29-Dec Cartagena, Colombia
30-Dec Santa Marta, Colombia
31-Dec Oranjestad, Aruba
1-Jan Oranjestad, Aruba
2-Jan Kralendijk, Bonaire
3-Jan At Sea
4-Jan Bridgetown, Barbados

Tip of the day:

When you receive your on line ref number, if you want the TK grill BOOK EARLY. I forgot and only booked two weeks ago, consequently I could only get a reservation for 18.00 hrs, no good to anyone. Thankfully Seabourn square managed to change it for us.

Day 1

We always wanted to do a Christmas/New Year cruise so why not?

After a long journey from our lovely Island of Cyprus we finally arrived on board the Odyssey.  We had a pleasant surprise on arrival at Barbados airport; they have finally moved into the 21st Century, advanced technology meant that there were over 60 self-check in kiosks, fantastic; we were out of the airport in less than 45 minutes after flying in on a huge boeing 747. No more fast track service!

On board at 18.00 hrs. after a warm welcome from the staff of the ship we are settled in our suite (633) which we are very happy with.  Our luggage arrived late so we ate on the pool deck Earth and Ocean; we both had the curry which was very nice indeed.

After a nightcap in the observation bar it was an early night.

Day 2

Mrs. Fudge ordered Mr. Fudge to grab two coffees from Seaborne Square as we both woke early; Mr. Fudge always does as he is told!

At 08.00 hrs. after a smooth overnight sail we arrived at our first destination, Port Elizabeth, Bequia. St. Vincent.  It will be a tender service today as the Island is so tiny measuring only 7 square miles, and only 6,000 inhabitants.

Lovely sunny day, we have done this type of cruise before, so we decided to stay on board for a relaxing day around the pool deck.

After unpacking last evening we have some ironing duties today, it never ends.

Activities:

There was a marine water sports day today however, it was cancelled the sea was a bit choppy. 

We had a fine lunch in the colonnade then back to relaxing around the pool. Because we missed the muster drill yesterday we had ours today.  Before our evening meal we went to the Captains welcome reception where he introduced senior crew members after which we ate in the main dining room, the food was delicious as ever.

• Like 1

Day 3

After another very smooth over night sail to our next destination we arrived at Trois-ilets Martinique. The anchor was deployed at 07.30; the sun is already shining brightly.

Trois –Ilets was the birthplace of Josephine who married Napoleon Bonaparte and became empress of the French. It is another tender day today so we will be leaving the ship for a visit to the Island. 

We had our first invite today to join one of the vocalists for dinner, looking forward to that.

Now there’s a first!

I cannot believe Mrs. Fudge was not banging at the door of the boutique last evening anxious to spend our on board credit, I don’t think she slept all night thinking about it!

Another first, we had three glasses of champagne between us with our breakfast today, oh well, we may as well carry on, we are on holiday after all.  The first of the Christmas decorations are up, a lovely gingerbread nativity scene with chocolate figurines outside the Colonnade and also at Seabourn square.

It was nice to leave the ship and stretch our legs on the Island. There is a lovely sandy beach and clear Blue sea if you need to relax. There is also a small shopping mall with boutiques, snack bars and restaurants.

We got back in time for champagne before a Chinese style lunch in the Colonnade.   

The environment:

Seabourn doing their bit for the environment.

Wooden stirrers, wooden spoons, bamboo straws, paper cups with paper tops, and reusable drinking cups.

Golfing competition: Mr. Fudge came second and won a passport holder, Tiger Woods eat your heart out!!

Seabourn decided to hold a block party at 6pm, it went down like a damp squib!  Fewer than 12 people came out.

7 hours ago, jdk-atlga said:

While we just got off the Ody on Saturday, assistant CD Beth returned. If you haven’t seen her one-person show, do so - it is well worth it.

We were on the Encore with Beth a couple of years ago

We thought we would be safe sitting in the front row with Beth singing which was a very good show

I became Silver Fox with Beth sitting on my knee ruffling my hair . Wife couldnt stop laughing

Not sitting in the front row again

Fudge

Thank you so much for taking the time to post while on vacation.

We board in less the four weeks for seven days so looking forward to your posts and observations.

- this will be our first Seabourn cruise.

If you have the chance and are one who posts photo's - would love to see a few sample dinner menu's and dailies.

Enjoy your time on board.

Bob

Day 4

Today we arrived at Falmouth (English Harbour) Antigua and Barbuda.

