Taxi from FLL to port

aledomom

43 minutes ago, Bonbon65 said:

I have taken several cruises into Fort Lauderdale.  I have always taken a taxi to the airport.  The cost has ranged from $18 to $28 on the last trip.  I think the $28 was a rip off.  He crammed 4 people into the taxi and it was not metered.  He just said it would be $28 per person.  I had been gone for a month, was tired and did not call him on it. But majority of trips have been $18.

No way would I get in a flat rate per person taxi at FLL.

We did Uber when getting off the NS last month.

Wait time:  4 minutes

Fare:  around $14 (2 passengers, 2 bags)

Drive time:  10 minutes (or less)

Experience:  Great driver and clean car

It's the only way we would do that....just say no to the $79 transfer bus.

• Like 1

As a note from my experiences. I have never, in any city, seen a "per person" rate for a taxi. In some cities I have seen a meter with the notation, $2 (or something) per additional passenger for the entire ride.

What I have experienced in Fort Lauderdale is a group of people right outside the terminal selling "Airport Transfers", usually in a van or small bus, at a "per person" rate that is generally near the cost of a cab. I would stay away from those deals and walk directly to the cab dispatcher.

12 minutes ago, richwmn said:

As a note from my experiences. I have never, in any city, seen a "per person" rate for a taxi. In some cities I have seen a meter with the notation, $2 (or something) per additional passenger for the entire ride.

What I have experienced in Fort Lauderdale is a group of people right outside the terminal selling "Airport Transfers", usually in a van or small bus, at a "per person" rate that is generally near the cost of a cab. I would stay away from those deals and walk directly to the cab dispatcher.

I agree about using the cab dispatcher. Arriving at Newark Airport, I always see people near baggage claim calling out "Need a taxi?" No thanks, I go to the dispatcher, where the prices are clearly stated. 

21 minutes ago, catl331 said:

HAL's transfers per person ($38) are often about the same as a taxi for two - $18 x 2.

I dunno in this case. I frequently take the HAL transfer because it's less expensive for me as a solo than taking a taxi. 
That $38 per person sounds a lot higher than a HAL transfer in Ft. Lauderdale should be, and there could easily be a short tour included. 

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

HAL's transfers per person ($38) are often about the same as a taxi for two - $18 x 2.

Is the cost of a taxi charged per person?? If so, more of a reason to go with Uber which charges $15 per ride for up to 4 passengers (or $9 for up to 2 passengers with Uber Pool). 

27 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Is the cost of a taxi charged per person?? If so, more of a reason to go with Uber which charges $15 per ride for up to 4 passengers (or $9 for up to 2 passengers with Uber Pool). 

Not at Fort Lauderdale and not at MOST ports we have been at.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, richwmn said:

How can one know for sure if  those hustlers    have adequate  insurance in the event of an accident?  risky at best  to    get into such a vhicle loaded with so many pax and  luggage

We know any taxi with a medallion     must have adequate insurance.

image.png.24296bed93ea553a478377834c9a1a43.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

On 12/24/2019 at 10:54 AM, RuthC said:

I dunno in this case. I frequently take the HAL transfer because it's less expensive for me as a solo than taking a taxi. 
That $38 per person sounds a lot higher than a HAL transfer in Ft. Lauderdale should be, and there could easily be a short tour included. 

I think you may have overlooked OP's opening comment:  " We currently have HAL transfers scheduled from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the port for our April 1 sailing.  That is costing us $76 roundtrip." (Emphasis added.)

Since these are ROUND-TRIP transfers, the fare is exactly what it should be - $19/person for the FLL-to-Pier transfer and $19/person for the Pier-to-FLL transfer.  ($19 x 2 = $38; $38 x 2 = $76)

QED

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, avian777 said:

I think you may have overlooked OP's opening comment:  " We currently have HAL transfers scheduled from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the port for our April 1 sailing.  That is costing us $76 roundtrip." (Emphasis added.)

Since these are ROUND-TRIP transfers, the fare is exactly what it should be - $19/person for the FLL-to-Pier transfer and $19/person for the Pier-to-FLL transfer.  ($19 x 2 = $38; $38 x 2 = $76)

QED

Thanks for clarifying this.  For $19 pp it still is high if two or more traveling together, but not bad for singles.  Also, I have used it when I have OBC to burn and plenty of time at the airport.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 10:49 AM, cheone said:

The Jamaican driver is wrong about the Yellow cab.    99% of the cabs are metered, but in this case, the cab dispatcher directed to the taxi we got.  She probably received a kickback.  Before you get in make sure the cab is metered which should show the rate

on the side of the taxi.  

Jamaican?

L.