New to P&O. Help please!

Burgmeister

Hi

We have cruised with RCCI, Norwegian and Princess but not, so far, with P&O. we are looking at possibly  booking a cruise on Ventura for 2020 and wondered whether anyone could clarify where P&O stand on some points?

Firstly, are there any drinks available through the day that you don't need to pay for (thinking Tea, Coffee, juice) as there are on other cruise lines?

Are you able to take any wine on board with you as you can with Princess and RCCI? 

I understand that P&O do a kid's drinks package. How old can you be to still be classed as a "kid" for the package (our daughter is 16)? Can you get a kid's package for your offspring if you don't get any other packages for the adults?

Any other tips/differences that would be worth knowing if you are experienced cruisers of other lines trying P&O for the first time?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Hi

We have cruised with RCCI, Norwegian and Princess but not, so far, with P&O. we are looking at possibly  booking a cruise on Ventura for 2020 and wondered whether anyone could clarify where P&O stand on some points?

Firstly, are there any drinks available through the day that you don't need to pay for (thinking Tea, Coffee, juice) as there are on other cruise lines?

Are you able to take any wine on board with you as you can with Princess and RCCI? 

I understand that P&O do a kid's drinks package. How old can you be to still be classed as a "kid" for the package (our daughter is 16)? Can you get a kid's package for your offspring if you don't get any other packages for the adults?

Any other tips/differences that would be worth knowing if you are experienced cruisers of other lines trying P&O for the first time?

Thanks

Welcome.. 

Tea and coffee is available in the buffet for most of the day, but the Costa outlets are chargeable. 

Juice is free at breakfast but not the rest of the day. 

You can take 1 litre of alcohol per adult on when boarding, although this is not really checked and many take more. 

Not sure about the soft drinks packages but others will advise. 

I think the most noticeable difference to some other lines is the reasonable drinks prices, fairly in line with a town centre pub but dearer than 'Spoons'...

Have a great time if you do book. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Hi

Thanks

Great advice from Andy.

The shows on P&O are aimed at the British clientele and imo are better than RC,Princess and NCL.

Tips are included on P&O and they don't add 18% gratuities onto every drinks bill.

Our room service hot breakfast on P&O is free although limited to a hot ham and egg muffin.

RC have a much better hot room service but we are charged $7.95.

P&O always have kettle's in your cabin but RC only do this on Southampton sailings.

£sterling is currency on board whereas it is $ on most other cruiselines.

IMG_20190823_190210.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks both of you, very helpful

If I can get the kids package without needing to buy any others then that would be OK. Neither my wife nor I drink enough to make a drinks package worthwhile.

Good that they have kettles in the cabins - we rarely go anywhere without a supply of teabags!

Just another query, can you take soft drinks on board with you - should you so desire?

I think you can take as many soft drinks as you like :-)

Re the alcohol - it is a far better deal than US lines like Princess or Celebrity. You can take a bottle of wine each on embarkation or a litre EACH of spirits. Sadly it is not as good as it used to be when you could take what you wanted at each port but it is a far better deal than other lines. As someone has said, the prices for alcohol are so much cheaper too - just remember though that a UK measure is half of a US one when it comes to spirits ……………. I discovered this having ordered a double brandy and soda on Celebrity for a nightcap …………………………….

If you go with an open mind and are happy to embrace something different you will have a lovely time. We have done RCI, Celebrity and P&O and would sail will any of them again in a heartbeat.

Have to say --- to be  bit of a 'downer' sorry -- that Ventura was not our favourite ship though ….

• Like 1

Thanks Presto that's very helpful.

When Andy mentioned that you could take 1L each aboard I assumed it was wine so that's really interesting.

I understand that Ventura isn't the best ship in the fleet but, if we book, I'm sure we will make the most of it. 

47 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

When Andy mentioned that you could take 1L each aboard I assumed it was wine so that's really interesting.

I understand that Ventura isn't the best ship in the fleet but, if we book, I'm sure we will make the most of it. 

Ventura may not be the newest ship in the fleet but she is probably our favourite, unless Iona turns out to be really special.

• Like 1

Ventura should be fine.  I sailed 35 nights in February USA & Caribbean only because my dad wanted to visit New Orleans.  Thought she was too big for my personal preference.  However I had a wonderful cruise and did not want to get off at the end. I would happily sail on Ventura again in the future.

• Like 1

We sometimes wonder if we just didn't like our cabin and that didn't help. The weather was terrible too (mid August) on a very sea day 'heavy' cruise and we hated the indoor pool area.

LOVED Azura last year though - but we had fabulous weather early April and the cabin was perfect for us.

We were going to give Ventura another go but swapped it for a Fly / Med on Azura instead.