Falmouth Harbour and English Harbour are adjacent natural harbours on the extreme South of the Island of Antigua. They are popular harbours for visiting yachtsmen.

English harbour is so named because it was the base for the English Royal Navy in the 18th century.

There is a very heavy swell at present, the tender is firmly docked it looks unlikely we will be leaving the ship today!  Actually what do I know, the tender service is working!

Last evening the service in the MDR was very slow indeed, almost two hours between courses, apparently there were issues in the galley? On the bright side we went to the Grand Salon and listened to a fantastic violinist Jakub Trasac, a very talented musician indeed.  

Most of the passengers and the crew are truly in the festive spirit, lots of daft hats and jumpers; we have more fairy lights in our suite than Santa’s grotto!

We went ashore for a brief stroll to Nelsons Dockyard. Worth a visit, a 5 dollar entry fee, a very pretty dockyard with all its history. A few craft shops to browse and rum punch to refresh you.

The weather finally got the better of the tender service; operations were suspended from ship to shore at 13.30 hrs.

This evening’s pre dinner entertainment was Sir Tim Rice, a live concert style presentation narrated throughout by Tim Rice on screen, taking us on a musical journey through some of his most celebrated works. The Seabourn artists were just fantastic.

Tonight was our one and only reservation at the TK grill, Fantastic meal.

Day 5

Merry Christmas everybody or Happy holidays which ever you prefer?

At Sea.

Today we are sailing to the Dominican Republic, full day at sea however, Seabourn have plenty of activities to keep us busy. The sea is behaving itself at present but the weather looks poor for our arrival.

Santa came to our suite thankfully; I hope everyone got what they expected?

When we arrived back at our suite last evening our stewardess Anjalee had decked out the suite with Rose petals and the biggest plate of chocolates you have ever seen!

At breakfast you wouldn’t think it was Christmas day!  Honestly it takes some folks a challenge to even say good morning let alone Merry Christmas however, the crew are all very jolly.

The entertainers were dressed as elves and sang Christmas Carols on the way around the deck.

Before lunch we entered a trivia quiz, team Santa came second. Today’s lunch was a galley affair, a lovely buffet style lunch with every variety you could wish for.

The highlight of the day if you can call it that was the “name the tune” quiz. Mrs. Fudge was outstanding, she knew 90 percent of the tunes and artists, and consequently we came joint first.

Tonight was our first formal dining night so it was out with the DJ an best frock for Mrs. Fudge.

Mrs. Fudge had lobster Bisque, Turkey and Christmas pudding, Mr. Fudge had the crab cake and the slow baked lamb shank, delicious.

Day 6

After a long sail we arrived in Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic, we docked this morning so no tender for a nice change. We are here for almost two days so plenty of time to explore.

We left the ship for the so called tourist center, to be honest it was not much to write home about, very tatty and grubby, we had a decent walk though. Alternatively there is a “high end” shopping mall for all you rich folks out there!

Mrs. Fudge managed to spend some, not all of our OBC; I can assure you it WILL all go by the end of the cruise.

Of course there are plenty of excursions on offer so if you plan ahead you won’t be disappointed.   There are six excursions to choose from, anything from 89 dollars to 169 dollars. A National Park tour, a chocolate making experience, a classic car drive, or the history of Santa Domingo.

We had a relaxing day on the ship unfortunately we are docked right next to a very busy highway so it’s very noisy indeed however, after champagne suddenly the noise disappears!

On New Year’s Eve we have been invited to sit with the Hotel Manager, for dinner, Mrs. Fudge said “if you think we are dining with the crew” think again!

This evening we ate in the Patio, the crew are very friendly on there. It’s a good job I like lamb; I had the same as last evening the lamb shank which was equally delicious.

Day 7

We are now into day seven of the cruise and its beginning to tell on our waist line! The over indulgence is finally catching up with us. Although we gave breakfast a miss we made up for it at lunch time.

At 14.00 hrs. we left the Dominican Republic to the sounds of the Seabourn entertainers sail away party en route to Columbia. Quite a long sail until we reach our next destination, but thankfully the sea is calm.

We have booked a very spicy curry tonight with a head chef so that’s something to look forward to.

The sun is still shining brightly, the champagne is still flowing what’s not to like? We had our first dip in the pool today very refreshing indeed; the crew invited us for a Strawberry Pina Colada.

Just finished dinner the curry was outstanding. The ship is a bit rocky this evening but not uncomfortable.

