was just full of champagne bottles, there were hot dogs and burgers handed out

Hotdogs and burgers handed out? Wow, they do know how to party...interesting choice of food for a NYE event. Hope everyone was black tie while enjoying hotdogs LOL!