Whatever, it sounds like Burgmeister has a great attitude and will just go and have a good time :-)

• Like 1

The size of the ship doesn't bother me - most of our cruises have been on big ships - IOTS, FOTS and Epic. The other 2 cruises were on the slightly smaller (but still big) Explorer of the Seas and the actually smaller Sapphire Princess.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to add your input - much appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can book this cruise now as I can't get the week off work ☹️

Shame as the deal was an absolute stonker! At least I now know how things currently work on P&O so I can keep them in mind for future plans.

6 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can book this cruise now as I can't get the week off work ☹️

Shame as the deal was an absolute stonker! At least I now know how things currently work on P&O so I can keep them in mind for future plans.

That's a shame, but keep your eyes peeled as there seems to be a few good deals with P&O creeping in. 

Andy 

23 hours ago, Burgmeister said:

We have been on Ventura 4 times and always enjoyed it.

Ventura has a retractable roof over the pool which makes it perfect for any weather conditions.

Just as an aside, as always, everyone has been very helpful here, but virtually every one of your questions is answered on the P&O FAQ page.  Hopefully you will cruuse with P&O in the future, so I thought it might be worth mentioning the FAQ page, as you will then get instant answers to your  queries. 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:00 PM, Burgmeister said:

As we are booked for 35 days on Ventura,  can you tell me why she isn't the best (or second, or third or fourth) best ship ? 

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As we are booked for 35 days on Ventura,  can you tell me why she isn't the best (or second, or third or fourth) best ship ? 

Very little difference between the two ships apart from thr indoor pool/sea screen. We like both but tend to be more on Ventura as we do not fly.

However we like all the other ships as well.

6 hours ago, daiB said:

Very little difference between the two ships apart from thr indoor pool/sea screen. We like both but tend to be more on Ventura as we do not fly.

However we like all the other ships as well.

That would be my feeling as well.

I was wondering why the OP had the unsubstantiated impression that Ventura was not the "best" ship in the fleet.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

There is nothing wrong with Ventura, I think it is more to do with itineraries and fellow passengers that have put some people off. 

Think back to the summer when there were reports of a large group seemingly taking over the ship unchallenged, that would put a downer on most people's holidays. 

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time Wowzz, as we will after boarding her today. 

So far, Ventura is not my favourite ship, but only because I have had better holidays on others. 

That could all change in the next few days. 

Andy 

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

There is nothing wrong with Ventura, I think it is more to do with itineraries and fellow passengers that have put some people off. 

Think back to the summer when there were reports of a large group seemingly taking over the ship unchallenged, that would put a downer on most people's holidays. 

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time Wowzz, as we will after boarding her today. 

So far, Ventura is not my favourite ship, but only because I have had better holidays on others. 

That could all change in the next few days. 

Andy 

Andy - have a great cruise. My view is that it is your fellow passengers that determines if you have a good cruise,  not the ship.

We are looking forward to Ventura, but ghave two more cruises  (Oceana and Arcadia) before then.

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I was wondering why the OP had the unsubstantiated impression that Ventura was not the "best" ship in the fleet

Just now, wowzz said:

Andy - have a great cruise. My view is that it is your fellow passengers that determines if you have a good cruise,  not the ship.

We are looking forward to Ventura, but ghave two more cruises  (Oceana and Arcadia) before then.

Thanks Wowzz. 

Of course you are right, that unfortunately is what has given Ventura a bit of negativity. 

We are not fans of Oceana in the winter, but that is more to do with the layout. The plus side to this is it was so friendly as you had no choice but to chat to other passengers as there are no quieter areas. 

We have not had a bad cruise yet and believe P&O give us enough to make the most of any ship. 

Happy cruising Wowzz. 

Andy 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I was wondering why the OP had the unsubstantiated impression that Ventura was not the "best" ship in the fleet.

I have read a number of reviews (admittedly not recently) that were not glowing in their opinions of Ventura. My response saying that I was aware that Ventura may not be the best ship in the fleet was in reply to Presto2's comment "Have to say --- to be  bit of a 'downer' sorry -- that Ventura was not our favourite ship though "

I think most of the reviews that were negative were from people that may not have been the target market for Ventura. As I understand it, Ventura is a large, family focused, ship  that doesn't suit everyone  - having said that I read similar reviews of the IotS before we sailed on her and we loved that ship.

Obviously, never having cruised on P&O let alone the Ventura, I can't offer any first hand opinion of her, however, as I said, the reviews I read were, on the whole, less than great. As you can see from my original query I have not let this put me off from thinking of booking on her.

On another point that you mentioned - the P&O FAQ. Thank you for pointing this out and its interesting to know that all of my questions could have been answered by reading that. I would, of course, not have received the other interesting titbits and opinions had I done that but I realise that some people get annoyed by forumites asking questions that could be found by doing their own research and for that I apologise. Personally, I am happy to answer anyone's questions regarding a ship I have sailed on whether they could get that information elsewhere or not - there is no substitute for real-world experience in my view.

Edited by Burgmeister
  • Like 1