Day at sea tomorrow let’s see what that brings, apparently a caviar and champagne around the pool awaits, that will please Mrs. Fudge!

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates fudge. It helps allay the post cruise blues until we next get onboard. We found Odyssey excellent when we sailed her last July.

I agree though those extra kilos just sneak up on you even when skipping breakfast or trying to be careful re dessert or no bread rolls.

Julie

Fudge - thank you for your postings and information regarding your sailing. Since we board the Odyssey in 3 weeks - a quick question if I may. Diary alternatives at Seabourn square (coffee station) and at the buffet area for those with a milk intolerance. Usually see soy or almond milk - by chance oat milk? which seems to be all the rage now (myself included) here in the states.

Thank you!

Bob

Day 7

We are now into day seven of the cruise and its beginning to tell on our waist line! The over indulgence is finally catching up with us. Although we gave breakfast a miss we made up for it at lunch time.

At 14.00 hrs. we left the Dominican Republic to the sounds of the Seabourn entertainers sail away party en route to Columbia. Quite a long sail until we reach our next destination, but thankfully the sea is calm.

We have booked a very spicy curry tonight with a head chef so that’s something to look forward to.

The sun is still shining brightly, the champagne is still flowing what’s not to like? We had our first dip in the pool today very refreshing indeed; the crew invited us for a Strawberry Pina Colada.

Just finished dinner the curry was outstanding. The ship is a bit rocky this evening but not uncomfortable.

Day at sea tomorrow let’s see what that brings, apparently a caviar and champagne around the pool awaits, that will please Mrs. Fudge!

Day 8

One week gone one week to go. Overall the standards on board have not dropped in our opinion since our last cruise with Seabourn two years ago.  The standard of food is still good although we are not high maintenance people. Not that it really bothers us however, only one person has mentioned us by name since arriving on board.

We managed to secure another booking in the TK grill next week at a decent time.

A full day of activities at sea beginning with coffee with the officers on deck seven followed by master chef cookery competition featuring Mr. and Mrs. Fudge.

The Master Chef was just fantastic.

Out team cooked fillet steak cooked in onions, garlic, brandy, mushrooms and bacon, cream with pomegranate dressing.  We made an appetizer of breaded Calamari with strawberries and fresh fruit, followed by berries and strawberries cooked down in sugar with vodka and whipped cream, all in 20 minutes! It was really fun way to spend an hour. 

The caviar and champagne party in the pool was just great, enough caviar and champagne to sink the whole ship!  Lunch today was a British lunch in the colonnade, fish and chips, steak pie, and roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, are your taste buds singing yet?

The fun never ends!  Mr. Fudge came second in the “baggo” competition, a cheap and cheery wallet for his efforts.

The “name that tune” trivial quiz was a hoot again, our team won, a classy Seabourn mug, more luggage to cart home! We need to get out more I think!

Tonight is a second class TK night in the colonnade; you have to pre book for the rib eye.

Day 9

The dinner last evening was not a great success. A few people including us sent our rib eye back, we asked for medium to well done it arrived very pink indeed; the Waldorf salad however was very nice with Blue cheese dressing.   

We arrived in Cartagena, Columbia. Cartagena de Indias is the undisputed queen of the Caribbean coast, a historic city of superbly preserved beauty lying within an impressive 13 km of century’s old colonial stone walls.

Cartagena’s old town is a UNESCO world heritage site, a maze of cobbled alleys, balconies covered in bougainvillea and massive churches that cast their shadows across leafy plazas. 

After another long sail, a chance to leave the ship and explore the Old town.

The ship is docked quite a way from the Old town which in this heat is not walkable, a local taxi costs around 20 US dollars, a shuttle bus operates throughout the day from the ship to port gate.

We arrived at the port gate to find a small wildlife park with peacocks, parrots and other wild life, really nice to see. One tip, walk all the way through the park to the large taxi rank, we got stopped before we left the park by two or three private hire guys who were very pushy indeed.

Once at the taxi rank we joined another couple off the ship and shared the cab, the guy spoke good English, we hired the cab for 20 US dollars for four of us. On arrival at the Old Town he agreed to collect us at a given time, three hours was plenty of time to explore.

The old town is well worth a visit, clean, plenty to see, yes there are some street sellers but they take no for an answer.

Pet Hate!

So, we are relaxing in our suite, in fact we are taking a snooze. The telephone rings at 1745 hrs. , its Seabourn square, “excuse me would you like to join the linen manageress at dinner tonight” or the guy who peals the potatoes, or the 4th in line at the spa?  It’s so annoying to be 3rd or 4th in line to join the crew for dinner, Seabourn need to stop that forthwith!  Rant over, get back to enjoying ourselves.

Day 10

Last evening we turned a Vegetable Madras into a beef Madras at the patio, very nice it was too.

We docked in Santa Marta, Columbia after a very rocky crossing last night; Mrs. Fudge had a disturbed sleep so she may well be grumpy today?

Santa Marta is the oldest city in the country. Columbia was founded in 1525 by Spanish Conquistadores. However, most of its colonial heritage has been destroyed over the centuries by English and Dutch pirates. You can still find pleasant plazas, old churches and tree lined streets in the atmospheric city.

I can’t believe this is our fourth morning without eating breakfast; Although Mr. Fudge still has his marching orders to bring back the coffees from Seabourn Square at some unearthly hour! We do enjoy lunch that much better though.

The description of the destination was a bit premature I’m afraid. We docked into a huge noisy container port, a short shuttle bus to the pier head, and a very short walk onto a scruffy beach surrounded by tatty souvenir shops. On the bright side, sticky ribs were offered in the Colonnade.

Well, this is getting very boring now, yet another win for our trivia team, the no balls snowballs team, a lovely gift from Seabourn.

A great sail away party with the Seabourn singers but the sea looks pretty angry to me?

We had a lovely meal in the Colonnade this evening a Thai evening which was delightful.

19 minutes ago, fudge said:

Emdee,outside or inside? The temperature outside is 30 degrees,  the ships temperature is lovely. 

Inside temp please. 

Unfortunately ‘ lovely’ is subjective... maybe reception will give you a reading of the temp. Many thanks. 

Arthritis causes my knees to seize up when it is cold . So need the information to pack accordingly. 

Visited the Caribbean a number of times but first time on Seabourn.

Day 11

We didn’t arrive to our next destination Oranjestad, Aruba until 1pm today, so it was a rocky morning on board, we do however have an overnight stay so plenty of time to explore. We have been here before and we did enjoy our time in Aruba.

Oranjestad (literally Orange Town in Dutch) is the capital and chief administrative centre of Aruba, a Caribbean nation that is located in the West Indies which remains under the jurisdiction of Netherlands.  

A question was asked about the temperature on board, inside it is a constant 23 degrees, obviously in your suite it can be different however, and if it’s too cold or warm a technician will alter it for you.

Another question was milk intolerance.

I have inquired with the crew. There are alternatives, Lactose free milk, Soy milk, almond milk and they do have oat milk but it has to be pre ordered. If you go on line in your account, or your travel agent, or direct to Seabourn they will make sure it’s available for you.

A lovely sunny day again and YET another trivia quiz win, we really do need to get out more. I now have 12 Seabourn caps, 6 mag lights, 6 wallets, 6 Seabourn mugs, a glass ship, umbrellas, a nice duffel back pack, two teddy bears, too many to mention.

We took a leisurely stroll around the town; we plan an afternoon snooze because we have a long evening planned for the New Year celebrations.

I am posting this now; I may not be in a fit state after tonight!

3 hours ago, fudge said:

Day 11

We didn’t arrive to our next destination Oranjestad, Aruba until 1pm today, so it was a rocky morning on board, we do however have an overnight stay so plenty of time to explore. We have been here before and we did enjoy our time in Aruba.

Oranjestad (literally Orange Town in Dutch) is the capital and chief administrative centre of Aruba, a Caribbean nation that is located in the West Indies which remains under the jurisdiction of Netherlands.  

A question was asked about the temperature on board, inside it is a constant 23 degrees, obviously in your suite it can be different however, and if it’s too cold or warm a technician will alter it for you.

Another question was milk intolerance.

I have inquired with the crew. There are alternatives, Lactose free milk, Soy milk, almond milk and they do have oat milk but it has to be pre ordered. If you go on line in your account, or your travel agent, or direct to Seabourn they will make sure it’s available for you.

A lovely sunny day again and YET another trivia quiz win, we really do need to get out more. I now have 12 Seabourn caps, 6 mag lights, 6 wallets, 6 Seabourn mugs, a glass ship, umbrellas, a nice duffel back pack, two teddy bears, too many to mention.

We took a leisurely stroll around the town; we plan an afternoon snooze because we have a long evening planned for the New Year celebrations.

I am posting this now; I may not be in a fit state after tonight!

Thanks, Fudge.